Extra engine earthing

daverclasper

Very worthwhile!

It could go anywhere on the engine/gearbox, to anywhere that is a good earth.     I'd not use the battery post, but the point on the body tub that the battery earths to.     Otherwise it complicates battery changes/diosconnection.   This might help if you don't want to cut it.

If you will, suitable terminals are available, best crimped onto the cable, but could be soldered.   https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-ring-terminals/1225005?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Connectors-_-Terminals_And_Splices|Crimp_Ring_Terminals-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&aud-821594433763:pla-394876820878&s_kwcid=AL!7457!3!243856856084!!!g!394876820878!&gclid=CjwKCAiA3OzvBRBXEiwALNKDP6Go_RPMflYZZKwVObXEX1fBN2UUK_fFBhXJ_K9unwTnWGWEI0sDrhoC0T0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

John

With the type of construction, used on all "our" vehicles. It might be worth while making Similar Earthing bridges between all the components?. ie; both "tub" sections, Chassis (of course) Bonnet, etc;?. It might help eliminate quite a few connection issues?.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

You could solder it but capillary action draws solder up the wire leaving the end rigid with a possibility of the stands breaking at the the solder joint from vibration.

A crimped joint leaves the end flexible.

Regards

Paul

Strictly, yes, fro small cables, but this is a massive - 1/4"? - welder earthing, cum starter cable!    

3 hours ago, daverclasper said:

So could this be soldered with gas torch, plumbers flux and electrical solder wire (as asked above)?.

Dave

You can, the faster the job is done the less solder fed to the joint the less solder will travel up the cable away from the joint.

Regards

Paul

The probable answer is to ensure the parts are first properly "tinned", and the termination clamped with the cable entered from above, gravity then reduces the capillary effect so some extent. Heat shrink insulation will help support the joint too. (slide it on before you do the soldering, Hmm Guess who forgot?)

I think I said that back to front Doug. They have an extra bit that earths to the bodywork as well as the battery terminal, but on the one I used the entire cable forks into a y-shape rather than just two bolt/brackets.

Given that the sweat is breaking on me with the effort of typing this I'm not going to hobble out to the garage to check how it differs from the original one-piece that the GT6 had... so someone about here will know what I mean. I hope. Put it this way: it was worth fitting all those years ago as it had an extra bit. I just can't remember where...

Oh Gawd whatever they gave me in the chop shop wore off yesterday... woe is me. Can't even drink alcohol. Slept sitting up, at one point opening eyes and grabbing for the steering wheel... :) 

We could have  Christmas compo, how many words can you make out of whatever Pete's on?

Personally can't wait to get back to earth, let alone engine ones.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I've had the dressings changed, it looks nothing like a keyhole, looks more like the bit the medication makes it seem I'm talking out of. AND there are three of them. 

Maybe they lost the key Colin and had to break in instead???  Those painkillers sound like the ones i used to take, morphine based.

Tony.

• Haha 1