Churchill hub puller and bearing puller available in North Tyneside. Plus Seat options.

Jeffds1360

I did try that Pete but perhaps not as hard as I could. My vice is a bit precariously. 

Tomorrow I'll set it up more solidly.

It's fun this renovating lark:)

Pity I have had to take car of the road due to having no nuts!!

2 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

I did try that Pete but perhaps not as hard as I could. My vice is a bit precariously. 

Tomorrow I'll set it up more solidly.

It's fun this renovating lark:)

Pity I have had to take car of the road due to having no nuts!!

Another thing you could try. Get it loaded up as before. And then drop it onto concrete from a height?. What I am seeing in your Photo is probably not sufficient to load it to the point where it will "crack"?. To illustrate, At One point I had a 1" square drive socket and 4 ft of scaffold tube, with the shaft braced against my bench with a pipe chain wrench. That was preload then I hit it with a 7lb hammer. The crack when it did go made me think I`d smashed it!. They are proper pigs to get free.!

:)   would heat on the hub help, with some ice packed round the backplate/trunion/shaft maybe?

.....this puller will only (maybe) get the hub off so I still have bearings to drift or pull off!

I suppose that's where the 'other bit' comes in handy.

I'll sort something in the morning. Must measure the bolt size and get a socket.

When I did mine (see earlier pic) I removed the wheel studs altogether and substituted HT bolts nuts and washers. I suspect the wheel studs would not have stood up to the load I had on. And could easily have gone beyond their elastic limit.

Might I respectfully suggest that you seriously consider renewing the studs before you re-fit the hub, Breaking an already over-stressed stud(s) in use, could be a recipe for disaster?.

Pete

Good point Pete but fortunately this hub and shaft are spare. I replaced ithem last year and am just investigating why it failed and prospective repair options.

Looks like I may have to destroy it before I find where the wear was.

If it was on the car I may break the brakes trying to hold it!

Good job my father is farther away

Hee hee the cans are getting through, though I nearly threw that

I just said that as I like getting my spelling in order :)

Thank you all again,  night night. Toons on radio

22 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

both halves of the pullers are available via your club shop   

so get one for future arm dislocating shaft bouncing antics     https://shop.tssc.org.uk/product/bearing-puller

and yes there is no picture  !!!!! of it     ( live in hope one day  might give us a decent web shop )

Pete

I note the price on yours is £48..!!!

When I looked in the shop today, it says £90 ???

That is why I haggle on Ebay.  :(

I always clamp the UJ spider in the vice, shaft can't rotate that way.

And I have a 3ft breaker bar and put all my weight on it to load the puller.

Occassionally they go as I jump, and it always catches me out and it really hurts as you hit the bench or floor.

3 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Mmm, I might try clamping the spider but my vice will probably rip off the bench!

I'm off to use the concrete and crowbar right now..................

:)

I'll report later

Clamp the hub firmly in the vice - the bit with the trunnion. Yes the axle will rotate but the unit will be gripped. Put a large screwdriver or breaker bar through the yoke. Now when you turn the hub puller the breaker bar will lock on the bench and prevent rotation. Don't try to grip the halfshaft, you'll just mark it.

Cheers Colin, yes, a bit like putting the yoke in the vice??

I unfortunately, do not have a breaker bar or a sufficiently large screwdriver :( 

I'm having a break, sun is out here.

Trying to find a socket for my impact gun 27.8mm or 1.1 " is the bolt head measure. I've asked in "TOOLS" what is right size and I'll need to buy one.

That box spanner is just not good enough. My vice and bench top are flexing too much, the crowbar cannot get a grip anywhere.

It is not a problem, I do not need to repair it but I need my wheel nuts back as I would like to take my 92 year ols neighbor out for a run (she asked !!!)

I've ordered 4 new nuts and a 28mm socket and a 5/8 witworth as well

10 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

So that is 1 1/8 AF?....should I buy one?

How close is that to 28mm or even 5/8 whitworth,  which I can borrow?

1 1/8 has slight play so 28 mm should be fine 

Paul 

• Thanks 1

Well....I have found that 5/8 whitworth is = to 1.1" AF and/or 27.8mm so I've gone for that.

I mean....really 1 1/8 is 1.125 so we got to get tight in this with 6 points only.

WHAT A BLOODY NIGHTMARE. ;)

Love it really, love whitworth too