HBHVC Survey 2020

martin hughes

Mother’s Christmas cake recipe had a high whisky content and would have lasted till next Christmas if we hadn’t eaten it by Boxing Day. 

In her time wedding cakes were the same mix and upper tiers were kept for successive Christenings. The icing got a bit crisp, but who eats the icing!

Doug

My mum used to start making the Xmas cake the first week-end after the 5th November.

Needed to be left to mature before the almond paste was added then again before icing.

Yes I did eat the icing. ☺️

Some years ago after a visit home in spring I returned with some left over cake. Took it to the saw mill where I was working at the time and offered it to fellow workers. Funny when I explained that was made 6 months or so before they seemed reluctant (unwilling) to try it, don't know why. 🙄

Oh for the good old days!

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Mother’s Christmas cake recipe had a high whisky content and would have lasted till next Christmas if we hadn’t eaten it by Boxing Day. 

Ours was brandy-based and my mother used to get very embarrassed before quietly asking someone to go shopping for a small bottle of brandy, in case anyone thought that we had alcohol in the house. She used to make about two dozen for relatives and friends so needed a goodly sized bottle, and we were kept well away from it. I'll swear the level was marked after each baking session.

The icing used to go rock-hard, a real dentist's delight. She used to post one to America and one to Canada which in those days can't have been cheap.

Wife kept the top tier of my daughters wedding cake when asked last year my daughter said bin it as it was 15 years old.

I tried cutting it the icing was solid couldn’t even cut it with a saw even the cake was solid just like cement.

63 years ago my brother got engaged To a Mormon lass and had to join the clan my parents were not pleased so when we had the engagement party at our place mum made trifles and she and dads secretary (Like a big sister to me) poured the sherry into the trifle for non alcoholics the clan kept coming back for more, More, & more, mum and Edna were smiling from ear to ear.