Spitfire 1500 Engine- Its running Well again :)

Anglefire

I don’t think Chris does a pump for the Spitfire. 

I’m going to try and blue print mine and see how it goes. I have the old one still - but that is not in good condition. 

Though i still have to take the measurements of the body to outer and outer to star yet. If they are out then the pump is pretty much scrap - which will be disappointing to say the least. 

1 hour ago, Guppy916 said:

they could be the same

They aren't.  6 pot ones are larger capacity and have a different drive shaft.  I'm not sure if the bolt pattern is the same (might be possible to swap the shaft if it is).

If the rotor to star-ring and ring to body dimensions are ok then end-float is easy to correct.  If they are out then you need a new one.  And you need to measure new ones too and send back any that are out of tolerance (and KEEP doing it until you get one that is in tolerance!)

Nick

21 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

And you need to measure new ones too and send back any that are out of tolerance (and KEEP doing it until you get one that is in tolerance!)

As Nick say's my first new one was so far out, almost as bad as the one I took out of the engine, thats where Mr Witor joined the party

1 hour ago, johny said:

out of interest how long did it take to do each bore and whats the procedure?

Well, I watched a YouTube video to get the principle!

Essentially, you have a bucket of water and some 10-30 oil.

Wet the stones in the water initially and just shake/damp off the excess water.

Oil the stones (I put it in a small cup actually and dipped them in.

Put the device in the bore on a drill and turn it on (I'd set the pressure to be not too firm) Quite quickly go up and down the bore with the stones rotating to aim to get the 45deg look on the bores. (It's not easy!) 

After every 30 up/downs remove the stones and put in the water - turn the drill on (Not too fast - you have been warned!) to wash the stones of the resultant paste of ground stone and metal. 

Damp off the water and re-oil the stones.

Repeat until you are satisfied. I did this about 3 times per bore. 

On 11/03/2019 at 22:03, johny said:

Looks like the angled one is supposed to give improved 'oil pick up performance' and the suction pipe certainly looks longer than the older type. There has been reports of replacement pumps having poor clearances from new and yours does sound a bit on the big side (how are the other two measurements?) but dont forget the pressure relief valve is supposed to open at 45 - 55psi. In fact the PRV is something else to check as it could be stuck open or its spring weakened.....

Finally measured the other two dimensions tonight - both in spec - around 2.5thou.

And I've blueprinted it now and taken off a couple of thou off the body and is now at about 2.5thou - slightly more as its a easy fit, but can't get the next size feeler in. Happy with that,

Least I can now get the pump in and refit the sump.

Once the head is also back on, I'll take the dizzy out and prime the pump and see what it does..........

Refitted the head, rocker shaft and water pump, thermostat housing tonight.

One thing I did notice when I fitted the rocker (Its  one I fitted some while ago - new with bushed rockers etc.) the grub screw was loose at the end of the shaft - I assume this should be tight? But should it be locktighted in?

Whilst waiting for the delivery of the Loctite today, I refitted the oil pump and sump last night. 

Im also waiting for the water drain plug fibre washer so I can refit that plug. It’s something that doesn’t come in any of the top or bottom gasket sets. Slightly annoying for a 20p item. 

I’ve also got to fit the new heater pipe from the pump to the heater pipes though noticed that there isn’t a swage on the end where the pipes clamp - the old one did though that didn’t have the bracket to bolt it to the manifold- hence why I’m changing it. 

Dont know how much I’ll get done this weekend a i have to work ( depressing I know) 

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

What oil should I use for it’s first run? Running in oil? Or just something like Halfords classic oil?

I'd go with something cheap and cheerful like Halfords or even Comma classic. It'll provide enough lubrication for the hundred miles or so that it's going to be in there.