Freesat GT6

DerekS

1 hour ago, derekskill said:

Hello, for those with Freesat, More4 on channel 124 tonight at 5 to 6, Tim and Fuzz are working on a 1971 GT6. Apologies if anyone has posted this or if youve already seen it!

A sad one as well :( 

Tony.

A bit controvesial and not trying to start an arguement... I love the concept of the program, but I just can't watch it. Tim annoys me more than I can say and the whole thing seems really false and stage managed for the cameras. I can't even watch it when it's Triumph or Land Rover related (my 2 classic car passions)

I've tried. I've thought that maybe I'm being harsh and judgemental and re-tried. Nope, I just can't get on with Tim or the program "style".

@yourkshire_spam - the secret, just Top Gear is to record it.  You can then just fast-forward through the 'Tim sneaks in to part supplier who didn't know he was coming and pulls a fast one (despite the place being full of camera and production crew)', 'Lets play a practical joke on X', and 'Here's a fun was to give the car back' (or for Top Gear the 'Car in a reasonably priced car') segments and just watch the good bits.

It's a laugh, and yes there are some good parts but I think they're going the way of Wheeler Dealers, to the extent of repairing big-money cars that are worth many thousands and leaving the enthusiast-next-door, who genuinely can't afford to have his rebuilt, out completely. I'd love to know how it's funded and if the families have to make any contributions?

Tim once said: 'There are days when you just want to set fire to the thing and walk out of the garage..." I know exactly what he means!

Andy told us at EB that the whole "Tim blagging parts"  is a set up. The suppliers do it just to get on the telly.

Andy said that when Tim drove his GT his feet were too big for the pedals and he had to take his shoes off.  The shoes were then nicked by the crew, but not sure if that's true. 

I've read about Tim and seen him in other stuff and he is knowledgeable about old cars, but why they've got him doing this irritating Jack the Lad persona I don't know. 

Doug

Am I missing something here, or is my ignorance really bliss?? I don't think that I have ever watched a tv car programme. I did see Fuzz Townsend at the NEC resto show last year, but only realised that he was supposed to be famous becausd he was standing next to his own photo on his product stand and I had happened to buy some of 'his' oil cheap off fleabay.

7 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

It's a laugh, and yes there are some good parts but I think they're going the way of Wheeler Dealers, to the extent of repairing big-money cars that are worth many thousands and leaving the enthusiast-next-door, who genuinely can't afford to have his rebuilt, out completely. I'd love to know how it's funded and if the families have to make any contributions?

I had always assumed it was funded from the TV fees, and sponsorship of spare parts

The budget has certainly been much bigger lately.

Interesting crack here... so... how much do we think this rebuild cost? Two things that struck me, the drive shafts were quickly replaced with the CV type and there was a comment about the diff... easy solution, get a new'un! We would all like to do that I'm sure. It is meant to entertain after all though. Maybe I'm jealous...

bit like the garden revivals ,  unloved   weeds  to utopia  cost a ransom  

i wonder at the people who have the much loved heap of rust where their true values lie,

i was asked to veiw a mk1 gt6 left by the owner for 30 years in a lock up , 6" deep in leaves , when i asked if its so important and full of memories why diddnt

you blow the tyres  up the car would never be restored by its owner and i advised sell as a barn find and get something that runs 

I love that car ............Really !!!!     same applies to some owners on bangers for cash why leave the love of your life to rust into a wreck for 30 years 

pete

20 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i was asked to veiw a mk1 gt6 left by the owner for 30 years in a lock up , 6" deep in leaves , when i asked if its so important and full of memories why diddnt

you blow the tyres  up the car would never be restored by its owner and i advised sell as a barn find and get something that runs 

I love that car ............Really !!!!     same applies to some owners on bangers for cash why leave the love of your life to rust into a wreck for 30 years 

pete

Guilty as charged, my Lord! When I had the money I didn't have the time, then now I've got the time I can't get to the people for the jobs I can't do, then once I'm free to move about again I'll have no money. Hence the fact that my much-loved 1200 convertible is still lying as a collection of parts.

However: it just occurred to me that much as we deride Wheeler Dealers and Car SOS as light entertainment, staged for the cameras, does anyone remember the Triumph Spitfire Maintenance VHS video the club sold back in the early 1990s? I don't know who the man in the overalls was but you could literally have simultaneously followed each step he took and at the end, had a fully working car. I learned quite a bit from it but, Lord, was it dry. Ed China, eat your heart out!

Garth and myself were about to start a new video of servicing and repairs , ive made a good few when at the factory about trucks and it takes for ever to produce something 

you can edit and correct the mis reading of idiot cards  etc, we did watch the video you mention before we started and decided it needed to be light hearted , as falling to sleep was not part of the plan, the idea was dropped when we planed the time this would take , and then Garth got dispatched 

doing a commentary  needs some training its easy to be a moron 

anyone with interest on you tube search RB44  production video , ans you will see what i mean 

bear in mind this was made with no TV , just  camera and editable VHS  , made in 1990 , its an awful copy the best bit ending titles missing , done with kids letter set and pulled across the floor , so film made with very little kit . we thought it was good ........well  Hmmm  

done by taking shots and adding script from a card which you cant read as soon as record got pressed 

Pete