Removing door trim

Neil Clark

Am I just being a wimp or misreading the manuals?  I need to get the door trim off to avoid accidents when I weld in reinforcement across the door opening before the body is lifted off.  To remove the door handle and window winder I've tried pushing the piece of plastic in against the spring and exposing the pin.  The spring seems pretty strong but the pin doesn't pop out when pressed with the recommended thin item.  Any suggestions very welcome!  At this rate it might be easier just to take the doors off.

Sometimes the pins can be tapered and will only exit in one direction. May also be worth a shot of WD40 and leave for a few minutes, then hit the pin with a slight hammer tap to persuade it the game is up.

17 hours ago, Neil Clark said:

Am I just being a wimp or misreading the manuals?  I need to get the door trim off to avoid accidents when I weld in reinforcement across the door opening before the body is lifted off.  

You can remove the door before you weld in the brace; just don't remove the car from the chassis at the same time...

I've found that a rivet is great for removing the pin; one of the same diameter is usually long enough to clear the plastic disc so that you can get a good smack against the head. I've lost a few over the years and replaced with round masonry nails of the correct diameter, just cut to the right length. Make sure that yours has not been replaced with a nail or the like so that there's actually a small flat head at one end.

• 1 month later...

Installing the winder pin I use a bit of small dia tube put the pin in half way and use a shaft to push the pin through using the other hand to push the winder hard against the door. 
I find whilst still a bigger it’s easier and quicker.  Model shops have small dia brass tubing

what we need is a magnetic mat I have a longish magnetic bar that helps

Peter T

The easiest way is screen washer tubing.  Heat the end of the tubing with a lighter then pull it apart to stretch it and make it thinner. while tubing is still warm insert the pin. When it cools down it holds the pin firmly. You can then put the pin in the hole. to remove tubing pull down at 90 degrees when the pin is trapped by the winder. You can then push the pin fully home with a screw screw driver. :)  Works every time and no more searching for pins that have pinged to god knows where...... Try it you will be surprised how easy it is.

Tony.

• Like 2

https://saltycorn.com/products/magnetic-finger-sleeve?fbclid=IwAR2wsdg-KYs2-lm5ySQIQArcRvJCTMrk5KqoG5V7C3jwjxWHIYyn2q3VnC8

This one doesn't take you via Facebook first - you've linked to a link via a link Chris!

Interesting product - I could have done with one last night trying to fit an engine fan where the little metal sleeves kept jumping out of the rubbers. I have a set of finger spanners and they're amazingly useful.

"This one doesn't take you via Facebook first - you've linked to a link via a link Chris!"

"Out of interest if you wanted to shorten the link just delete everything after the ? "

Fat chance, I'm still struggling to get the hang of sliced bread. Mind you I have worked out how to open whisk(e)y bottles with corks and the complicated screw top ones, does anybody sell straws long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You drink whiskey with straws?????

As I said, can't find any long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle so I have to drink 1/2 a bottle then another half bottle then add the remaining liquid from one in the other.

• Like 1