Steering column upper clamp, lower half

Can anyone advise me if this is replaceable (long 'search'  but no results) or has it been superseded?

One of the splined bolts on mine pulls out even just finger tight. I tried superglue to no avail. 

The slightest downward pressure on the steering wheel causes the column to drop an inch and pull this bolt out. Mind, even when bolted as tight as I dare, there is vertical movement as the whole dashboard seems to move a few mm up and down. Is there something amiss here? where do I start looking :)

Sorry to keep asking

Jeff

I bought a used replacement recently from SpitBitz in Woking.  Do insist that the one they send is fully functioning because the first one they sent had a jammed thread, the same problem as mine - but replaced immediately and without argument nor cost to me.

Presumably you have the column support bracket (29) fitted as to the bolts in item 35, I assume this is the part you mean,  I would run a drill in the hole to roughen it file some grooves across the splines and fit it back with J B Weld.

Have used JB Weld to fit an exhaust stud in a cylinder head, the threads in the head were very worn and I decided against helicoil.

Regards

Paul

IMG_20200727_095537.jpg

Thanks Neil and Kev, I will try them. It is not a thread problem, it is the splines on the stud that pull out the bottom bracket (35 in Pauls diagram)... Paul, thanks, where is that diagram from?

I have some jb weld somewhere.. I'll try that Thanks. My support bracket (29) is not shaped like that!!??? More of a pair of 'S' bends, ... if I feel it right. Where does it bolt to at the top? What is that 36? I don't seem to have one?

Gawd, so many little problems doing me in!!! :) head AND body. Humans are not designed to put their heads under dashes!!! 

I have a Vitesse picture from WSM item 35 is different in my car, WSM lists two part numbers for right hand steer so probably a redesign, bolts to brackets just below windscreen.

36 is a spring clip that fits around column and is clamped between 35 and 34.

Picture of bracket on bulkhead.

Regards

Paul

IMG_20200727_132724.jpg

• Thanks 1

I think the shape of the support (29) is different depending on what gauges are fitted. The diagram above is for a single-dial 1200. The twin dial (Vitesse and 13/60) would have a different shape like you describe.

Item 36 is often missing but important to fit as it stops the column rotating and wobbling.

This is the same area of the 13/60 from Canley's website (saves scanning the WSM or Parts Manual!)

1572966923_ScreenShot2020-07-27at14_13_17.jpg.5e7820daa920e0da1a2f48521140a830.jpg

The y-shaped bracket screws to the bulkhead just under the windscreen then through the lower dashboard support rail by way of the studded bracket 35; this should hold it very solidly and along with the lower column clamp - 45 in the photo - means there should be no downward movement possible.

36 is a spring clip, it clamps the bonnet tube without distorting it; as Rob says, if not fitted the column tube will rotate and your stalks will point up and down rather than from side to side....

as the column tube and inner column are designed to be collapsible the springy thing is made so it holds the tube but on impact the tube is able to slide through the springy clip

so if you fabricate some sort of replacement  bear this in mind  i would think a decent firm strip of rubber or a foam would support and allow slip as a diy option 

pete

• 1 month later...

Hi

What I am missing currently, is one of the small return springs on the indicator stalk. They allow the little "ears" to auto return the stalk when you centre the wheels. I have managed to relocate the return clip on the PAS column and it works in one direction only, needing the spring to return the other.

Anyone got a S-H one?.

Pete

The ears, or the return springs? I found out recently that new stalks don't have them (the springs), and you have to cannibalise the old one. I was expecting to fail MOT with indicators that wouldn't stay on, but after it passed I inspected the stalk and found no springs at all, and so had to retrieve the old one and use those. There are also two different kinds of stalk, for early and late models, that use different forms of self-cancelling - the photo is the late version.

90CFDE1C-5B76-445A-8C2C-3DF692979150_1_105_c.jpg.a5022e51ad78a77532d2e13b6f7620fc.jpg

On 30/09/2020 at 15:41, Jeffds1360 said:

Yes Pete, I believe that is the one😅

Is it perhaps, available for purchase? 💓

At this time I don`t think so. In any case if they are available at £2. + p&p. it will likely be cheaper and safer, than me risking the post office queue, during the current "crisis".

Pete