Churchill hub puller and bearing puller available in North Tyneside. Plus Seat options.

Jeffds1360

6 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Cheers Colin, yes, a bit like putting the yoke in the vice??

Not quite, if you put the yoke in the vice you're working at the other end from your support - put the yoke in the vice and you've two feet of halfshaft waving about at the other end where the hub is, but clamp close to the hub and it's a lot steadier to work on.

7 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Great news :( Mathew, Where/how did you target the gas axe, I thought they were used for cutting metal?

Do you never sleep ;) ?

Sleeping for wimps, and it will get me the sack more than being on my phone! Gas axes are very good for quick heating of parts, breaking rust lock ect. Again at one of my previous works! I only work 5 months of the year! The wonder of four on four off nights.

• Jeffds1360 changed the title to Churchill hub puller and bearing puller available in North Tyneside now

heat can work didnt you do the old experiment at school with a ball sits ina ring 

you heat it all and the ball drops through the ring 

as expansion of the hub circumference  is linear it always grows more than the diameter of a shaft 

so cooking it  must assist separation 

Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

heat can work didnt you do the old experiment at school with a ball sits ina ring 

you heat it all and the ball drops through the ring 

as expansion of the hub circumference  is linear it always grows more than the diameter of a shaft 

so cooking it  must assist separation 

Pete

Looks like heat is last resort as per question, heat is a good solution. Fitted starter ring with an ordinary plumber's blow torch so it wouldn't take much.

Back when, we had an old gas ring (normally used for the big tea kettle) and used that sometimes on stubborn stuff, it will/would distribute the heat more evenly too. That or the one gallon Blowlamp!.

Pete

5 hours ago, Mathew said:

Fitted starter ring

When I did one, Ford Cortina, I think. Any way Pinto Engine I put the ring in The oven and the flywheel in the fridge. "indoors" was not amused!. But I did point out her contribution to the demise of the ring was equal, if not greater, than mine!. I was at sea 6 months of the year!.

Pete

Well I left it under tension but it still never moved. My gas refills arrived from Amazon within 16hrs of ordering so I gave it some heat. Bit smoke came off so stopped and I tried with my 3' breaker bar until my bench lifted, then a 7lb mell belted the end and.......still nothing.:(

Took puller off and the axle nut. Had a good look....maybe the back plate is a bit further back?? Weird.

Now I cannot get the nut back on!!! end of thread seems a bit crossed. I dont know how as the nut has been on protecting it !! Having a break then I'll get file out. Waiting for a stilson so I can attack it on the concrete floor.

:)

oooohhh Pete, I hope never to loose a fight with a mechanical object 

pleased it is only a spare part, it is not needed, thank goodness. 

Been running about with hardtop on. Using it like a daily. Getting 35/6 mpg with new carb bits and really enjoying the looks, waves and interest it creates. Boy, the seat digs in my back and legs. Are the mx5 seats a straight swap?

Here's me drifting off MY subject :)

17 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

:)

oooohhh Pete, I hope never to loose a fight with a mechanical object 

pleased it is only a spare part, it is not needed, thank goodness. 

Been running about with hardtop on. Using it like a daily. Getting 35/6 mpg with new carb bits and really enjoying the looks, waves and interest it creates. Boy, the seat digs in my back and legs. Are the mx5 seats a straight swap?

Here's me drifting off MY subject :)

I fitted Mgf seats , highly recommended , I do have fitting instructions if needed plus you can add heated seat elements 

BC30ACA5-415F-48AA-89CD-5DCA4A6A343D.thumb.jpeg.9f5495f579046b692b6644f43fb30324.jpeg

Paul

17 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I fitted Mgf seats , highly recommended , I do have fitting instructions if needed plus you can add heated seat elements 

BC30ACA5-415F-48AA-89CD-5DCA4A6A343D.thumb.jpeg.9f5495f579046b692b6644f43fb30324.jpeg

Paul

They look Nice, I have MX seats set up to fit to my 13/60. I wanted a bit more height so they are on 20mm box section rails.

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Now I cannot get the nut back on!!! end of thread seems a bit crossed. I dont know how as the nut has been on protecting it

I had a short piece of Scrap Brass between the screw and the shaft, Coated with Copperslip. It acted as a Thrust washer too?.

Pete

No spacer I am afraid, nut was set at outer end of thread and there is a dimple in the axle end that the ball on the puller sits in, shrug, Ahh dunnahh.

Giving it a rest.

Posh seats there guys, heated !!! raised!!! very nice. Do the mx5 seats from all their old models fit straight in?