no vin plate

coxy123

there are documents the club can provide but  you need to have the car checked by a club official to verify at best that what you have is correct   this can regain a  lost  car  registration  or V5

i guess you have the registration   does it have any mot  or tax history    eg.......https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

i have no idea if gaydon  are prepared can search by reg. as that makes clones  easy 

they require  

Thank you for choosing to buy a Heritage Certificate. In order for us to complete your order you will need to provide us with the following information:

• Marque and Model of your vehicle
  • Car Number/Chassis Number/VIN

Pete

I've been following this thread.... So you bought a car with no numbers and no paperwork? Aren't you worried that when you go though the authorities to register it, it'll come up stolen or written off? It must have been cheap to take that gamble. 

On 27/04/2019 at 09:08, RogerH said:

without the numbers how will Heritage find the info !!!

Roger

they found the commission number for me by engine number body number, and supplied photos.

it took them longer but they found the commission number (this was a GT6 don't know if a TR7 is the same.

Coxy,  Do you know the registration number ?

without the registration number it’s almost impossible to do anything.  If you find out the Commission/VIN and don’t have the registration number you are still stuck.  The DVLA and the Police won’t tell you the Registration Number if you have the VIN. 

key numbers

engine number

gb number

axle number,

thee,s got me a reg for the 1st spitty i had, which had no records,or number plate

all lost. as it wer all in bits, in diff places over 3 towns

but they managed t trace its reg, where it wer sold at originally, an gev me me reg back.

all I could tell,m was it wer a H plate an a damson colour

11 hours ago, GT6M said:

key numbers

engine number

gb number

axle number,

thee,s got me a reg for the 1st spitty i had, which had no records,or number plate

all lost. as it wer all in bits, in diff places over 3 towns

but they managed t trace its reg, where it wer sold at originally, an gev me me reg back.

all I could tell,m was it wer a H plate an a damson colour

Marcus,

Was that BMIHT or the Police or the DVLA ?

Even though both the Police and the DVLA have the ability to look up a VIN/Commission number and tell you what the registration number is, its illegal for them to actually do it without proper cause, and simply tracing a car where the registration number is unknown is not proper cause.  If for example, the Police themselves came across the remains of a car with no registration plates, and believed that it was stolen, or involved in a crime, then they could use the VIN/Commission number to trace the registration to find out who owned it to go and see them.

In the old days, a friendly Copper would have a quick peek on the computer to look it up for you, but these days there are too many audit checks in place and they would be found out and sacked if they tried that now.

Ello Kevin, BMHIT,

cost me all of 13£ all them years ago

what kem back was just aboot every thing I could want

on a sort of classy bit of a folder / poster thingy, it wer blue ish aroond edges,  { cant think what they called at moment,  }

Marcus, you were very lucky.

BMIHT can trace a lot of stuff from the engine number on most cars, and from the other numbers on the older cars.

What they cant normally do is to tell you the registration number as that wasn't allocated until the car was sold by the dealership and that data was never fed back to the factory records.

Assuming that the engine in the car is the original engine, BMIHT can probably trace the build record from the engine number - if its not the original engine then you will get a certificate for the build record of the car in which the engine was originally delivered !

Once you have the certificate, it will normally tell you the dealership that the car was sent to.

Assuming that the dealership is still in business you could approach them and ask them to go through their registration records for the time - you might hit lucky.

If they are out of business, then that's probably the end of the road.

Checked the cars registration on dvla checker website before buying it. All came back clean.

Spoke to dvla, they gave me the impression it wasn't a big deal and to send form off .

Time will tell. I'll keep you posted 

If you have the registration number, and if the make and model agrees with DVLA's records for that number, they're usually fairly relaxed about lost V5s. They will write to the last recorded keeper at their last recorded address, to confirm that it's a genuine sale. However, if they don't get a reply they seem to assume it is. When I sent off the "lost V5" form for my Spitfire, which I'd acquired from my brother, the last address they had for it was two houses ago for him, so they couldn't contact him. I got the new V5 in about a month.

They don't seem to care much about other details. I've told them at least twice about the engine change but the V5 keeps coming back with the original number!