Sykes Pickavant - hub puller

Hello,

This may be of interest to some: a Sykes Pickavant wheel hub puller via eBay item number 113931974270 with the auction concluding early Monday evening, currently with no bids at just under £28. The reason no bids have been forthcoming, is that the seller is unaware what vehicle spec the puller relates to.

I asked for the PCD to be measured and stated 95mm, which more accurately is 95.25 - Triumph spec.

That would make sense as there is also a Triumph manual being sold by the owner as well and links the 2x together.

I have one of these pullers and it's a decent bit of kit which will cover the Herald / Vitesse / Spitfire / GT6 / Dolomite / TR7.

Certainly worth having in your garage and / or perhaps loan it to others within your TSSC area - if you do become the new owner.

Regards.

Richard.

27 minutes ago, classiclife said:

Hello,

This may be of interest to some: a Sykes Pickavant wheel hub puller via eBay item number 113931974270 with the auction concluding early Monday evening, currently with no bids at just under £28. The reason no bids have been forthcoming, is that the seller is unaware what vehicle spec the puller relates to.

I asked for the PCD to be measured and stated 95mm, which more accurately is 95.25 - Triumph spec.

That would make sense as there is also a Triumph manual being sold by the owner as well and links the 2x together.

I have one of these pullers and it's a decent bit of kit which will cover the Herald / Vitesse / Spitfire / GT6 / Dolomite / TR7.

Certainly worth having in your garage and / or perhaps loan it to others within your TSSC area - if you do become the new owner.

Regards.

Richard.

Here’s a direct link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-classic-car-tools-sykes-pickavant-puller-261-MB/113931974270?hash=item1a86dff67e:g:nyAAAOSwu4pdrgy6

Paul 

Snipe is a great system for pre loading your max bid but not putting it in til the last minute, thus avoiding a bidding war and it also stops you from getting bid happy as you only get one go at it. The free snipe sites usually place your bid for you about 8 secs before time, but limit you to 5 free snipes a week (I think I use justsnipe.com but will check for you.. need main pc for details). I use it a lot and it works well for me.

17 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Surely the sport is in the sniping?   Using a robot to shoot the fox doesn't make it sporting.  Much more satisfaction in nailing that winning bid in person!

John

I use Esnipe.com which submits bids 5 seconds before the auction end . A human doesn’t stand a chance against this auto system unless they have already entered a max bid 

Paul 

If I'm around at the time an auction is about to finish and I think its worth sniping, I have my maximum bid queued up waiting to submit and then hit submit with about 2 seconds to go on the countdown.  Allowing for the latency of the internet, my snipe is usually registered in the last second of the auction.

Some I win, some I loose, but I never end up in a bidding war so I never end up paying more than I am happy to pay.

The bidding war and losing are the two worst things. Sniping through an on line company solves one, the other is a case of what is it worth to you, and if you lose it then it was too exensive, on with the next one. Sniping also, on the whole, does away with the thoughts when you're out in the car on a glorious Sunday afternoon with no internet connection, "when did that auction for that rare part finish?!!...oh sh*t!!!!

And sometimes you win when you least expect it.    I've noted the price of 2.5L engines going up, even for rusty old boat anchors.      So I put in a bid for a third of what I thought one would get, went away and came back to find I'd won the auction for only a quarter of that!     NIce guy, too, has several other TRiumphs but had 'moved up' engine wise.

John

That's always a great feeling. I just came back from a week away to find a pile of parcels from stuff I bid on; I bid £6.99 on a DVD drive for the Mac (RRP £39.99) and got it for that, so am well pleased.

Almost as good as selling something for about ten times your starting price, which is what you reckoned it was worth in the first place.

These days I don't bid on much preferring to go for the buy it now option, but with a twist. If I don't need something urgently, I put it in my basket and wait for a site wide discount day, usually 10% off but has been 15 of even 20 (very rare). Then buy the lot with the extra discount via a cash back site. Saves a fortune. Watch out for the next one around black Friday.

• 1 month later...
On 29/10/2019 at 14:06, JohnD said:

And sometimes you win when you least expect it.    I've noted the price of 2.5L engines going up, even for rusty old boat anchors.      So I put in a bid for a third of what I thought one would get, went away and came back to find I'd won the auction for only a quarter of that!     NIce guy, too, has several other TRiumphs but had 'moved up' engine wise.

John

That`s what happened to me. The Herald was on bid on flea bay. One Sunday am with a 2pm finish. So I put in a bid around 50% of what I suspected it would finish up at. Came back from Lunch Circa 3pm, and went to see what it went for. Only to find I had "won". THEN I had to find a Trailer, and go and get it From Derby!!. We towed it back with a 25ft 3.t Motorhome!!, the only vehicle that would cope with a 3t Trailer.!!.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

Not a Sykes-Pickavant hub puller this time but appears to be a Churchill unit from what the seller has stated.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Classic-vehicle-tools-B-M-C-Triumph-hub-puller-churchill-service-t/184124655493?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3Dd5bad218935a417b94bc36e9bf80d522%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D261384013835%26itm%3D184124655493%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Looking at the stud hole PCD they appear quite narrow and as such, I think the unit will be suitable for small chassis Triumphs plus a couple of bigger models.

Only 1x photo at the moment, but unit looks decent {with surface rust} if somewhat seriously chunky - which may well confirm it being a V.L Churchill unit.

Obviously seller would need to confirm the PCD but certainly worth considering if the correct stud pattern measurement. Yes a tad expensive, but if a Churchill unit I would expect that. 

The seller is also accepting offers.

Item located in Coventry.

Hopefully it may be of use to someone on the Forum

Regards.

Richard.

Certainly heavy enough to be a Churchill! I have a diagram showing one in use, slight differences but then there's no guarantee that they were all the same, back in the day. Handy to have if you need one, but then - you have to ask yourself how many times are you ever going to use it? I've had to harden my heart and stop bidding on things that I might only use once - it used to be a bad habit but I seem to have more willpower these days. Or less money.

Fig_7_Churchill_extractor_No._S109_to_remove_hub.jpg.9dd98d3a4e0d4e7c8444ebd2c1032fd3.jpg

38 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Handy to have if you need one, but then - you have to ask yourself how many times are you ever going to use it?

Indeed, Colin.

I have a hydraulic SK unit and used it once, but I have kept it in case anyone in my local area needs to borrow it. Accepted that loaned items sometimes do not return, but cannot allow that to blur my good intentions and I know you have suffered similar via various comments on previous threads. One has to be glass-half-full.

41 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I've had to harden my heart and stop bidding on things that I might only use once - it used to be a bad habit but I seem to have more willpower these days. Or less money.

That's because you are retired now, Colin !!

Regards.

Richard.