Best windscreen rubber seal?

Dave the tram

Well, having done all the research I bit the bullet and decided to fit the new windscreen myself - soapy string, sand filled glove etc. The good news is I didn't smash the new screen, but try as we might, could not get the lip over the metal all the way round and eventuall started to cut into the rubber or else twisted the rubber off the glass. Tried different string and lubricants, settling on 5mm nylon tent guy cord. After much time and cursing have found a very experienced sounding man in Manchester who has quoted £125 to fit my screen, including travelling a fair way. He's done classics including Triumphs. Wish I'd heeded some of the advice that said 'get a proffessional in'.

I want to get another new seal - has anyone exerience of whether some aftermarket ones fit better than others and a good supplier, before I simply order the same again? My man says one probelem is that some are not the same cross section as the originals. I think I'll also cut a clean cross section of my damaged new one and the original to compare.

Cheers

Dave

Screen fitting really is one of those jobs best left to a pro.  Can well remember spending hours with my dad trying to refit the screen to my Spitfire, just resulting in a screwed rubber and a screen still not fitted.  Gave up, bought new seal, pro turned up and had the screen in, in under 10min.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2019 at 08:09, Dave the tram said:

Might go to Baines as suggested. They only list Spitfire Mk 4 surround so will give them a call, but I think Spitfire mk4/1500 is same screen and surround as GT6 mk 3. Can anyone confirm?

Cheers

Dave

Yes, same screen etc etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Got Ray Bardashevski in Manchester to come and fit it in the end, having got a COH Baines rubber, which looked identical to the old one and was even shaped at the corners. The Rimmer Bros rubber, that I ruined, looked much chunkier.

Ray did a good job, secure and watertight, but couldnt quite get the rubber flanges even all the way round. Suspect a slightly mishapen roof to pillar join as the old one gapped a bit.

Can see where I'm pointing it now!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...