Car stopped dead

sulzerman

Hi all and happy new year!!

Driving along in my 2500 tc saloon yesterday suddenly with no warning, ignition light comes on and engine stops, then starts for a split second then stops again and I coast to a stop. Would not restart, I had a quick look under the bonnet and no obvious faults. Car then restarts and drives normally! Car was only driven for about 1 mile so was still cold.

New parts fitted in last six months are HT leads,dist cap, condensor and points (both Lucas NOS) coil and spark plugs. 

Also fitted with good quality red rotar arm

I tried wobbling all wires and connections under the bonnet this morning, and all seemed fine.

Anyone got an idea?

many thanks 

Paul

Is this a manual car? Was it still in gear when the ignition light came on? And when you say the engine "stops", do you mean total loss of power or the gearbox disengaged and it stalled?

If the ignition light came on while the engine was being spun by the wheels then my guess is a dodgy contact or connection on the ignition switch.

Thanks for the help.👍

Battery is definitely good.

No splutter engine suddenly stopped dead, it kept rotating with momentum.

Ignition light was on by the time it stopped not sure if it was on when it cut out.

Will check coil leads tomorrow

well the genny light will come on if  the engine has stopped dont feel  that is of any significance 

it just shows the alt/dynamo  have a feed and the controls work the red light to show there is no charge 

if it cranks over ok the battery and its terminal posts are are ok as corrosion of the posts is common after  lay ups

Pete

I would have thought if there was a problem with petrol supply the engine would cough & splutter rather than cut out suddenly. My penny is on a sudden loss of electrics, somewhere in the system including ignition switch, coil, distributor.

If it is an intermittent fault it will be harder to locate than an actual complete failure, good luck I'm sure you'll crack it.

19 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

well the genny light will come on if  the engine has stopped

Yes, but it also comes on in the opposite condition - engine still spinning (driven by the wheels) but ignition off. And on a manual, the engine will still be spinning unless you declutch. A misfire (loss of coil lead) will NOT cause the light to come on until you let the engine stop rotating.

I thought maybe the tank vent blocked and vacuum build up causing fuel starvation. (Take the petrol cap off and listen for the woosh of air in!) But sudden stop has to be electrical, I suspect something around the coil and it's wiring. Is the dizzy cap on OK? 

Doug

the problem of it runs  it stops  you get out  kick the wheels  it starts is a common fault  of coils wired back to front 

its frustrated many over my years 

in fact last month my son helped a local in canada with a  GT6 doing just that the car had been to various experts!!   a quick look showed the coil was crossed over 

rectified  and not stopped since   he was leader of a local triumph clan   he was amazed  

the old dogs and tricks  must have rubbed off      etc  

Pete

Hi Paul,

NOS capacitor (Condensor) is not always the way to go.. Capacitors like to be used regularly.

Another annoying area-On my TR4A 25D dizzy the flexible wire inside that joints the outside world to the points. had become unattached to its tag.

The solder had peeled off the tag.It look good but was not. It took me three r fours days travelling across Scotland before I found it.

The wire on item 3.

tr24_16_07_01.jpg

Roger

On possible electrical faults, if you have a RVC type tacho (electronic and looks more or less like the attached picture) then they can theoretically fail and short the coil to earth via the tacho rather than the points (I think?). So detaching the tacho feed from the coil, white wire with black trace, and running without it is also worth testing. 

image.jpg

If you have a meter, connect it between +ve coil connection and battery -ve terminal. With ignition 'ON' there should be a voltage present permanently. If you do not have a meter, use a 12v test lamp. Keep operating the ignition switch ON/OFF to make sure it is not intermittent.

49 minutes ago, Wagger said:

If you have a meter, connect it between +ve coil connection and battery -ve terminal. With ignition 'ON' there should be a voltage present permanently. If you do not have a meter, use a 12v test lamp. Keep operating the ignition switch ON/OFF to make sure it is not intermittent.

Thanks, will test this at the weekend

11 hours ago, sulzerman said:

I am thinking maybe a ignition switch problem.

I had a dodgy ignition switch!

I have a ballasted system, at turn on the engine would fire but immediately die. 12 volts at start up was working, but 6 volts normal running wasn't connecting. 

A failing ignition switch could cause the symptoms you have,

Doug

Had good fiddle this afternoon. 

Took out ignition switch while test lamp was on coil+ and battery-, all good not even a flicker on the lamp.

Checked coil connections + feed to coil spade connection slightly loose. All others good, changed condenser as a precaution.

Hopefully will be ok now🤞

1 hour ago, sulzerman said:

Took out ignition switch while test lamp was on coil+ and battery-, all good not even a flicker on the lamp.

You could maybe bypass switch with a wire from battery +  to coil + (remove switch + from coil), if you still have problems, to see if it behaves?.

I think it's ok to do this, stop car by stalling and remove wire, or disconnect battery, to stop coil burning out when finished driving?.

Not sure if this a good idea, just something I thought off?

• Like 1