Fitting oil cooler

Anglefire

I’ve bought a mocol thermostatically controlled oil cooler for my spitfire 1500

now I know I probably don’t need one but let’s not go there. 

question is, does anyone have any pictures and advice as to how to fit it - pictures would be great as it comes with no instructions what so ever!

AF,

Here's a vid of an oil change on a Spitfire with an oil cooler. You can see where the bits go, might be some help?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fitting+an+oil+cooler+to+a+triumph+spitfire&&view=detail&mid=5FE7859B8B45323B93875FE7859B8B45323B9387&&FORM=VRDGAR

Doug

• Like 1

Anglefire,

First, yours has a thermostat - essential to avoid overcooling.   Then, do not use the push-on hoses that are probably supplied, but use threaded connectors swaged onto hydraulic hose, that any local shop that caters for the construction industry or farmimg machines will be able to make up for you.     They are wide bore too, inscreasing the oil volume slightly!   You may have to note the relative alignment of the connectors, as twisting the heavy duty hose will stress them.

The usual place for an oil cooler is under the radiator.   Last year, a visit to a gravel trap showed me how vulnerable it is there, so mine is now mounted vertically alongside the radiator, but the Spitfire rad is 'landscape' rather than the Vitesse 'portrait' so you may have to think again.

Good luck!

JOhn

I will be honest, I have always sourced my oil pipework connectors from Think Automotive. They sell a fir-tree type connector, and even without a clip, you can hang off them, in fact the literature explains about having to cut them off as they are impossible to pull out the hose.

And my friend, who is a forklift engineer, and so has work access to making hoses etc, is happy with them. Good enough for me!

Be very careful about hose length, too long is hard to lose as it is fairly rigid. And make sure the hoses are good quality. Mine seem to be Nissan branded (ie forklift) but you REALLY would not want to have to buy it from Nissan. Again, Think are my supplier of choice. If I am having to pay...

I'm sure I have a photo of mine fitted to my 1500 somewhere but from back in the 35mm film days so it's probably stored somewhere inaccessible, but from what I remember it hung down below and behind the radiator, I think I hung it on brackets from the radiator support - maybe as John say it was vulnerable but I had no problems with it.

I used hydraulic hose from a local supplier - it was wire reinforced so well protected from damage. The original hose was Dunlop SAE100 28bar but I found that it cracked quite quickly.

I kept it for the GT6 and with the different oil filter position the thermostat was able to be attached to the top of the suspension turret; I think in the 1500 it was forward of that and just hung suspended from the hoses, cable tied to the nearest suitable fixed point - possibly the reason they cracked before being replaced with reinforced ones.

Thanks for all the reply’s! 

Doug I’m only down for one night back home tomorrow. I am back down for a week next week but will probably be very busy and working late - tonight was bad enough - our the house at 5:30 This morning and got to the hotel Just gone 7 - must get something to eat!

Roger, as ever thanks for the pictures - as well as Sam.  Makes a lot more sense now!

As for hoses, I bought the thermo kit from Rimmers with the braded hoses which are screw onto flared pipes. Look and feel substantial so I think will be fine. 

When I get to my proper computer I will look a lot more closely 😃

3 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Mine is fitted like this:

DSC_0794.thumb.jpg.feec22e8d3ab3324a16015dc584facdc.jpgDSC_0795.thumb.jpg.c7eb958771f46c6f8af856896310a204.jpgDSC_0792.thumb.jpg.d0e037de481849d4bfeb2154ca788f20.jpg

I made "n" shaped brackets to weld to the chassis and corresponding "n" shapes that bolt to the cooler with small 3mm rubber pads between the bracket and the cooler. Then a single bolt through the bracket on the chassis and the bracket on the cooler.

Cheers, Sam

Hello All 

Mine is fitted the other way up (ie hoses at bottom) then you can undo them to drain the old oil out

Roger

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

digging around in some old 2003  catalog i came across these people and they are still going 

a really useful place for all sorts of fittings 

https://www.thinkauto.com/

Pete

May I refer the Right Honorable Gentleman to my post above!

Think are brilliant. And sell no rubbish at all. Downside is they sell a VERY wide variety of fittings, and knowing which one you actually  want gets confusing.

• 4 weeks later...

Not that I have time to fit the cooler yet - but making plans (for Nigel ;) ) for Christmas :) 

Thinking of drilling the chassis rails and fitting a couple of rivnuts on each to fix the bracket to and then mount the cooler onto the bracket, all in front of the radiator - much like Rogers or Sam's - not sure whether it will hang down or be on top yet. I'm tempted for on top to avoid damage being below.

Does this seem sensible?

Just what I did, Anglefire, aafter I discoverd how vulnerable an oil rad is below the water one.

Bolted a fabricated bracket to those, to mount the oil rad vertically alongside the watere one, braced to that at the top.   

Can't show you a pic - I've just dismantled it to fit a new engine!

John

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

Not sure whether it will hang down or be on top yet. I'm tempted for on top to avoid damage being below.

That depends on how deep it is - 10 row, or 13?

Mine was hung from the top of the chassis rail, but it bridged the gap between them and didn't protrude below by much at all. I felt it was quite well protected here and still got good airflow at speed, as the chassis slopes upward towards the front.

It was a 13 row, £105 from the TSSC shop including thermostat back in 1993....

Mines a 13row cooler  -from Rimmers as it happens in a kit with braided hoses and thermostat. £190 delivered 2019 ;)

@JohnD I did look at mounting it to the side of the water rad - but mine is a full width rad and no room - so it will be at the bottom of the rad - possibly between the rails rather than all above - which sounds like Colins is mounted :)

I was tempted to get the car out of the garage this afternoon and go for a spin - but as soon as the sun comes out and I notice, it disappears again and the wet stuff falls out again. :( 

26 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

@JohnD I did look at mounting it to the side of the water rad - but mine is a full width rad and no room - so it will be at the bottom of the rad - possibly between the rails rather than all above - which sounds like Colins is mounted :)

Found a photo of mine from about 2001 and you can see where it was mounted on the GT6 between the front rails - a previous owner had already welded a short bracket here, one on either side about an inch wide, and the cooler sat between them with the top 'lip' resting on each before being bolted securely to them. I found it well protected and airflow was good as about half of it hung down below.

DSCF2415.jpg.f1734fe714acf92f625917ad8035b197.jpg