Which oil? Vitesse

Pablo

An often asked question....

for general driving, any "classic" 20/50 oil will be fine. Change it every 3000miles or annually, whichever comes first.

If you intend driving the car very hard etc, you will want something better (today there are oils that were not even dreamt of back in the 60's, and would be specified if our cars were made today)

Just got my Herald 1500 engine back in after a rebuild,(tuned a bit with roller rockers etc.)the builder has put Driven HR1 15/50 racing oil in it for the higher zddp content,my 2.5 Vitesse has Valvoline VR1 in it.The Vitesse engine has 12000 miles on it with excellent oil pressure from startup and when hot.

The driven stuff is listed as 1250 ppm,Valvoline is 1300ppm.

Steve

20210131_141005.jpg

Thanks again everyone. Some very helpful advice.

I took the car for its first short outing this weekend (it was acquired through probate so I hadn't driven it). Took a couple of mins to get her started, which isn't surprising considering it's not been started for years. 

The engine ran like a dream and didn't miss a beat. However, the brakes were sticking. It also wouldn't go into third gear. Brakes and gearbox are my next things to investigate!

probably needs a remote bush kit to  re align the gear change 

you will need to replace the brake and clutch fluids    recomend every 2 years as DOT4 absorbs water like a sponge 

as all a bit unknown  start with replace /repair  brake calipers and wheel cyl,  fit new disc pads       renew radiator hoses , new  tyres 

old tyres go hard and whilst may have good tread , wont have any grip , can be lethal    unless you fancy  hedges and ditches  

pick up a workshop manual from fleabay or club shop , look out for a haynes manual  all good for how too's 

or down load Steves     http://vitessesteve.co.uk/Servicemanuals

Pete

I agree with Pete replace all seals in the brake and clutch hydraulic systems, probably new calliper pistons and rear wheel cylinders (these are not worth repairing in my opinion), tyres should be replaced before 10 years old at latest and gearbox remote kit is an easy fix though don't get from ebay as there is a lot of rubbish kits out there. use a reputable supplier eg Canley classics, john paddocks, Rimmers

On 31/01/2021 at 19:30, Pablo said:

Took a couple of mins to get her started, which isn't surprising considering it's not been started for years. 

The engine ran like a dream and didn't miss a beat.

Wow. That is a result. No prep work first, eg cleaning out carbs?.  Also, sometimes cars will run for a few hundred miles or so, then things like carb o'rings, hydraulic seals give up.

Seems like a great car.  from what you mentioned on other post I think I remember?.

Enjoy.

Dave

On 03/02/2021 at 17:30, daverclasper said:

Wow. That is a result. No prep work first, eg cleaning out carbs?.  Also, sometimes cars will run for a few hundred miles or so, then things like carb o'rings, hydraulic seals give up.

Seems like a great car.  from what you mentioned on other post I think I remember?.

Enjoy.

Dave

She's a beaut. I had no intentions of getting one, but it fell into my possession and I had the chance to buy it.

Professionally restored in '94 (according to the tssc website), and is showing 27k on the clock. Though nearly 100 years old, the former owner had it MOTd every year until 2018. MOT records show it did 20-30 miles a year over the last 16 years, so I assume this was an MOT test run each year. 

The former owner passed away last year and left the car to a charity. The charity preferred to have the money, so I made an offer and the rest is history. 

• 2 weeks later...