Stainless Steel Wheel Nuts

JonLow

Just brought the Spit 1500 out of the garage and noticed the chromed wheel nuts are flaking off the very thin layer off chrome plating. Now I bought a new set from Rimmers less than 2 years ago and have only 600 road miles and yet half of them are peeling off the chrome plating already, complete rubbish quality. I would have expected a copper plate coat on the steel to make sure the chrome bonds well, but no chance, just cheaply produced items.

Can anybody recommend a quality supplier, presumably stainless steel is the only answer these days. I am worried but looking at the usual suppliers and the items they show are either not the same shape as the originals, or the picture shows the stainless as very pitted.

Anybody happy with there replacement wheel nuts they have purchased? Thanks.

I looked at Canleys, because they used to be known for their quality spares. However, the picture of their stainless steel nuts do look a bit grainy and dull. Maybe I should ring them and ask them if they are really good finish.

I got stainless nuts about 5 years ago. very pleased with them certainly better than the peeling chrome originals.

There are several sorts  

These look right, but will cost you £95  Wheel Nut Set - Steel Wheels - SS - Set of 16 - 21H6210SSK (rimmerbros.com)

These don't look right but will only cost you £60  SS Wheel Nut-3/8 UNF - 60 Degree Taper - RL1471SS (rimmerbros.com)

I waited for a Rimmer's sale and got them for £50, but that was 5 years ago.

Doug

The chrome always flaked of nuts which is why the later ones had the little 'v's cut into the edges to try and restrain that tendency - didn't work.

Hence stainless.

Rimmers, Canley and Moss all have photos of the nuts which have the right shape. But given the prevalence of hopeless imitations I'd be most particular that what is sold is actually what is pictured.

The nuts are , in essence, just hex bar that's been turned down. Although the dome is polished, the faces never have been, from any supplier. It's down to the owner to polish the faces which is a slow and tedious business. Took me two days to do my set, even once I worked out a good method that didn't take the sharpness of the edges of the hex.

4 hours ago, Mathew said:

On this rare occasion i agree with you. Stainless nuts on ht bolts can work, on the stag and 2500s alloy wheels the nuts in alloy are poor, the stainless replacements are a vast improvement. 

If that is agreement, I'd hate to disagree!    

Your "common or garden" 304 stainless has a tensile strength HALF that of The equivalent steel. You have to go to 440 grade (and 4 times the expense) to get anywhere close. Hence, In My View, the reason why those available from reputable sources are indeed 4 or 5 times the price of "steel" ones. 440 grade is also more problematical to machine.

If you are using them with "Alloys" be careful of Bimetalic errosion too.

Pete