Overdrive plus box on eBay

68vitesse

Although the text says "single rail" and "from 1850 Dolly", the input shaft is a coarse spline one and the bell housing is a Vitesse one. It's only the O/D that came from a Dolomite and it probably has the weak mainshaft tip bearing.

Mind you, I also remember the days when that price bought you a fully reconditioned and guaranteed one.

Probably an early 1850 box with a Vitesse bell housing. Good starting point but will almost certainly (unless it’s been updated at some point in the past) have the 1/2” mainshaft tip and will almost certainly be at least a little bit knackered. 

6 cylinder boxes are a nightmare.....

Nick

Going off on a related tangent....

I have a single rail Dolly 1850 box (well actually a gearbox with teeth missing off the layshaft and a new gear set) how easy is it to fit all the innards to a 3 rail box so I can fit it to the back of my Vitesse engine.

I can find selectors etc to fit and I have some 3 rail casings

37 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

Going off on a related tangent....

I have a single rail Dolly 1850 box (well actually a gearbox with teeth missing off the layshaft and a new gear set) how easy is it to fit all the innards to a 3 rail box so I can fit it to the back of my Vitesse engine.

I can find selectors etc to fit and I have some 3 rail casings

Colin, give me a bell. Pete, our local cog-man, has done a few for people. But he doesn't do computers. However, he is always happy to talk...

In my Vitesse the gearbox has a fine input shaft, single rail type, large main shaft tip and three rail gear change and a J type overdrive. Don't know who put it together as came with a failed restoration I bought at Stoneleigh a few years ago, for the clutch I just used the clutch plate from a single rail Dolomite 1850.

It shed some teeth from third gear on the cluster the other year Mike Papworth supplied the parts and advice for the rebuild, I found him a very helpful and knowledgeable chap.

Regards

Paul

much of the internals  look the same but have small odd differences like shaft spine sizes and tooth counts

i once got a box as spares and someone had mixed up hubs and gears to make a complete mess , it was half 3rail half single rail  ....needless to say it would not have worked 

but cost some misguided soul a lot of ££s to make up a dysfunctional box .

the boX shaft centres are all the same but i belive the single rail case might be a little longer ??

Pete

An old Rimmers part book lists main case as 3 rail 306468 single rail RKC461 some other parts remained the same some also changed at single rail box WM1.

No idea what the difference is but understand tooth profile also changed at some point.

Regards

Paul

I had an Hybrid box fitted to my old Vitesse, this was 3 rail, had the Larger Mainshaft tip and J Type Over-drive, this was made up by one of the Previous Owners in the late 1980's who is still a good friend .

Does anyone know when Triumph up-rated the Mainshaft Tip size and was it for the later Single rail Dolly boxes?

Gary

yes the early dolly 1850 had a 3 rail with small tip but big synch rings (I believe these match the last GT6s units) while later ones had single rail with both big tip and rings. However Ive no idea what or when changes were done to gear teeth angles. Also all these boxes had the same poor layshaft set up which, from my experience, is the weakest point☹️ 

• Like 1

late 3 rail  dolly had a 18mm spigot  mainshaft as i had one from mike papworth together with a modified   10 spline input  shaft  to match 

as said you cant mix and match 1/2 hubs or  mainshafts  as  splines are very different unless you want a rattling fit and 1 rail has different reverse  tooth count 

have a feeling tooth profile changed similar time to the bigger baulk rings ???    not sure 

Pete

I know Triumph did some strange things when they made changes in design but think in this case the number of intermediate gearboxes must have been very low as Rimmers have all GT6 and 3 rail 1850s as small tip and then single rail 1850 from approx 1974 on as large.

18 hours ago, johny said:

Also all these boxes had the same poor layshaft set up which, from my experience, is the weakest point☹️ 

Mike Papworth rebuilt my bitza, J type for Vitesse a few years ago. I think one option, was for a longer bearing for the layshaft cluster. Don't know how much this improves it?.

Dave

yes believe it can be bored deeper into at least one end to accept a longer needle bearing which should spread the load. Also there were more thickly case hardened shafts made up as the pattern parts available now are of unknown quality....  

have a feeling many lay spindle problems stem from a life of low /no oil,  at sometime in its life span,  its a low splash zone so easy to starve

with  over 40 years of abuse    but wear and tear is an ongoing factor all the needle zones  are well beyond their design life   amazingly some fair well 

Pete

3 hours ago, johny said:

yes believe it can be bored deeper into at least one end to accept a longer needle bearing which should spread the load.

Mine was worn at the rear, which is where the mod is done. I think I had this done from memory!, though the the receipt is vague.

Also he fitted a SH shaft, as new ones are?/were crap apparently. 

7 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

have a feeling many lay spindle problems stem from a life of low /no oil,  at sometime in its life span,  its a low splash zone so easy to starve

with  over 40 years of abuse    but wear and tear is an ongoing factor all the needle zones  are well beyond their design life   amazingly some fair well 

Pete

I thought the layshaft would normally be submerged in oil as its well below the top up hole so be the last bearings to suffer when the level drops....

We used to recover Worn/damaged shafts, in marine practice, with Metal spraying and a regrind. Does anyone offer similar now?. Getting the right depth when case hardening was always a guaranteed source of inconsistency.

Pete

Think metal spraying isnt easy especially on a 5/8" diameter bar. Ive seen it break away from big shafts because the process wasnt done properly. The biggest plus these days is that our gearboxes tend to do very limited mileages so even poor case hardening will last many years😊