Wipers

watsona6

And the patch in middle, also normal, I think caused by wear in the gears, but the solution is simple. Don't go out in the rain, you don't want to get it wet!  :o

You can rotate the spiral gear to get the unworn side, but you'll have more serious issues to attend to before you get to this!

Doug

2 hours ago, watsona6 said:

Are my wipers set up incorrect or is this a Spit anomaly? The wiper on the drivers side hangs off the windscreen? When the wipers are used there is a patch in the middle of the windscreen that is missed, leaving a chunky line? Thoughts please. Thanks in advance. 

I think this is caused by the drivers side wiper becoming temporarily curved by being in the same position for long periods when not in use.

it would be worse in the cold weather.   You could try, with the wipers on,  switching the ignition off when the wipers are vertical.  This will help keep then flat.

Or you could change over to silicone blades that are much more pliable.

Roger

• Like 1

many wipers are poor at squeegee  far too hard and over sprung . ive used these on the 2000  . too long for a spit but follow curvature very well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14-15-Stainless-Steel-7mm-Wiper-Blades-Triumph-Stag-2000-2-5Pi-2500-1964-1977/360510069845?hash=item53f0131c55:g:LHAAAOSw5EZc34En

if you only have 7mm wide arms you can upgrade to 10mm gives more pressure on the screen  places like 

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/categories/vintage-car-parts-windscreen-and-wipers-wiper-arm  have a good selection of  15mm spline drive arm  at 7mm and 10mm thick

always check the flip flop of the blade allows equal in each direction any judder is due to this being unequal  simple tweak witha plier/adjustable spanner to twist the are to get equal  blade agles on the up sweep and down sweep.

most aero type blades sold as   fits all need a hook end arm which is not available on a 15mm spline drive spindle without serious arm modifications ( as far as i have found )

pete

34 minutes ago, RogerH said:

You could try, with the wipers on,  switching the ignition off when the wipers are vertical.  This will help keep then flat.

Roger, brilliant idea and so simple. I guess, lift the blades off the screen if the car is left in the garage would help too.

Have you found a reliable source of silicone blades?

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

then go out in the rain ....wheres the darn relay

Relay 15 in fuse box 3

Despite being a Jaguar the wipers are not very good. They start to lift off the screen and miss a large section right in my eye line. Stopping them vertically the problem is obvious, the bulkhead has bent under the wiper mounting and the blade is not being pressed hard enough against the screen. Some strong arm tactics on the wiper and the bulk head is realigned, until the next time. Usually lasts about 18 months.

Doug 

5 hours ago, clive said:

Roger, brilliant idea and so simple. I guess, lift the blades off the screen if the car is left in the garage would help too.

Have you found a reliable source of silicone blades?

Halfords do them - although I have not bought from them yet

Revington - (TR spares supplier in Somerset) also do them.

Roger

• Like 1

Many of the wiper blades sold for the Spitfire and GT6 are hopeless - the Tex ones being particularly bad as they actually curve the wrong way! I bought 2 sets of NOS Trico curved screen blades from eBay - they are superb and a complete transformation from the rubbish I endured previously. Refills with the correct profile and more delicate rubber are also available and very worthwhile. 

Trico part number is PRB2-12 - they come up occasionally on eBay.

Gully

PRB2-12 also refers to 'invisible pot feet' or pot risers for flowerpots... have a look!

Sadly I went out to check my hoard of spare ones and found that none of them are Trico; in fact two aren't for Heralds at all.... 

I have  pair of Lucas WB5s which I think are, see photo, but one of the others is a Unipart GWB201 and has dozens of applications, but none Triumph.

There's also a very short stubby wiper arm that I can't identify at all; no part number but it's 7" Lucas and maybe old Mini or Minor? It's also got the strangest little adaptor, which I've just found out is to fit splined arms to a straight shaft... never saw one in my life before.

WB5.jpg f44.jpg.3752b30d7e27812f7ef8968fe08d2391.jpg

Those strange little adaptors were made by trico as a repair for wheel box's whose splines had fallen off Colin. Very hard to get hold of now.  So if you pull the spline off whilst changing your wiper arm? One of those repairs it :)  They work great by the way...

Tony.

• Like 1

Those adaptors are still available from the vintage link I posted

I have  pair for a rainy day .  Might be usefull if you wreck a wheel box trying to repair amd you break the  spline off

Now if you could fit a wheel box with a taper and nut modern design then you can easy fit modern blades 

Pete

• 3 weeks later...