Hey Diddle There’s Some Tools at Lidl

Paulfc

10 minutes ago, Casper said:

Closer to the sea.  Note my profile pic.

Further thread drift alert!

BTW, Colin, the first of our Swanage Festivals to announce this year is the folk Festival: 

Swanage Folk Festival to go ahead but jazz festival bows out for 2021 – Swanage News

Swanage Folk Festival

C.

Jon Boden!! Just been belting him out in the garage; he was competing with the compressor and the hoover both so was quite loud. Love his playing. Hope the neighbours didn't mind... between Spiers & Boden and the Morris On Band I'm sure they wonder what on earth is going on in there... :)

3 hours ago, Badwolf said:

A man enjoying his hobbies....simples.

Love it!

If you're aware of musicians like Ashley Hutchings, he has a number of live albums where there's obviously Morris Dancing on stage, but you can't see it on audio only; however there's a lot of smacking of sticks, bells ringing and guys shouting or cheering. I can just see them listening intently and telling each other: "Colin's wearing those funny white overalls and dancing round his wheelbrace again..."

397403650_AlfCobb.thumb.jpg.7d5e066f1d4d5f3617bb2013ae82df98.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JohnD said:

"One should always try something at least once - except incest and Morris dancing" - Oscar Wilde

He may have a point, but I don't have any incest CDs... so can't compare! I suspect you don't need sticks, bells and an accordion player either... :)

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

He may have a point, but I don't have any incest CDs... so can't compare! I suspect you don't need sticks, bells and an accordion player either... :)

Unless you have been on Doug's other site of course :) 

Tony.

I don't use a bench grinder with a wire brush to derust smallish items. I just gently put them in a container of brick/patio cleaner (acid) leave 24 hours and hey presto rust free, though I do have to rinse dry and undercoat pretty fast before they start to flash rust!  Lidl stuff is normally pretty good for home use though their way of selling means I buy a tool and then it sits unused for ages, by which time I have forgotten that I have it

10 hours ago, DanMi said:

Lidl stuff is normally pretty good for home use 

A lot of us spend big money on professional tools, and aren't professional... so we maybe use them once or twice a year and not every day as in a professional garage, and they're nearly too good for some of us. In many cases buying a cheaper option makes more sense, but there is also a lower limit. I've binned tools on first use, which bent, broke or just didn't do the job, so that's also a false economy. Even my LIDL cordless grinder went in the bin last month; admittedly it had lasted about four years but the bearings and eventually the shank both wore out far too soon. 

My bench grinder was bought in England in 1994, nearly killed me carrying it across town to whatever car park I was in, but it's still going strong. It's a 370W 1/2 HP Hilka and even then slows down if I hold anything too close to the wire brush.

At least with the Lidl (and I assume Aldi as well) guarantee, if you use a tool to excess and it gives up before the guarantee expiry, you should get a new one. Grieves me when an expensive item gives up just out of the normal 12 months sale of goods (or whatever it is these days) period.

any item sold can have warranty but that does not change your rights 

it must be of  capable of doing its job    be of reasonable quality and last a reasonable time   warranty has nothing to do with consumer rights law 

and your  contract is with the seller not get told to try the manufacturer 

JVS on 3 counties is always ranting on about  the law and its not warranty 

read this lot  yawn  

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

Sorry Pete. Badly phrased. Well aware of consumer rights. Also check out moneysavingexpert.com. Spent enough time in court over the years to get my rights, not only got the tee shirt, also got the writs!! I must be one of the few people ever to threaten (and mean it) to sue the county court.

Worked in retail and as Pete said a warranty can not replace your legal rights, an item has an assummed guality you would have more chance with a well known brand once the warranty has expired than a brand you have never heard off before or since.

Regards

Paul.

• Like 1

"The right tool for the job". First year apprentice Mantra.

Aldi/Lidle do come up with some good stuff and I apreciate and use it, (often to the death) 60quid for a pillar drill?. When I worked day in and out with my tools as a Milwright, on Factory maintenance. I bought what was then the best. (mostly Brittool). 90% of which I still have. Now I always look at the "work" a tool is going to get and the frequency of potential use. I had an Air Saw from Aldi. which packed up, they replaced it in store!. When I offered the manager the old one, he just said Dump it!. Took it apart one day when bored found a loose nut, preventing the blade return, put locktite on the thread, it`s still working!!.

Pete

• 4 months later...