Potential New GT6 Owner - Anyone recognize the car?

avivalasvegas

Hello all,

Potential new owner here. The seller and I have just agreed a deal for this GT6 and I pick it up a day from now. I was hoping for your thoughts on this MK2, as I am new to this model's ownership but own other Classics:

1) The car looks original with the exception of perhaps the sunroof and the front bumpers. Were these factory options?

2) As you can see from the work carried out, looks like it's been modified a bit for performance. I have no way to guess what kind of power it must be generating now or the modifications are tasteful or a bit aggressive. 

3) Car seems rust free from the images and I will be inspecting it with a powerful flashlight. Any tips on where I should look?

4) I'll be driving it down from Liverpool, a good 4 hour nighttime trip. Other than a prayer book, anything I should carry with me or check before departing?  

Many thanks in advance!

13890114.jpg

13890112.JPG

2d0c177c-e4b2-413f-935e-3ed4a08e7ea0.JPG

0e6a0ce4-3ec1-4258-9fcc-3a64025c3bd3.JPG

13890116.JPG

I have AA with recovery and home start (not the best boost of confidence hearing that I should have it 😜). I don't have a club approved valuation but the seller does have an Admiral's insurance valuation, which is a reasonable indicator. 

The seller states that there are no leaks and the car runs well, and sounds genuine. The work detailed above indicates that the car was loved but I'm entirely unaware if the performance modifications improve or hurt reliability. Any thoughts? 

Wise words above.

Car has been done correctly (by the look/sound of it) over a number of years.

With all such modifications there are pros and cons. It "should" be 110bhp or thereabouts, but only a (calibrated) rolling road will answer that question.

Once you are happy that the car is reliable, and your trip home should prove that, I suggest you get out and use the vehicle as much as possible. That car is meant to be driven, not just to local shows, but european touring, Scotland, and the red line explored. Rev it to get the best from it🙂 otherwise the modifications will be a total waste of time (std cars are better for pootling about, high lift cams are for fun driving)

Sunroof may be original. Front bumper has been modified, quite possibly when the rechroming was done. Neither an issue and the roof is a welcome addition as some GT6's tend to be rather warm in the cabin.

• Thanks 1

Welcome! Lovely looking car.

There's good advice above, so I won't add other than to suggest checking the pressure of the spare tyre before heading home, and making sure you've got suitable jack and wheel brace. Punctures can happen to any car, any time!

Don't be concerned about advice to have recovery service details. A GT6 is as reliable as any car from the era. But in the unlikely event it breaks down, you will be glad to have the recovery number strored in your phone.

Main advice is to get to know the car (you will know it so much better by the time you arrive home), and most of all enjoy.

Please let us know how you get on.

All the best,

Nigel

• Like 1

Presumably you’ll be using motorways so ensure the car has hazard flashers that work and if not invest in a battery operated unit, preferably magnetic, that you plonk on the roof in case of breakdown. Ensure the wipers work. Take a large umbrella and a warm waterproof just in case you have to stand in the rain for a while. Hopefully none of these will be needed so “Good Luck” and enjoy! Let’s know how it goes.

Edited by Paulfc
Grammar
  • Like 1

the clubs 4 classic insurers offer a range of cover 

myself and many others recommend  peter james  as its always a best value , does not restrict mileages and covers recovery 

he can also group the classic and your modern all on one policy and if the dates are staggered pull it all together 

worth a call 

pete

1 hour ago, avivalasvegas said:

Sorry, should have shared that the car is in Belfast, Northern Ireland, so the MOT history wouldn't be available as is the norm here.

Yes, I recognise it. It appeared at a TSSC run in Carrickfergus about four / five months ago - unfortunately if I took photos I can't find any, and it didn't take part in the run, just parked with our cars in the car park - I was under the impression the owner had just bought it and the figure mentioned was the reason I upgraded the Insurance Valuation on my own! 

I've got the MOT / Tax details if you need them - are you travelling Belfast-Liverpool?

38286633_ScreenShot2020-11-12at20_30_58.jpg.fcd6f5720b80754180cb826657eb1092.jpg

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Yes, I recognise it. It appeared at a TSSC run in Carrickfergus about four / five months ago - unfortunately if I took photos I can't find any, and it didn't take part in the run, just parked with our cars in the car park - I was under the impression the owner had just bought it and the figure mentioned was the reason I upgraded the Insurance Valuation on my own! 

I've got the MOT / Tax details if you need them - are you travelling Belfast-Liverpool?

Very useful information and yes, the owner has had it for < 2 years. Meeting up with him and the car at Liverpool and driving it back. I'd appreciate all the information on the car I can get, so thank you very much! 

Colin just interested obviously being in Aus info not relevant but the Northern Ireland reg details says taxed to July 21 but underneath the writing says if you’ve  just brought the vehicle the tax or scorn doesn’t come with it,

Here generally the rego/tax is transferred with the car except the historic/club Permit Cars where the permit is with the owner not the car and the permit to use the car expires with change of ownership. I know all very confusing the registration authority uses the word Permit on the club permit applications but in their general web page explanations then generally call it registration so even we get confused!

A club permitted vehicle is restricted to 45. Or 90 day usage per annum Dependent on annual fee paid and for social or private usage only.

8 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Here generally the rego/tax is transferred with the car

It used to be that road tax was transferred with the car but as part of one of the "anti-evasion" changes a few years back they changed the rules. If you sell a car, the existing road tax "disc" (no longer a  physical disc) immediately expires. The seller can claim a refund, short a month or so, but the buyer has to buy new tax before driving it. No, you can't both have tax on the same car at the same time. Yes, the buyer does need insurance for that car before buying road tax. No, you can't both have insurance on the same car at the same time.

I don't know how it works in Australia - I know in some countries they're connected - but the vehicle's "registration" is completely independent of the tax over here. Registration declares the car's identity and its "keeper", and this is transferred on sale. Road tax is a permit to use or, indeed, exist, though a SORN declaration also permits the vehicle continued existence providing it's not on a public road of any sort. Even if the vehicle (or owner) is "tax exempt", the vehicle must still have road tax, it's just that it doesn't cost anything. And the tax still terminates on change of ownership, including (as a lady I met in the post office some years back discovered) if the car is historic and therefore "tax exempt" and the transfer of ownership is because the husband died and the wife inherited the car.

Rob has it all covered; it's also one of the ways in which drivers are forced to have their cars registered to them / Insured / MOTd - if a vehicle is detected as 'No Tax' then there has to be a reason, usually no insurance or no MOT but sometimes being used by a driver who has something to hide and is using an anonymous vehicle. It makes it harder for criminals to use unregistered vehicles, especially if the previous owner is legally obliged to immediately notify the authorities about the sale and that he no longer owns the vehicle. 

12 hours ago, poppyman said:

And another for Peter James.

Tony.

I would have said +1 for PJ as well in the past, but they tried to turn me over this year, saying that even though my premium was right, they didn't think I was paying enough to cover the risk, so they doubled my premium to £1200.

Most classic policies are underwritten by Equity Red Star.

43 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

I would have said +1 for PJ as well in the past, but they tried to turn me over this year, saying that even though my premium was right, they didn't think I was paying enough to cover the risk, so they doubled my premium to £1200.

Most classic policies are underwritten by Equity Red Star.

I remember you saying that Scrapman, did you ever get it sorted? You are also right about Equity Red Star.

Tony.