Carpets

Douglas Arnold

• 4 weeks later...

Following on from the need to replace carpets but doing it oneself.

Putting aside the fair difference in cost, what are the pros and cons for a "moulded carpet" against a "stitched carpet"?

I notice that they comes in several pieces - do they need to be joined using glue or thread or fitted as supplied?

My Vitesse needs new as the previous were very rotten and mouldy, I see that there is a certain company that sells both types.

Moulded are certainly a better fit... for something. I've seen many reports that the Spitfire sets fit perfectly into a shape that no Spitfires actually are. I know mine are just not quite right.

However, the stitched ones in my GT6 are very obviously only an approximation of the shape, particularly (as Steve says) around the gearstick.

On the other hand, my GT6's carpets are nearly 20 years old and still in very good condition. I'm not convinced the moulded ones are as durable.

ive fitted loose and replaced with moulded  as said there are varying standards of both

as for fitting moulded which to me are far superior and are better as they are on formed needle loom felt so better at noise and heat insulation 

there is three base parts   two footwells and the rear floor 

the joint is run under the front of the seat runners , zone  can be fixed or screwed if thats wanted the  cills are glued in place as is the rear seat heel panel 

rear wheel arch covers may need some making /trimming and these are glued

Vit6 2009 001.jpg

Another vote for Moulded Carpets from me, although the Carpet Pile type is not exactly the same as per the originals, they are well made, hard wearing and a great fit on the Herald/Vitesse range?

One tip, if you want a set buy via one of the usual suppliers, Canley's, James Paddocks, Etc, it will be cheaper than direct off Newton Commercial the manufacturers

Regards

Gary

Vitesse Interior 1.JPG

Vitesse Interior 2.JPG

I got loose carpets from Coverdale, they could do the colour I wanted, Chestnut, an original Triumph interior, but not available anywhere as a moulded set. Comments on here talk about how good is the tunnel fit, however my observation is that the original GT6 tunnel carpet simply drapes over the tunnel and is not at all fitted.

Doug

Many thanks for all the comments, it seems like the choice is easy - moulded. The price I obtained  was from Rimmers, had a look at other suggestions found that Rimmers shewed what you got as a complete set where the others had all the bits marked separately, will have to do a bit more pricing research.

IMG_1097 copy.jpg

Being a cheapskate I followed Doug's advice and opted for Coverdale Carpets; I've ordered a set in dark brown for the white Herald, they worked out at about £160 which should have been delivered last Friday but have not appeared yet. I don't really need opulence or expense, just carpets that cover the floors (which the current ones don't) and which will themselves be covered with footwell carpets as this will be a well-used car, and I'll expect them to get both wet and dirty. I'll report on the quality when they arrive and the fitting when I get that far.

Oh yes, having a long careful web search, have got prices from six sites so far.

Prices seem to go from about £330 to £148.

As I am on the Club site, had a look in the shop to see if Vitesse carpets were available - would appear that they are not as no colour swatches are available but are for other models. 🤨

print the parts brochure off   go to main site  and click the club   all the downloads are there  shop is first one on the list

page 36   blk  green   blue  red   biscuit   grey   all models 

you need to be a signed on member to get members prices   this is a different log in to the forum so  best you need to register first 

https://www.tssc.org.uk/tssc/uploaded_files/2021 Shop Catalogue.pdf

Pete