Windscreen fitting

Mike R

there s guy who reckons he can fit anything going over to look next week   wish him luck 

think  its best to  you soon get used to not having it 

wish i could draw the thing   makes the headache look much better  ha !

its not my car  just helping with  a local  ...leaker 

i would have just piped in some sealer but he cut the old screen out  and found the tin worm at work 

Pete

Finally my windscreen is in ! First 6 goes with the seal round the wrong way didn’t work !!!

This drawing save the day.

AF48FBC8-1114-4D6C-8C46-C1197EDEBFC7.jpeg.464e34b783b208c2e65041f36dde832d.jpeg

Final go (number 7) with the screen rubber the right way round.

Seal a bit damaged from the first 6 goes the wrong way round - but good enough for some spring fun next year - after which it can come out.

D96DDF07-69CE-4C64-A941-5B9FD52C1CE5.thumb.jpeg.f78e01bfe2d56ec80ff9e2589db3076c.jpeg

This was my tool kit.

F2EF5FFA-B95C-4006-8CEF-833F3A7733B8.thumb.jpeg.7dc4b783358b7fa50c2a13e8a63bc175.jpeg

• Thanks 1

thats a result   good  to see you didnt give in 

if you need to(it does need seaaling )   just use gutter sealant   keep the cartidge in the airing cupboard to warm it overnight 

a  cut a small slanted nozzle and its easy to insert into the glass groove and under the aperture flip , just pump to show some excess , quick whiz with a scraper

and wipe down with white spirit and the jobs a good one 

Pete

if its laminated you may be best to cut the seal to remove it   the olde method of sit on seat and use a pair of feet to push the glass out works for toughend

but a laminate would end up in peices 

toughend you can be realy rough with  but a laminated is just  ....Glass   it breaks  like glass 

Pete

On 28/10/2022 at 19:12, Pete Lewis said:

if its laminated you may be best to cut the seal to remove it   the olde method of sit on seat and use a pair of feet to push the glass out works for toughend

but a laminate would end up in peices 

toughend you can be realy rough with  but a laminated is just  ....Glass   it breaks  like glass 

Pete

Sadly!!😭😭, I have the T shirt for that one, tried the both feet method and failed spectacularly. I have a seal, just no Screen!.

Pete

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know if a Spitfire 1500 windscreen is directly compatible with a GT6? Interested to hear from someone who's done it rather than folklore.

My windscreen has a crack in it running from the top to the bottom and I might be able to get a good used Spitfire 1500 replacement but unsure to just buy a new GT6 one from Rimmers.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 28/10/2022 at 16:18, Pete Lewis said:

thats a result   good  to see you didnt give in 

if you need to(it does need seaaling )   just use gutter sealant   keep the cartidge in the airing cupboard to warm it overnight 

a  cut a small slanted nozzle and its easy to insert into the glass groove and under the aperture flip , just pump to show some excess , quick whiz with a scraper

and wipe down with white spirit and the jobs a good one 

Pete

I see you've recommended butyl gutter sealer a few times - I've got a leak in the corner of the screen and was going to pump some in. In the hardware shop the back of the tube specifically said not to be used in contact with glass which gave me second thoughts. Any idea why this could be, since butyl tape is what glaziers use...?