Timing chain cover?

Roger K

Car is a late (post KE2000) non-roto GT6 MkIII.

The lump of sound deadener on the front of my timing chain cover has been damaged for ages, trapping water behind it which has finally produced a leak in the timing cover.  According to my original BL parts book, this is part no. 207492, but according to Rimmers this is the correct number for the Vitesse 1600 cover, which is NLA.

Rimmers show the GT6 part as 217069 - is this correct, and will it fit a late GT6 OK?

Thanks, Roger

I'd certainly trust the BL parts book (which I can confirm lists 207492 for the Mk3 GT6) over Rimmers! The 217069 part number shows up on Canley Classics for the entire range from Herald 948 through to GT6 Mk3 - and Mick Dolphin even lists it for 1500 FWD! I don't know what the difference is.

11 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

What am I missing?!! :o

Doug

Rusty holes.

They're all the same, Roger so don't pay big money for a special GT6 version and if the pointer is in a slightly different place from your original then mark the difference and you can adjust the engine to a different set of degrees.

• Haha 1

adding a wad of deadening gunge to the cover was a aid to engine noise and found on many makes , but after all these years of hot cold and vibration most have just dropped off there were also tests and ideas using rubber sandwiched rocker covers 

none really caught on , a  sound matt under the bonnet was a simpler arrangement 

Pete

13 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Rusty holes.

They're all the same, Roger so don't pay big money for a special GT6 version and if the pointer is in a slightly different place from your original then mark the difference and you can adjust the engine to a different set of degrees.

I thinksome haveasimple pointer, and some later ones have a "saw tooth" arrangement so timing can be easily set. Or am I imagining that? 

no pad on a Gt6 or much else  this was a general trend of the whole industry not  triumph    

some 2000 had the bonnet pad  some didnt  most improvements in sound levels came after herald spti gt6 had ended 

Clive  think youre right probably depends on some have marks on the damper others dont so need the  vvVvvv marker 

or the silly tube and hole set up on some 4 cyl orrible idea 

pete

41 minutes ago, clive said:

I thinksome haveasimple pointer, and some later ones have a "saw tooth" arrangement so timing can be easily set.

Yes. I'm fairly sure both my six cylinder cars have the simple pointer, with graduated marks on the damper rim. The Spitifre has a saw tooth on the timing cover, with a single notch in the pulley. I believe some early four cylinder cars had the single notch and a simple pointer, meaning you could only set TDC, then had to count clicks or use a fancier strobe light.

43 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

or the silly tube and hole set up on some 4 cyl orrible idea

Not as bad as some VW engines where the timing mark is on the flywheel, viewed through a small hole in the back plate.

1 minute ago, NonMember said:

Not as bad as some VW engines where the timing mark is on the flywheel, viewed through a small hole in the back plate.

Yes, my XK140 is like that.

I'll be fitting an unleaded head when I do the job as well, so while the head's off I'll stick a dial gauge on no.1 and check TDC against the pointer.

36 minutes ago, Roger K said:

Yes, my XK140 is like that.

I'll be fitting an unleaded head when I do the job as well, so while the head's off I'll stick a dial gauge on no.1 and check TDC against the pointer.

An ideal time to fit the earlier camshaft perhaps?? a little skim and make the car a little sportier to drive....

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

rubber sandwiched rocker covers 

none really caught on

In the 80-90's made several prototype rocker covers using a material called Antiphon, not sure if any made it into production. The material is still made by the Swedish company and used in noisy tractor cabs etc.

No idea what they use on modern cars, I can't even see the engine!

Iain

2 hours ago, Iain T said:

Ha Ha, I'm going down the Moss bushed rocker route and getting them reamed to a new shaft. 

Hi Iain.  Did you not have a new shaft with bushed rockers recently?.  If so did they get mullered with your oil flow issues?.

Is the Moss one a good un then?.  Also I thought Moss don't do Vit/GT6 stuff as such. I thought you had a Mk1 Vit, so unless a later Mk2 engine fitted (that maybe TR rocker compatible) they wouldn't stock them?.

Or was the Moss thing, you being ironic anyway?.   

Interested, as fitted a new cheap shaft a while back and have some pos tappet noise (I think I started the thread that went onto your recent rocker oil flow issues), though not had the time, or quite the inclination to strip it again.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by daverclasper

Dave, 

We're deviating from the thread so on par for the forum! 

I have a mk2 which I hope has the same rockers as a TR6, well that's what Moss said. 

I did buy what was supposed to be bushed rocker assembly, I even phoned to confirm, but it wasn't! The rockers although better than my original where still not what I ordered and described on the website so I'm reverting to plan Z and doing it properly!

Given a correctly gaped assembly etc and using the restricted external oil feed it should work fine with no oil pissing out only a nice dribble and maintain good oil pressure. 

One things for sure I'll find out in a week or so! 

Iain 

PS

If anyone knows differently regarding the suitability of the rockers please tell me! 

you can make a mk2 recon rocker set fit a mk1 but needs all the pedestals changing and the end cap needs a slim setscrew/stop  adding as the mk2 shaft wont fit  as is,   in a mk1 rocker cover its too long   the rockers are same thats about all .

got that tee shirt ... all the same they say   Grrrr    coblers 

Pete

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

I have a mk2 which I hope has the same rockers as a TR6, well that's what Moss said. 

Whoops, didn't realize from the 2 tone paint, it was a Mk2 , masquerading as an earlier model😉. Got to stick up for the cuter MK1's.

As far as I know? the later rockers/shaft, from the later, wider head etc, Vit Mk2/GT6 Mk2/Tr5/6, though I haven't read the Sideways thing above,, so I could be talking SH~~~..

Dave  .  

Edited by daverclasper

42 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Whoops, didn't realize from the 2 tone paint, it was a Mk2 , masquerading as an earlier model😉. Got to stick up for the cuter MK1's.

PO was allegedly a Lotus fan hence the two tone colour. I think the mk1 front grille looks better and I'm not, with this car, obsessed with originality. 

As I said I'll post the rocker results/problems/what works on your tappet thread. 

I think I'm going forwards and backwards......yes it's the classic car Salsa! 

Iain