Steering coupling - diameter of locking wire?

11 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Did you mean 0.8/0.9. If so. Would .8 be too bodgy?. .9 not squeeze in there?. I'm not an engineer, so just wondered.

Yes, that's what I should have said. I haven't tried any wire at all yet Dave but will sneak across to the in-laws Engineering works, probably tomorrow, and try a range of sizes. I'll take an original unmolested version across and four hours later, after myriad tests, gauges and examinations my father in law will confirm the size, structural strength, ancestry and chemical composition of the wire... then find me an old piece off a shelf somewhere that will match the original, by eye alone. It'll cost me a packet of chocolate biscuits but at least I know it'll fit.

Where’s the earth strap across the old assembled joint how did the steering column earth to get the horn to work.

I think I just used a length of baling wire to lock the bolts always have some in the garage.

Have you are you going to do the modification suggested sometimes on the forum of filing out one side of Each end of the clamp so it gets a more effective clamping effect. My daughters Spit assembly has loosened a couple of times permitting the steering wheel to be pulled up it wouldn’t have slid off but extremely disconcerting.

The earth strap is in the middle; it goes from one bolt on the top half to the other end of the bolt from the bottom half so that the current is able to cross the bushes through the securing bolts; not opposite, which would be the same half of the coupling, but at right angles. In the second photo it's under the bolt and washer closest to the camera, then is above the bush on the bolt to the left so that each half is connected through the bolts.

8B53E52D-6C2B-441F-9C0D-8E8745DB77B6_1_105_c.jpg.dadb6de3981b64a9b64e18e3e0180395.jpg 87EA38DC-D61C-4F70-88E1-46CA7539B0B0_1_105_c.jpg.f41bdc8cc942b70327672affa48139c4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...