Most valuable washer ever?

Mike R

This ammused me so thought I’d share ....

Just fitting shiny new exhaust and found this washer used on one of the exhaust clamps.

Probably could have bought 10 washers for that price!

It’s dated as 1968 and “10 new pence”

ED3BE012-77B3-4356-9250-2E5DD063FC9A.jpeg

• Like 3

1968 coins were prototypes; I have one lying about somewhere and researched it when I saw the date. I think the 10p coins came in around 1969 and all others followed within a year or two. 

Being a lazy b..... I just use Danish coins which have the hole already drilled.... brought a few home with me last time and have no other use for them.

kronor.jpg

mrantell,

it is fortunate that you chose to show the reverse of that coin, else you may have been guilty of the heinous offence of Defacing the Image of Her Majesty, for which the penalty was death until as recently as 1832, when it was commuted to penal servitude for life.   

But it is reassuring to see how robust is our coinage.   Our currency is a different matter - to use a piece of money as valuable today as 10p in 1968 would need a £1 coin!

John

Once again proving the forum motto "It's only a bodge if someone else finds it"

I fitted a power shower and needed a blanking washer for the old shower head connection, a 6p was ideal. Now Her Maj watches occupants of the bath. I suppose I could be in trouble if the coin was the other way around and her face in the water. Hung in chains in the Thames waiting for high tide was a popular choice for watery villains.

Doug 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Once again proving the forum motto "It's only a bodge if someone else finds it"

I fitted a power shower and needed a blanking washer for the old shower head connection, a 6p was ideal. Now Her Maj watches occupants of the bath. I suppose I could be in trouble if the coin was the other way around and her face in the water. Hung in chains in the Thames waiting for high tide was a popular choice for watery villains.

Doug 

Now where did i put that "nine bob note"? 

4 hours ago, mark powell said:

That's a 6 d coin (tanner, half - bob...)    D, pre decimal, P, post decimal...    I'll get my anorak. 

My thoughts exactly! There's a difference between d and p, and not just that you can go for a p. It's a bit like talking about an imperial metric spanner.

Thankfully as John says our coinage is robust; the same can't be said of these plastic notes, which won't even make a decent paper aeroplane any more.

I had forgotten that  the “New Pence” coinage  was introduced so much in advance of the  actual ”Decimilisation  Day “, if that is how it was spelt.

Some folk were quite put out by it.

There was a lady interviewed in the street ( probably Fife Robinson on the “Tonight”  programme) who thought it  would be   better  “To  delay it - at least until all the old people had died”.

Edited by Vanadium23
me grammar

On 03/03/2019 at 10:45, Colin Lindsay said:

Being a lazy b..... I just use Danish coins which have the hole already drilled.... brought a few home with me last time and have no other use for them.

Yep, but worth more than a halv £, so would guess still an expensive washer?

:-)

/Jens - Copenhagen

Just to drift a little, I decided to clean out my "Too useful to throw away" box and found this. It became obsolete on decimalisation day in 1971. So this got into my box around then, in my Mini traveller days.  And yes, there were Mini bits in the box, I've thrown the Mini stuff away which almost certainly means I'll need it next week. 

SL380739.thumb.JPG.8e3640eda9e7883ee0cc82f9589f2fe1.JPGSL380740.thumb.JPG.fd645cef275c261a458658fb494250c2.JPG

Doug

1 hour ago, jmh said:

Yep, but worth more than a halv £, so would guess still an expensive washer?

🙂

/Jens - Copenhagen

True, but only if I go back again.....

Anyway, didn't we used to use 1p pieces in the Waxstat conversions back in the day? THAT was a cheap fix.

Its being argued now that we do away with 'copper' coins.   After all, except for marketing prices at £X.99, what can you buy for 1p? Or 2p?

And the £5 coin is being designed, but serious discussion if it will ever be needed as we go cashless, cards for everything.

J.