Stuck in gear

Kiajon

First of all sorry for not responding to your very helpful posts earlier. Impending bad health took me away from the project (impending bad health = the wife told me to get on with the garden or she'd shove the garden rake somewhere that would require lengthy surgery to remove!!)

So, update. Firstly the garden looks great! Secondly I recond the master cylinder, bought and fitted a new slave cylinder, bled the system and, joy or joys, the gearbox is no longer stuck in gear! Result! Thanks for all your help and giving me the confidence to have a go! 

Next to try and get the engine to start - which was the original problem! First I'll need a new battery (the old one won't hold charge) and then I'll start a new thread on how the hell to get the old girl running (the car that is, not the wife!). Any tips for starters would be gratefully received! 

Cheers

Hurrah! Excellent news on the gearbox.

1 hour ago, Kiajon said:

Next to try and get the engine to start - which was the original problem! First I'll need a new battery (the old one won't hold charge) and then I'll start a new thread on how the hell to get the old girl running (the car that is, not the wife!). Any tips for starters would be gratefully received!

When I rebuilt my Vitesse engine, just before moving house, it flatly refused to start. Just wouldn't fire. Lack of time (due to moving house!) stopped any further investigation. Some months later, I put a new battery on it and it started first time.

Perhaps more relevant to you, though, was the time my GT6 got abandoned subjected to an unplanned lay-up for three years. Upon recovery, I found the battery so dead it had corroded itself to the clamps. New battery, new clamps, prime the fuel pump, generous squirt of WD40 (easy start works too) down the air intake, plenty of choke, plenty of throttle... fired up first time. Ran like a complete dog for a few minutes until it was warm but then the petrol was three years old! If you can get some fresh fuel in the tank it will help a lot.