Potential New GT6 Owner - Anyone recognize the car?

avivalasvegas

2 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

I wondered if the replacement frequency for the Rotoflex couplings was linked to years since install or miles driven. The car has only driven ~10K miles on the replacement couplings but service records indicate they were replaced over a decade ago. 

aVLV, 

You're embarked on a learning curve. 

Rubber ain't what it used to be, it's not made the same.

Tyre manufacturers recommend tyres should be replaced every 7 years, worn or not.

Avoid anything rubber from China, well, avoid ANY spares from China.

Look out for the Holy Grail acronym NOS, New Old Stock. 

Good luck!

Doug

• Like 1

avoid rubber products from India too, here in Aus we received a batch of T saloon engine mounts made in India we were lucky to get 12 months out of them before they seperated! My mate was an expert in changing them at the side of the road.

The daughters Mk2 Spit is fitted with Michelin tyres around 10 plus years old, no marks no cracks but they are getting hard so replacement reqd, I'll go for the softest tyre I can find see how they go unless son comes up with some freebees or cheapies! The 13in wheel dia is getting problematic here with a reduced selection.

1 hour ago, Peter Truman said:

The daughters Mk2 Spit is fitted with Michelin tyres around 10 plus years old, no marks no cracks but they are getting hard so replacement reqd, I'll go for the softest tyre I can find see how they go unless son comes up with some freebees or cheapies! The 13in wheel dia is getting problematic here with a reduced selection.

Just 2 days ago I replaced the tyres on my sisters 15 year old Yaris. All tyres had enough tread, and did pass teh MoT but with advisories. Rears were the original goodyears, craked and crazed. On teh front were 6 year old Michelins. Just as bad!

I won't be buying Michelin anytime soon.... (fitted 4 new Toyos, a bargain £100 for 4 delivered from Demon Tweeks, nice soft rubber, seem decent enough quality during a test drive). Had a similar experience with my Toledo, Michelins crazing badly after 5/6 years.

The GT6 had an in floor fuel tank like the Dolly Sprint very easy to remove the fuel sender and you can see right to the bottom of the tank.

Ran out of fuel in the Dolly due to misreading gauge (sender float hung up) there wasn’t a drop left in the tank still living that one down in the club!!

I made it back home! The AA man showed up an hour after I ran out of petrol (scary when doing 70mph on the motorway). 30 minutes and a few elongated starter pulls later I was back doing 70 but not before the AA man said he wished all his recoveries were as simple.

The drive home left me with several impressions and questions. I've started a new thread here and would really value your inputs. Many thanks in advance!