Headlamp relay fun

Iain T

3 hours ago, Iain T said:

More investigation today, I know the blue/white mains circuit is ok but the blue/red dipped isn't. I plugged in the iffy lamp pull switch brown on terminal 1 and two brown/red on terminal 3/4 that is how the wiring diagram shows and how it was before I started, the problem terminal is number 8 which should feed the interior/sides. I pulled out the switch and had 12v at terminal 3/4, good. I then took off the column stalk cover and checked the voltage at the blue/red terminal, nothing! I checked the blue/white and there was 12v. This indicated the stalk is the culprit. To placate myself I run a cable from the relay end of the blue/red to near the stalk and checked if it was broken, it was fine 0.6 ohms. So I hadn't unplugged the cable when playing with my washers.

So to conclude I think the pull switch needs cleaning/replacing but the main problem is the stalk switch. If it is the stalk then how is it removed? I can see I may have to unbolt the steering column clamp to access the cables then as I can't see any joints make my own connections to the new one?

Am I wrong.......Help Please!!!!

Iain

Surely at the column switch you would have 12v on the blue/white (main beam) and nothing on the blue/red (dip beam) if the switch was selected to main beam? I take it you then tried it in the dip position to prove the switch is duff....

18 minutes ago, johny said:

I take it you then tried it in the dip position to prove the switch is duff....

Update! The  stalk switch was full of what I can only describe as brown hard wax?! I cleaned up the connections and Eureka I have power. Checked it many times on dip and mains and seems stable. I've put everything back and now just need to tackle the pull switch and get four new H4 connectors with tails to finish the job. If I hadn't persevered I'd have bought new bits for nothing. I like no cost wins! 

However the dip sealed lamps still don't seem very bright and I know I have 12.2volts!

What next....halogen lamps? Which make fit into the original bowls? 

9 minutes ago, johny said:

Now you need to decide how much night driving your likely to be doing

I agree normally very little I feel very vulnerable in any small classic car on todays roads! However I want to do the RBRR this year so good dipped beams are essential. I've asked my only classic car friend if he wants to do it but he likes his 8 hours in bed so I might be on the lookout for a suitable nutcase, sorry motivated individual, to share the drive. I can't do 48 hours and 2000 miles on my own! 

Iain 

1 minute ago, Iain T said:

Oops, isn't it every year?

No, RBRR and 10CR alternate years. It used to be RBRR on even years but Covid has swapped them (back to the pre-1973 odd years). Also, this year's 10CR was sold out in three hours from entries opening, and last year's RBRR wasn't that much slower.

15 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

In the 60’s I used Marchel spot lights for club rallying.

A very popular "addition". 4 of the big bugger`s would light up Dalby Forest!!. Made the alternator work hard though!. I think I still have a small 5"? one kicking about somewhere?.

Pete

17 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

In the 60’s I used Marchel spot lights for club rallying

I do have a pair of Cibie spot lamps, they were fitted to the car when I bought it. I've taken them off as six lights up front seemed overkill! Plus they blanked off the radiator. 

I've left the Cibie mounted at the back of the boot, it would light up my derriere if it were connected! Why did the PO fit it and not plug it it?? 

Iain easy enough to wire the reversing cibie up and see the effect, you've already got a std Lucas reversing light on the boot.

The Cibre with over riding on switch would be great at dazzling those hotted up blue BMW headlights that blind your rear view mirror! don't tempt me!

5 hours ago, Badwolf said:

I'm sure that the headlights of my Spitfire are brighter than my modern. It's like driving with four candles (cue for jokes and futher drift) on the bonnet. No wonder some many drive on full beam.

I've had the same model cars with Xenons, H4's  and H1 bulbs. Give me the Halogens every time. The Xenons don't seem a patch on them and cause oncoming drivers to 'Flash' me. I do not get on driving with blue bulbs either. I just use good quality 'White' ones.

13 hours ago, Badwolf said:

I'm sure that the headlights of my Spitfire are brighter than my modern. It's like driving with four candles (cue for jokes and futher drift) on the bonnet. No wonder some many drive on full beam.

Go on then. Fork Handles?.🤣 "Gerald Willey" had a way with words!.

Pete

16 hours ago, Badwolf said:

I agree, both of our moderns are dire. In the Mondeo at night recently I was sure both bulbs had blown and we were on sidelights. I must upgrade to a brighter set.

11 hours ago, Wagger said:

Give me the Halogens every time. The Xenons don't seem a patch on them

I agree, the Xenon lights on my modern are rubbish. Earlier this year driving down unlight country roads they were terrible. Not any unlit roads where I live so I've never really noticed before. 

the LED on my daily caugth me out whilst bright and white there seems less light penetration and going to the pub meet 

nearly came a cropper as you couldnt tell the  layby from the slip road , in all my years ive never had that trouble 

anchored up just in time to dive into the slip road ... hairy moment of where hell are we ..in the dark i suppose 

the automatic main dip functions very well but i would sooner have confidence in seeing is believing not wtf Oops!! followed by a lot of gravel 

dont get me going on silly designer lenses with more stray light chards spewing in all directions coming towards you  

bring back the old round lense with a accurate flat top cut off ....it just works 

Pete