compression test results

iana

Today hasnt been a good day, after a good drive in the vitesse the plugs we removed to check the state of tune of the carbs, adjustments made but the car was running badly. so in the end we did a compression test on the vitesse, the results are 220 , 140 , 140 , 140 , 75 and 75.

More investigations to follow but I'm assuming cyclinder 5 and 6 would suggest a head gasket failure, what would the cause of cyclinder 1 be?

Compression testing is most procedure dependant!   Worth practicing.

Have the engine fully warmed (you did that), WIRE the throttle wide open*, have all the plugs out, observe the reading to stabilise each time.   Do it two or three times, especially if not a procedure familiar to you, so have a running modern connected by jump leads, to ensure that a draining battery is not a cause of poor operation.   

The oil in the chamber is a secondary test, NOT part of the process.    It promotes sealing of the rings, and will raise compression briefly.    If it doesn't, then a low compression is due to a valve seal problem.

How is the car "running badly"?    What made you do a compression test?  

John

*PS If you are on carbs, it takes a finite time to raise the piston, even with WOT, because of the dashpot.    This delays achievement of true compression.  Remove the dashpot pistons, and ideally the carbs, whereupon no throttle wiring is needed!  J.

As its going to affect all cylinders I think whatever procedure you use its equal readings and not the actual figures reached thats most important. And surely if sparkplugs are out you dont need to worry about the carbs as we're only talking starter motor engine speed?

as said its important there is no restriction in the intake , rather than remove the air pistons hold them up /open with a slim block of anything handy

a good battery

have the engine Hot.

throttles and air pistons are OPEN

all plugs out so there is no drag on the starter motor

repeat to see reading  are repeatable 

the 220  figure on No1 is abnormal  a 'rough' guide is atmospheric x comp ratio  so  14.7  x  8.5  =  125  

low results often down to un balanced and  closed throttles  

so free up the intakes loose the plugs and have a read about soiled plug failures  

41 minutes ago, clive said:

Removing plugs means no compression on the cylinders not being tested, so the starter motor has a much easier job. No other reason. And as all plugs need to come out at some point, do them all at once. Just mark the leads.

Ok

ahhh realise Ive had a senior moment in thinking the cylinder being comp tested could drawn air in through the spark plug hole but of course thats where the tester is installed! doh🙄

No idea what could give a high reading like that: wrong piston, huge build up of carbon?

7 hours ago, johny said:

No idea what could give a high reading like that: wrong piston, huge build up of carbon?

One possibility, given that the original test wasn't done with the throttle open, is that the manifold gasket has failed on that cylinder so it was getting more air than the others.

That would certainly contribute to rough running.  5 & 6 @ 75 psi won't be helping either, especially if it is the HG blown between them.  If it's a Mk1 engine, HGF between cylinders is quite common.

Nick

Pete's formula for compression (Atmospheric x CR) is attractive, but theoretical, and no doubt is a valuable rule of thumb (the best rules!)

But to compare the pressures found by different operators, using different gauges, is definitely not valid.      The conditions of the engines and the weather on different days, in different places, and that compression gauges are not precision instruments, not calibrated and often roughly treated, make that so!    The only valid comparison is one engine, across the block, or else two engines, carefully warmed up to the same state and prepared and tested on the same day in the same place. 

Try again, Iain, bearing in mind all the advice above!

John

Thanks all, the issue is beyond my abilities to fix so have sought help. I'll update after further investigations as to the issues found, the plan is to re-do the compression test tomorrow to confirm the differencies between the cyclinders and take it from there.

I'm certainly on a steep learning curve with this car!

After a day of working on the car with a local area member, the compression test was redone to confirm the results, this gave similar results so the decision was made to remove the head and see what was found. The head gasket had failed between 5 / 6 see picture (the oil was to check the pistons were ok). The head was washed down and checked, I need to order parts now so there will be a delay until later this week.

Its a 1967 MK1 vitesse, any recommendations of a supplier (i was going to use Paddocks). Theres a few other things I need to order to put the car back together - any ideas where I could get a bottom radiator hose? They appear out of stock at the places I'd normally use.

IMG_0831.jpg

in stock at rimmer bros  https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID007807

for head get some HD washers from canley they do HD nuts as well if needed 

i would use canley for a gasket kit .

look at your old washers bet they have deformed under the torque and thats why the gaskets gone .the load on the nut has relaxed ...very common problem

pete

• Thanks 1

Doug when the compression tests were redone with a different guage the readings 1-4 were all around 120 - 130 and 5/6 was down at 40 (can't remember the exact numbers). What we did find however on stripping the manifold was that the recently fitted manifold gasket was poorly fitted around cyclinder 1 and also the quality wasnt the best (this had been done by my local garage so Ive learnt my lesson and wont bother using them again and I will be wary with the parts supplier as well)

• Thanks 1

I would remove the studs and with an oily wet and dryon a flat hard  block   really clean the block back to clean steel , no deposits 

note the suds have a slot to allow any oil down the thread to escape   and some are longer ( to fit odd bits. tube brackets etc.   onto at the back of the head )

easy way to pop the valves out  is  a socket under the head, another socket over the collets   give it a good whack and the collets pop out

needs a spring compressor to  re fit though.  if you use a SC to remove it pays to use the socket and whack to break the initial stick of the collets or you can 

fail the tool before the collets let go.  they do get a good grip 

always keep a cornflakes  packet to make 12 holes marked front so each valve and push rod go back where they came from

pete

I understand the Mk1 manifold is not a great design as gasket sealing goes and this is compounded by new gaskets not being so good.

I have seen old threads on this problem and folk considering using 2 gaskets, though no more info on this.

PS. Apologies if this info has given you, yet another headache, but thought it worth mentioning?.

Hopefully others may have more conclusive info on this.

Dave