Hello from Yorkshire

Hello people. 

My name is Craig. I'm looking for a nice MkII GT6 as my first classic Triumph. 

I reckon I'll need all the help and advice I can get (which, of course will be gratefully received). 

Thanks, Craig 

Hi Craig, great choice of car but you do need to be fairly nimble getting in and out of them😂 Unfortunately the price of these, especially with the desirable overdrive, has shot up just recently so be prepared to pay a considerable sum if you want a restored one. They are now getting close to some TR6 prices which seem to have fallen back possibly due to an influx of ex USA models. Let us know what your plan is as you'll certainly get loads of tips and info on here....

Hi Craig. Congratulations on finding the forum and welcome. You will get loads of help here... just ask, or use the search function. A lot of problems have already been solved here, they can be a little difficult to track down sometimes so don't be afraid to ask.

3 hours ago, johny said:

Hi Craig, great choice of car but you do need to be fairly nimble getting in and out of them😂 Unfortunately the price of these, especially with the desirable overdrive, has shot up just recently so be prepared to pay a considerable sum if you want a restored one. They are now getting close to some TR6 prices which seem to have fallen back possibly due to an influx of ex USA models. Let us know what your plan is as you'll certainly get loads of tips and info on here....

Thanks. We were considering dipping our toe in the world of classic ownership with a tidy Spitfire. But we are dog owners, and the GT6 has at least a small amount of space.
I wanted a TR5 but they're outside our price range, and I'm not as keen on the TR6.

What is the general opinion on Spitfire bodied GT6s? Or do they lose that tiny "rear seat" space?

The rear seat area is teh same on pit and GT6, however the hood folds into that area, so reducing the size.

Unless you get a mk1 or 2 spit with the hoodsticks.

As to gitfires, I quite like them. best (and worst) of both really, but depends what you want. If pootling about I wouldn't bother and get a 4 cylinder spitfire. If you prefer a coupe, get a GT6. If you want it powerful and to handle.... oh, I could go on. and on. and on.

#Best g=bet is to attend some Triumph meetings, befriend (or buy a drink or 2) and blag some rides in the cars.

Agree with all above. When my GT6 (Mk3) needed a full body rebuild I did toy with a Sptifire conversion but opted to keep it coupe. It just seems to suit the character better. I have a 4-pot Spitfire, too, of course (although it was many years from being roadworthy at the time).

2 hours ago, Rijidij said:

Thanks. We were considering dipping our toe in the world of classic ownership with a tidy Spitfire. But we are dog owners, and the GT6 has at least a small amount of space.
I wanted a TR5 but they're outside our price range, and I'm not as keen on the TR6.

What is the general opinion on Spitfire bodied GT6s? Or do they lose that tiny "rear seat" space?

For a dog I think its got to be a GT6 as the 'boot' area would suit a small to medium sized one. I certainly used to get a mate in there many moons ago, laying on the flat area, but even I wouldnt have put him in the boot of a Spitfire😲

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Not sure about the black window surround though.

Mk2 should have a black surround (John Thomason's ''Guide to Originality'); which is enough of a pedant today having lost my temper at mistakes in yesterday's Times in articles on D-Day!

Dick

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Mk2 should have a black surround

Not quite. The black surround was introduced in the 1970 face lift, as it was on the Mk3 Spitfire, along with changes to the badging and rear number plate light. The reprinted motoring press articles I have for the Mk2 GT6 (and the US GT6+) all show the windscreen frame in body colour.

• Thanks 1