How important is number of former keepers?

1969Mk3Spitfire

Could be a bit contentious, but I don’t mean it to be.

Why do we buy our old Triumphs? Fun, engineering simplicity, nostalgia or as an appreciating asset…..or a little bit of each?

Assuming that overall mechanical condition passes muster, how important is the number of former keepers, odometer reading, service history, documentation and provenance?

It’s a genuine question. I’d love to hear the views of others.

My Gt6 had 13 former owners from 1977... and I bought it in 2000. I presume 1977 was the date that records were updated so I've no idea how many from 1968 to 1977. I had it for 21 years and completely rebuilt it, so I suppose it's what the most recent owner has done that's important, not all those who have gone before.

'One owner from new' could mean a caring owner, a family history, or a reliable workhorse that was run on a shoestring. "One careful lady owner" is often someone who rode the clutch, never heard of oil changes, and parked by touch.

My Herald Estate was bought new by a man who drove everywhere with two greyhounds in the rear and ruined the car over ten years; he sold it to another who removed the engine and dumped the rest in a quarry. I'm only the third owner... :)

I bought my GT6 when it was 5 years old, it has one previous ownerHe never oiled or greased the trunions and towed a boat far too heavy for the car. It broke a vertical link, needed a re-bore, new rear and front springs, before it was 6 years old. It only needs one "couldn't care less owner"

But I know who you are, Keith Chitty, Oh, yes. :angry: 

Doug

I definitely like the fact that I know the broad strokes of the history of my Herald (4 previous owners, the one before me had it 1979-2007, the first from 1970-1977). I have enough MoTs to be pretty sure the mileage is original and that it went round the clock in about 1992. I have a few letters from the last owner, and it was the only car she had ever driven! It definitely has satisfaction value for me, and I’m a little disappointed I won’t ever have such info on my Spitfire. Though perhaps I don’t want to know, one of the 14 previous keepers did a whole load of crappy brazing and painted it red (including the rocker cover and radiator), and another did some crappy welding, fillering and fibreglassing and painted it green, the last then drove it around like that for near on 20 years. Not sure there’s much value in knowing anything else!

Years ago an RAF workmate of mine bought his first car - a Spitfire- without me test driving it first. It was 13 years old at the time and already had 13 owners. Needless to say it - it was a total shed!

I am only the second owner of my Vitesse and have had it for forty years now. I'd struggle to let it go now!

Gav

I bought my Vitesse in 1985,on an industrial estate in High Wycombe,paid £700 for it.

Didn`t look round it properly,it was a total shed, knackered outriggers, doors full of filler, no rear suspension to speak of.

But i still have it, completely rebuilt more than once, now fairly heavily modified but i still have the original engine with 90k miles on it.

It was a Bristol reg car, shows 7 former keepers. Around 10 years ago, i managed to get the history of keepers in the days when you could from the DVLA, i traced the first owner from 1970 through his unusual name and spoke to him on the phone, he was delighted it was still on the road.

I told my family they can sell it when i croak.

Steve

I'm lucky I've had my Mk2 Vitesse since it was 3 years old, ie it's a late 68 (PDN---G) and I brought it in mid 71, shipping it home to Aus in late 73, but the old log book shows it had 5 owners in those 3 years the original selling garage Robt B Massey of York (demo model), a lady owner in Ripon (looked up her residence nice historical house), Glovers of Ripon, then the M/S Zetland Estate (Olliver) where I believe for a short term it was the young lords daily driver until his new MGB GT arrived (no class!), then back to Glovers of Ripon then finally to me where it still is, but a long way from it's original cooold home to warm Melbourne where it's 38C today. I traded in a 66 Herald Conv for it (JBA37D), I have all the purchasing and shipping documentation for it, plus the original but tatty green log book.

It's been converted from a saloon to a Conv with a CKD Conv rear tub, and has had the rear side outriggers & side rails replaced, amazing what 5 years North of England winters can do, all the mechanicals are original, Oh it has an Aus CKD Herald 12/50 bonnet fitted (4 headlight Vitesse style) as the original was damaged by in a shopping car park, not by us! When in England it did 2 round GB tours with us and overseas friends 4 up plus luggage, plus several European trips to all 70's civilized European countries!

Whilst now not it's fully original body, it's been mine 50 years and I still enjoy it & tinkering keeps me sane & active at nearly 77 & oftern wondering WHY did Triumph make that part or assemble it that way!

Many thanks to all for responding. The general consensus is pretty much aligned to my thoughts. My Spitfire has had few owners and has a rock solid history including the original Bill of Sale. While its condition today, after full restoration, is most important, I do find it reassuring and quite satisfying that I know its provenance.

I’ve been thinking about buying another car, they seem to be addictive. One car I’m aware of has had quite a lot of former keepers and has a sketchy history.

Im the fifth keeper of my 74   2000 mk2 Saloon and the previous owner was in Bridgewater , I wrote to say she was still in good hands as it had not been run much since 1990's

and received a nice reply  and strangely the couple had moved to Bridgewater from our estate in Luton  ... small world

Pete