Sump plug thread

Gadgetman

16 hours ago, KevinR said:

Next time I need a magnetic one I'll get a magnet and drill a hole in an old plug - certainly wouldn't trust the one from Quillers.

My Marlin has been running around for over thirty years with a Scalextric motor magnet Araldited to the original sump plug.

8 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

the  above   charts give all the relevant sizes the major diameters all relate back to the pipe internal and external diameters  all dream up by someone with a sense of humour !!

pete

I just wondered what the relationship was between the 'size' (3/8) and the actual diameter of the thread.

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 14:58, Badwolf said:

The external diameter of the Fb one on the first thread is 0.592inches the last thread is 0.668inches the thread length is 0.475inches

Counting the threads on the plug shown in the photo and using the measured thread lengths shows that there are 19 threads per inch, which makes it a BSP thread, not NPT.

On 06/10/2019 at 12:23, Vanadium23 said:

- I am not an engineer, ready to be advised if wrong, but my basic  understanding  is that old  Mr Joseph Whitworth in the mid 19C  gave us the  Whitworth thread based on a 55 degree pitch and radiused “ trough” 

The British Standard Pipe thread = BSP is based on that.

In 2 forms:

- a parallel thread   “British Standard Pipe Parallel” =BSPP

-a tapered thread  “British Standard Pipe Tapered” = BSPT

However, In North America, a different system was adopted based on a 60 degree pitch and sharp “troughs” ( not the right engineering term,I know)

This was, and  still is their “imperial i.e. non- metric standard,  for pipe threads.

This is  “National Pipe Thread” = NPT.

Being a taper thread, the T is also taken as being Tapered.

In addition to North America, tap and die sets, from elsewhere-  from Taiwan   for example,  will have the American NPT taps, not BSP.

1.I can’t think British cars were  ever been equipped with  NPT  threads,

They will have been BSP - whether parallel or tapered.

I.BSP and NTP are not compatible, though probably can be “made “ to fit.

( look at Pete’s charts )

2.A taper thread is designed so that as it is tightened  until the the threads  start to seal against each other  -  without the use of  a sealing washer, tape or anything, and this should be achievable with very little torque.

3.A parallel thread set up  needs a sealing washer of some sort or something to seal the threads as  there isn’t the thread -sealing of the taper system.

What you need is  old Joe Whitworth’s  British   BSP .... not NTP!

Thanks for this but Why does an 3/8 NPT tap screw straight into the sump and gearbox plug holes?

5 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Thanks for this but Why does an 3/8 NPT tap screw straight into the sump and gearbox plug holes?

I  don’t know. I must confess. I work at a basic level - something either fits or it doesn’t.

If it fits - and I  means it threads easily  and is stable   with finger tightening, that is  good -and as  probably good as it is going to get.If you’re reaching for a  big spanner and using a vice - stop kidding yourself.

So basic, that some  of the bits I will try  for a good fit come from  jars and boxes of loads of nuts and bolts taken from  long-forgotten,  dismantled  “things”.

I do have thread gauges and do use them  but just trying a dozen or so  will usually result in a good match.

This method is  not so much UNC,  Metric or BSW, UNC  but more  ADT.

Any Damn Thing .

• Haha 1

The bottom line is simple.....

For reasons only known to the Standard Triumph designers, they decided to use a 3/8" NPT thread for the sump plugs and drain plugs across the Triumph range of the day.

I would hazard a guess that it was cheaper to buy millions of 3/8" NPT plugs than 3/8" BSP plugs - in the quantities involved, fractions of a penny make a difference !

Tapping the hole in the sump, gearbox or diff housings would cost exactly the same regardless of whether it was NPT or BSP.

ADT    a sort of lucky dip ???

i have everything that fits nothing and nothing that fits everything  all in   36 x  4 ltr  marg tubs from my mum all labeled and have lasted years in lucky dip sydrome 

a draw full of taps where the etched size has long departed ...down from 1 1/4 " to   12ba   i dont have a 3/8npt though they take some adt !!!!

Pete

Ha ha. I know that feeling. 

I’ve a NPT magnetic plug coming now.... anyone want a BSP one, I’ve a few spares!!!

I’ll be glad once this spare engine is in the car.... once i’ve got the sump plug I can prime the oil system and check the oil Pressure before fitting. 

Carbs are nearly Finished, just trying to find damper weights as the set I’ve got came off a 2ltr with damper springs. 

I managed to adapt new linkage springs to fit and turned up bushes to support them on the body.

3 years and nearly finished!! ( then on to re-building the spare overdrive gearbox!)

the wife said she would only let me buy this car if it wasn’t taken to bits to restore....she never said anything about buying spares to rebuild and transplant into the car... 😂

803FAA34-CA77-4774-9627-E9251E90556B.jpeg

4A8E90CC-4ADD-4FF2-BC66-502FA9A74D29.jpeg

DDD3CBA9-5138-49F0-B55D-E85851455BD1.jpeg

D5F4B5C7-38EB-44EB-B82F-3511895E9B10.jpeg

9695FD4B-B439-419E-9B99-5E54F832869C.jpeg

The heavier damper weights are available from Burlen at http://zenithcarb.co.uk/diaphragm-retaining-washer.html, part number B17243.  I spent several years scanning eBay to find a pair of weights, only to discover they can be bought new.  It's also well worth getting their catalogue at http://zenithcarb.co.uk/books-catalogues/zenith-cd-catalogue.html for the cost of postage alone.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Having just successfully (after much fun and games) removed both the sump plug and gearbox filler plug I would like to replace them with new if I can. I intend to have hex nuts welded onto what remains of the once square heads as an interim solution and I appreciate they don’t need to torqued “to death”.

My simple question is this, is is still possible to buy new replacement plugs with the correct NPT thread? If it is, can someone tell me where please?

Many thanks,

Paul

7 minutes ago, Paulfc said:

Hi,

Having just successfully (after much fun and games) removed both the sump plug and gearbox filler plug I would like to replace them with new if I can. I intend to have hex nuts welded onto what remains of the once square heads as an interim solution and I appreciate they don’t need to torqued “to death”.

My simple question is this, is is still possible to buy new replacement plugs with the correct NPT thread? If it is, can someone tell me where please?

Many thanks,

Paul

Try Canleys https://www.canleyclassics.com/?diagram=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-engine-plates-and-sump&ptno=ULC1998

The nut is 24mm and has a copper washer 

Paul

1 minute ago, Paulfc said:

Thanks Paul,

As I understand it, if the plug has a washer it won’t be NPT. A tapered thread would not require one.

Paul

My Vitesse has a tapered square end on the sump and diff filler and I’ve replaced both with the Canleys 24mm magnetic plug . 

Paul 

If there is any doubt I can confirm that the Triumph GT6, Vitesse and Herald, Spitfire uses a 3/8in 18tpi NPT thread, I've just run a 3/8in NPT tap into a spare GT6 sump & Spit 1500 and it fits like a glove, I also used an imperial thread gauge and the plug (tapered) is 18tpi.

Why do I have a 3/8in NPT tap you ask, because the thermo switch I brought to control the elect rad fan on the daughters Spit Mk2 was 3/8in NPT, but it came with a 1/2in BSP brass adapter boss as well, which was to big to fit in the 134681 thermostat cover I fitted the thermo switch into. The 3/8 inch NPT tap & drill was less than $15 delivered ex China vs >$100 tap only local supply,

Now seeing this discussion (thread, Oh!) and the confirmation that Triumphs used 3/8in NPT sump plugs on the engine, gearbox and diff, its time for me to upgrade the diff drain plugs on the Spit and Vitesse from the 7/16 UNF largest tap I had at the time to the Triumph standard 3/8in NPT so I can use the std sump plug. who would have thought Triumph used a NPT thread?