Which battery for Triumph Herald?

jagnut66

Hi

Hetty's battery has become a cause for concern over the last few months. 

Partly because I have a new alternator on her, which appears to be functioning okay but also because I believe she may have stood for some time (a year?) prior to my acquiring her.

Throw into the mix that its actual age is an unknown and I find myself in a position where my preference is to replace it with a new battery, therefore starting from a known position regarding age and (hopefully) condition.

If the new battery then proves to be a problem I am also then in the stronger position of having a receipt from a more local (than Wales anyway! 😉) motor factor, where I can return and exchange it if necessary.

So my question is what battery would people on here recommend? 

I have measured the battery tray area and find the maximum size that will fit is 10 1/2" x 6 1/2". The current specification on the existing one is noted as: 12V 45Ah 425A with a model designation of '063'.

There are some letters before the '063' but they look like they relate to the manufacturer and I have seen the '063' designation used before on other batteries (from Halfords for example).

I have additional ancillaries (like a radio), so my main requirements would be good output and longevity.

Many thanks,

Mike.

Mike,

063 is a widely used battery and therefore relatively cheap, I've got one on my GT6 and my brother has one on his Spitfire. You have to consider warranty 3- 5 years and Ah, 42 - 52. 

3 years 42Ah £40.

5 years 52Ah £96

I buy from Euro Car Parts who have a constant sale, I bought an Exide 44Ah, 3 years, for £40. it's now £55, but will doubtless come down.

And, they deliver.

KEEP THE RECEIPT!!!

Doug 

I've recently replaced the one in my 13/60 and went for something with more umph! A 540Ah. The size is 242x174x190 mm. Pretty much the biggest physical size that can be fitted on the tray. To fit it I have extended the retaining arms at the sides by putting an 'S' hook on the bars and through the mounting. Remember to bear in mind that most of the batteries offered will need to be fitted 'the wrong way round', I assume your Herald one mounts the same as a 13/60, so the +ve & -ve terminals are correctly positioned for the cables. As for make, take your pick, look what is on offer, what length of guarantee they offer.

Should be 540A not Ah . . .Don't know my amps from my elbow . . .

Edited by Chris A
error

45 minutes ago, jagnut66 said:

I have additional ancillaries (like a radio), so my main requirements would be good output and longevity.

Many thanks,

Mike.

The extras don't make any difference to teh battery, when running the alternator or dynamo should be enough to cope with all the car b=needs, more or less. The battery is only there to start the car, and maybe, act as a bit of a safety margin for short term stuff llike horns, or heated rear windows etc. So  a massive battery is rarely of real benefit if the car starts easily and regularly used. However, some of our cars get left for ages, and the battery will partially discharge, so a bigger battery offers some reassurance.

063 or 075 will be good choices, 075 seems to be overtaking in terms of availability and is a smidge bigger. By quality, and I too like ECP as if it does fail, returns are usually local and simple. 

1 hour ago, clive said:

However, some of our cars get left for ages, and the battery will partially discharge,

This is where I was coming from, as I am currently recharging it for the third time in as many months. 

Euro Car Parts seems a good option then, as I have one local to me.

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

KEEP THE RECEIPT!!!

I always do, it'll go in Hetty's (ever expanding) history file. Needless to say the one for the alternator is already in there.

It is one thing that surprises me though, how many people still don't bother to keep receipts for parts bought and work done, even these days, when you'd have thought it would be common knowledge that it underlines that a classic has been looked after and maintained.

Best wishes,

Mike.

I know it is contentious, but once you've got a battery (and an 063 spins my 1300 spit engine and fires it every time, despite long lay-up times), do consider investing in a top-up charger/conditioner. Hooked up every few months, it gives the battery a boost. Obviously you could take the car out for a spin instead but as we know, time doesn't always allow for these things...

• Like 1

Paul only trouble I have here is the receipts are usually out of the Visa machine and the print fades with time so I scan them and print it out keeping copies in the glove box and car file.

I also write on the side of the battery in silver permanent marker the, Date purchased, who from, warranty period, how paid for,  and receipt number.

9 hours ago, Patrick Taylor said:

I know it is contentious, but once you've got a battery (and an 063 spins my 1300 spit engine and fires it every time, despite long lay-up times), do consider investing in a top-up charger/conditioner. Hooked up every few months, it gives the battery a boost. Obviously you could take the car out for a spin instead but as we know, time doesn't always allow for these things...

Strangely. Mine, (a Halfords 063?) has been hooked up to a 15W solar panel (Aldi), for the last several years, (yes, I know, I should get back to doing some more on the "kit of parts"😪, but it`s bloody cold in there!!), It is still happily sitting at 12.5V, and occasionally gets pressed into action to start a reluctant "modern"👍. The "file" is very fat, mostly from the P-O`s, back to the 1980`s, I keep threatening to scan it all and archive it. But the paper is impressive, I think it includes the original bill of sale?..

Pete

Till receipts - Yes they fade in time, are heat sensitive (Doug found out the hard way some time back) and react badly to sticky tape, so yes scan/photograph them and keep the copy safe with the original. Some companies get stroppy and say they won't accept a copy, only the original. The law says that any form of proof of purchase (credit card statement etc) is acceptable for a guarantee claim but I can do without the hassle that some dealers put you through to avoid the claim.

Well, I now have a new (larger) battery on the car from Euro Car Parts, so we'll see if that solves the problem. Despite being larger it still fitted very well into the area allotted, without any need to 'extend' the clamp arms, so a result there.🙂

As an aside, the receipt was a A4 sized printout, so hopefully won't fade, although these days I keep all my receipts in a plastic wallet in a drawer out of the light, so find even old till receipts can fare better than described above, though I have seen them turn black in the past.

Best wishes,

Mike.

New battery on Triumph Herald 24-01-22.JPG