Burning oil?

daverclasper

Thanks.  The other plugs are quite sooty black, though dry, which is usual for this car when driving in Bristol.

No 2 cylinder is also quite dark/black, though looks damp/shiny. Thought it maybe some unburnt petrol, mixing with the soot, though can't smell any petrol.

cheers, Dave   

Dave,  next time in yer car, get it warm,ish,

use 3 rd, foot ont brake an foot flat t,the floor

around abouts 3-3500 RPMS,

hold it there for a while,

or fin a bigg hill, and doo same, a few times/

this,l build some pressure up int cyles, and get gasses b,hint the rings,

idea is t,get the rings t,get pushed into bore, and maybe burn off some glaze.

M

Gave it a bit more stick going to and back from "Twiddle Day". 4000 rpm in 3rd, up motorway inclines and even up to 5000 accelerating in 3rd (when you overtook me Pete I WAS tootling, though ONLY because, trying to glance at map, as thought I was bit lost. Ha.

Anyway. Suspect plug was clean and healthy looking when got home  and car felt crisper and pulling better.

Wow, anyone can feel like there driving a Ferrari, after a good old fashioned, "Italian tune up".

Dave

Edited by daverclasper

Thanks. It's always used a bit of oil, maybe on average a pint every 1,000 miles.

Never showed on the plugs though, so was only wondering and curious what this recent development might be and getting a bit paranoid as usual for me.

I'll stop worrying, hopefully!.

Cheers, Dave

+1 t,above

plus yer oil maybe past it !!

I noticed on my olde engine, when new oil was put in, it did,nt smake as much

and did,nt pink at certain revs

after about 1000 miles,ish, it started t,pink an smoke

wot yer running as oil, and hoo olde is it

M

Classic, heritage 20/50. Been in about 6 months and 1500 miles, though quite a bit of that in the city. That's usual driving conditions for me and in the past I have only changed it yearly, at about 3000 miles and that was Wilko classic (Always had good oil pressure that never altered between oil changes). Now I understand it's best to change every 6 months. Will do it soon.   

Dave 

Edited by daverclasper

To support Pete's feedback. I bought two new Triumphs, one in the 1960's and one in the 1970's, and fitted oil pressure gauges to both. The oil pressure was fine up to 3k miles. Then after this it started to reduce. I am told the cause is the multigrade oil starts to come apart. The engine in the 1970's car, a Toledo, did 125k miles before it needed a rebuild.

They were every day cars and as I now lay my Triumphs up over winter, though the mileage is far less than 3k, I do change the oil every year.

Dave