Running Hot?

Darren Groves

2L MK1 Vitesse recently purchased (not by me) and the temp gauge reads around 2/3 to 3/4 when up to normal temp. Owner has had radiator recored, fitted new 82° Thermostat, temp sender, hoses, heater valve and flushed rest of waterways but still reads hot.

It's come to me to have a variety of jobs done, but to look at this also. The engine bay didn't seem particularly hot, so far we have tried alternative Thermostat, Temp Sender, & gauge. Replaced voltage stabiliser. The top hose gets warm, but the bottom hose is noticeably cooler. I've used a infrared thermometer and it confirms the top hose & top of radiator is much warmer that the bottom hose and bottom of radiator. Hoses into and out of Smith's Heater Valve are hot and you get heat inside the car.

Took off the water pump expecting to see it in poor condition, but that looked in good shape.

When changing the thermostat, there was no water in the top hose, the natural water level is at the thermostat. This is a thing in both Herald & Vitesse as the radiator filler cap is lower that the highest point of the cooling system, so I did raise the front and run with the cap off and fill as much as I could, but again no difference.

Am I missing something obvious here or is there anything else worth looking at?

Darren

DSC_7566.jpg

I did a similar job for a friend years ago. He complained it was always running hot. 

I first fitted a capillary gauge, that I had tested in boiling water (and read 100)

Took for a drive etc, and it read at a steady 80-85 degrees. So bang on correct. I then tried a variety of senders and gauges I had in a box until I got a combo that read bang in the middle. Chap thought I was a genius!

Right from the start I have felt it was a gauge reading high, but the difference in temps at the top and the bottom of the rad seemed odd.

The 2 senders I have used on it are black near the spade connector, but the one in my Spitfire project is red...may try that one to see if the colour does actually mean something.

Hello Darren,

I had a similar experience on a friends car - not a Triumph.

The correct temp sensor should be red, but the gauge was reading far too high (in the red) and the electric fan was not cutting in - slightly disconcerting !!

I changed to black, and the reading read correctly on the gauge - the car was running fine coolant temperature wise and as such the fan was not required to cut in.

To date I have not been able to understand why the incorrect temp sensor was actually the "correct one" to use.

In life, not everything is understandable !!!

Regards.

Richard.

Your right about the rad filler cap being lower than the heater but Ive found that on the first run after system filling the heater should fill (I achieve this by opening and closing the heater water control valve a few times) and then should stay filled by syphon effect. The rad might then need a top up but the system should remain stable unless theres a leak somewhere. If small this can be undetectable under pressure as the water leaking flashes off to steam however on cooling the slight vacuum produced draws air in which eventually causes the heater to lose prime. 

If the hot running is real it could be causes by fuel mixture. I had air ingress via the carb spindles which gave a weak mixture which I couldnt adjust for and made the engine produce more heat than it should.....

18 minutes ago, johny said:

Your right about the rad filler cap being lower than the heater but Ive found that on the first run after system filling the heater should fill (I achieve this by opening and closing the heater water control valve a few times) and then should stay filled by syphon effect. The rad might then need a top up but the system should remain stable unless theres a leak somewhere. If small this can be undetectable under pressure as the water leaking flashes off to steam however on cooling the slight vacuum produced draws air in which eventually causes the heater to lose prime. 

If the hot running is real it could be causes by fuel mixture. I had air ingress via the carb spindles which gave a weak mixture which I couldnt adjust for and made the engine produce more heat than it should.....

You get heat in the car and the hoses to and from the heater valve are hot. The filler is quite a bit lower than the highest point of the top hose and thermostat housing, so that was more of a concern. There are no leaks and the rad maintains it's level fine.

The car was running a bit too rich when it came in so we have weakened off a bit, but that's had no impact on the temp reading.  

ok how does the car behave when you stop after a good run? Does the temperature increase rapidly on tickover or stay the same - this can be a good indicator of how much spare 'capacity' there is in the cooling system and whether you are actually running hot....

There are only two temperature senders

Stabilised  GTR108  mostly black 

Non stabilised 121997   mostly green

Get the them mixed and you get hot readings 

Smiths did red green, brown and black to identify type and voltage but generic makes seem all black

To bleed the high point  just release the top heater hose enough to let air out , do it hot engine running   .then top up when cooled .

2 minutes ago, johny said:

ok how does the car behave when you stop after a good run? Does the temperature increase rapidly on tickover or stay the same - this can be a good indicator of how much spare 'capacity' there is in the cooling system and whether you are actually running hot....

The temp goes up normally and peaks at the high reading, no rapid changes.

5 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

There are only two temperature senders

Stabilised  GTR108  mostly black 

Non stabilised 121997   mostly green

Get the them mixed and you get hot readings 

Smiths did red green, brown and black to identify type and voltage but generic makes seem all black

Will try the red one out of my Spitty tomorrow....

Why not just use one of these to be on the safe side? I keep one in my Dolly 1850 just in case. Temp gauge was coming close to red in traffic last summer  turned out to be 89Degrees. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handheld-LCD-Digital-Laser-Thermometer-Temperature-Infrared-Non-Contact-IR-Gun/142456227542?hash=item212b0d86d6:g:DEsAAOSwKoFa6VIo Dirt cheap as well.

Tony.

Sounds like an instrumentation issue to me.

I don’t understand your issue with the radiator? It’s meant to cool the water so The bottom hose is supposed to be cooler than the top one. The problem comes when it isn’t!

I don’t think it’s you problem here but sometimes the inside of the pump housing corrodes and the parts that are meant to be close to the pump impeller are not and the pump doesn’t pump very well.

the IR thermometer is a very convenient tool but note that they are not very accurate. I prefer digital thermometer in the top of the rad.

8 hours ago, poppyman said:

Why not just use one of these to be on the safe side? I keep one in my Dolly 1850 just in case. Temp gauge was coming close to red in traffic last summer  turned out to be 89Degrees. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handheld-LCD-Digital-Laser-Thermometer-Temperature-Infrared-Non-Contact-IR-Gun/142456227542?hash=item212b0d86d6:g:DEsAAOSwKoFa6VIo Dirt cheap as well.

Tony.

I have, as mentioned in my original post. 

Cheers

Probably just a poor modern repro sender. When I rebuilt my original 1147 engine I put a new sender in, started to get very worried when first run as the temp gauge went way too high but all felt perfect. Sourced a new old stock temp sensor and problem solved.

Could be worthwhile re flushing the cooling system including the heater matrix.

Despite rad being re-cored etc, if there was sediment elsewhere that's then washed through and partially blocked flow through the radiator could this explain the anomaly of the top hose being empty etc.

Just a thought as a possible course of action to negate that side of things?

Last year the temp gauge in my 13/60 started to read high but all seemed to be correct otherwise, not actually too hot. I suspected the stabiliser so replaced it with a solid state version, gauge started to read at an acceptable level again.

I agree with Nick, it sounds like an instrumentation issue. The gauges are old and of doubtful calibration. 

For the electronically/electrical techies there are test resistors you can substitute for the temp/fuel sender to test the gauge. That is if you have ensured the 10 volt voltage stabiliser is working correctly first.

The values are - 

Full/Hot  =      20 Ohms. (As not a preferred value, use Two 10 Ohms in series) Or 18 Ohm preferred value, but may read slightly high.

Half/Normal = 72 Ohms. (As not a preferred value, use Four 18 Ohms in series) Or 68 Ohm preferred value, but may read slightly high.

Empty/Cold =  270 Ohms. This is a preferred value.*

* A preferred value is one that is available off the shelf and readily available.

I have known black paint being applied to the temp sender to reduce the reading to a more correct value.

I was told by a Standard Triumph Technician that the green temp senders were used in cars being exported to Switzerland. 

Dave

james paddock show green ones   

cia gauge make all the smiths parts 

you need one of these  

TT1003-38B IND   3/8"BSP THREAD,1/4" LUCAR TERMINAL    
TT1201-2N IND   1/2 NPTF DATCON LOW EARTH RETURN    
TT1201-38N IND 3/8 NPTF DATCON LOW EARTH RETURN    
TT1201-4N IND 1/4 NPTF DATCON LOW EARTH RETURN    
TT1201-8N IND 1/8 NPTF DATCON LOW EARTH RETURN    
TT1203-2N IND 1/2 NPTF 240-33R EARTH RETURN    
TT1203-38N IND 3/8 NPTF 240-33R EARTH RETURN    
TT1307-2N IND 1/2"NPTF 60-165 DEG.C 10X32 UNF STUD 658054