Laying up a classic

SixasStandard

Make sure the tyres are fully inflated, or even 5lbs higher. Helps stop them getting flat spots. Back to std before use!

Leave the handbrake off.

With the steep angle of the drivers side windscreen wiper, I would leave that off the screen to help prevent the blade distorting.

Windows open a bit. 

Dry car when it goes in the garage.

Disconnect the battery 

Thanks chaps, 

I've also got the tank full to the brim, as I've heard that the air in half empty tanks contributes to the formation of water, and hence corrosion on the inside of the tank.

I have a dust sheet to cover the car with, it will have to do until my bank balance recovers enough to buy a proper car cover.

Ian 

I don't use mine much over winter so park it up with the handbrake off and in neutral - a block under a wheel to make sure it doesn't roll.

As for filling / emptiying the petrol, I don't do either nor do I disconnect the battery. Before the season I do put it on charge.

Cling film over the screen helps stop the wipers from sticking and keeps dust off the glass. Peel off before driving!

If you can, roll it backwards or forwards weekly by a foot or so; this stops the same patch of the tyre being on the ground and so distorting (as Clive says above!)

Flush the cooling system and refill with good antifreeze.

Oil anything you don't want to seize.

And finally: 

Stop mice from nesting in it by locking a cat inside.

• Haha 2

I got into my GT6 after a winter lay off. Looked over my shoulder and 6" from my face, hanging from the seatbelt anchor, was a spider's nest crawling with newly hatched spids. 

That was how I originally perfected my "GT6 swift exit technique"

They looked something like this, except mine were orange.

spider.PNG.daa37250da3ffed523f967d254511a07.PNG

Doug

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Last year I called in at my local village garage and he was working on a modern VW that had been squatted by mice, masses or rewiring required!

When I got home I immediately ordered a sonic mouse scarer, don't know if it does anything but it helps me sleep easier at nights (and during the day to be honest) 

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Chris,

My parents had a mouse problem in their garage, a variety of traps were ineffectual. It went on for months but eventually they got a couple of sonic mouse scarers from Robert Dyas which did the trick, not a mouse to be seen in 30 years.

Doug

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Now, is there one to keep my cats off the car cover? They find it great for sleeping on in summer and sharpening their claws, which reminds me I need to get a new one. 🤑

Chris,

Robert Dyas also sell a sonic cat scarer which also works. Very satisfying to see them freeze, then turn and run. 

Unfortunately it needs two PP9 batteries which don’t last long, but cats just need discouraging once or twice to change their M.O. 

Doug

7 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Schroedinger's cat?

I keep mine on a battery conditioner, but rather than leave it on continually (although its a conditioner, not a charger) it plugged in via timer. 

Similar to this:

Image result for timer plug socket

That turns it on for three hours very day.

I also have an ultrasonic cat scarer, but as said above the batteries last less than a week.  There are mains scarers but cost a lopt more, and anyway, I want to keep mine out of the garage because  she keeps getting locked in whe I finish work!     Frantic mewings in the morning!   Better to do a quick search, rattling a biscuit tin - that brings her out!

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

hey find it great for sleeping on in summer and sharpening their claws, which reminds me I need to get a new one. 🤑

Is that a cat or a cover, Chris ?? !! 😊

Regards.

Richard.