Oil recommendations

Rockape

On 16/06/2022 at 08:46, JohnD said:

To understand more about lubricants, I recommend the small book "Which Oil?" by Richard Michell.    He is a retired oil industry guy, who got into classics on his retirement, and found so much was misunderstood and based on myth in that world that he wrote his book.

No connection with Michell, save as a reader,

John

Where did you get your copy John? I’ve just been looking and can only find ex US or Australia copies so far. Though the first hit I got was a different book entitled “Which essential oils are safe for cats”!

9 hours ago, Piglet said:

According to Rimmer Bros...yes. That's handy as I  have about 8 litres of it.

Alex

No reason it won't be fine. Pressure may(will) drop slightly over 20/50, but people are too hung up on pressure. 

My only slight concern is if the sump is full of old sludge, a more modern oil may start to break it up. However, if there is reason to believe the engine has been rebuilt in the past 15 years or so, that shouldn't be a concern. When you drain the old oil a poke about via the sump plug would be a easy check.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

The thing about GL5 oils attacking yellow metals is based on out of date information.

So are you saying that all GL5 oils currently on the market are yellow metal safe for use in a differential, if so, I'm sure that people on here would like to see the proof.

Certainly, there are a lot of GL5 spec oils that have been formulated to be yellow metal safe, but I cannot believe that ALL of them are now yellow metal safe, especially when used in a differential.

It's normally only in a differential that the conditions needed to get GL5 oils (that are not yellow metal safe) into a state where they corrode yellow metals are achieved.

Even a non-yellow metal safe GL5 oil will normally work in a gearbox without causing damaging levels of yellow metal corrosion.

11 hours ago, KevinR said:

Even a non-yellow metal safe GL5 oil will normally work in a gearbox without causing damaging levels of yellow metal corrosion.

However GL5 is not recommended/wise as it is can be slippery for brass synchro rings to "bite" well enough. 

I thought a GL5 just has more of the additives than a GL4 so effectively surpasses the lower spec. Basically a GL5 can do the job of a GL4 (although of course the duty might not require it) but not the other way round. HOWEVER the increased concentration of additives could be detrimental to any copper and brass components if the unit in question has them....

GL4 and GL5 are specifications, its quite possible to formulate an oil that meets both specifications.

The problems are that when the GL5 specification was released, the "design solution" from most oil manufacturers to create an oil that met GL5 was to include a lot of sulphur compounds, and under the right conditions these react with yellow metals and corrode them.

It is quite easy (but more expensive) to formulate a oil that meets GL5 without including the sulphur compounds - and because it is more expensive, many manufacturers dont want to spend the money making an expensive product that people are less likely to buy because there are cheaper alternatives available.