E10 resistant flexible fuel pipes

Mick Foster

I have to replace the front diff oil seal on my Spitfire 1500 so I thought while I am underneath getting all grubby I would replace all the flexible fuel pipes at the same time (I have already done the engine compartment). The pipes are the factory originals so I think it's worth replacing them with an E10 resistant type. I have some Agoma SAE J30 R6 and also some unbranded (maybe Barricade) SAE 30R14T1 but not sure if these are OK for E10. Any ideas or do I need to get something else and if so what?

Many thanks in anticipation of your collective wisdom.

Thanks guys. The pipe I have came from reputable suppliers. I think some was from the club shop but a while ago and I am not sure if it is ok for E10. I did look at the shop website but could find it, maybe I will give them a ring.

I did once buy some cheap Ebay pipe and it didn't last five minutes. Never again!

Mick,

Having lost a couple gallons on the garage floor due to rotten rubber I got Gates Barricade from the club shop, proof against E5 and E10.  I generally try to fill up with Super Unleaded which is E5, however I did run low on one occasion and had to settle for E10. This resulted in a difficult idle and it was clear that if E10 was all that was available I'd have to adjust the timing. Not having filled up the Triumph for a while in these difficult times, is E5 not available? :o Probably an eyewatering price if it is! 

Doug 

3 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Mick,

Having lost a couple gallons on the garage floor due to rotten rubber I got Gates Barricade from the club shop, proof against E5 and E10.  I generally try to fill up with Super Unleaded which is E5, however I did run low on one occasion and had to settle for E10. This resulted in a difficult idle and it was clear that if E10 was all that was available I'd have to adjust the timing. Not having filled up the Triumph for a while in these difficult times, is E5 not available? :o Probably an eyewatering price if it is! 

Doug 

I paid £1.97 for Tesco Momentum BUT local garage was asking 15 pence premium Tesco was 5 p 

Paul

Here we go on the thread drift on fuel prices (apologies, Mick!) but my local garages are as low as £1.87 and as high as £1.99, with some reputedly as high as £2.20.

We had a Filling Station owner on the radio recently breaking the figures down and telling us so much was cost, so much was duty, so much was VAT and he was left with between 3p and 5p profit per litre. If it's all a set price, then the garages charging £2.20 and over are making 33p per litre profit compared to the lowest in our area, and I'm sure it's worse UK-wide. They may (like some Parts Suppliers) have a lot of overheads but it seems more like profiteering at a time when money is becoming scarce for many motorists. I think a lot of us will vote with our wheels / feet and support those who kept the prices low.

I paid £2.05 / litre for BP Ultimate Unleaded yesterday on the way home from Bressingham... That was 9p up on regular unleaded.

It pays to check the material specification even when buying from a reputable supplier. It amazes me how many are still selling R6 as their 'ethanol' resistant fuel hose - I got caught out and have a coil of unused pipe sat in the shed. I subsequently bought from the Club Shop at last year's Duxford show to avoid paying postage.

Thanks,

Paul

Fuel Prices!! Smug, Smug, Smug. So when there was a shortage back in the "spring", I did a hoarding job and have 10litre of E5 @ around £1.40ish?, in my garage!. The reason for the "hoard" was that we had a series of Hospital visits scheduled, (oncology), and it was all that was available locally, and I did not want the risk of running too low. In the event not required, and to be fair I had all but forgotton it was there!!. I will have to get it used up now but SWMBO`s car will use it, it will take E10 as a matter of course. We are back to Oncology on Wednesday, despite her having a stroke 2 weeks ago!!. This time with a wheelchair too.

Haven`t been anywhere near the 13/60 for several weeks now!. In fact I cannot see parts of it for the crap "stored" on it. Just finished loading the Dishwasher, and the laundry is next!, at least the Bed has been made to-day!. Lunch was a "one pan and Slow-cooker job".  The sky guy just swapped out the Q box (for the second time in 6 weeks) and left. Dog will need walking next. After I chase up the Hospital who have been calling but wont leave a name so the call blocker won`t let them through....... What part of leave your name do they not understand?. What is it about NHS admin?. do they all come from the same mould?. The Front line staff Dr`s, Nurse`s, paramedic`s all brilliant, back of house? bunch of Deadbeats!!.

Rant Over

Pete

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If it's all a set price, then the garages charging £2.20 and over are making 33p per litre profit

Are you comparing prices at a supermarket with those at a small independent garage?

I'm sure that, as here, the small garage who buys in smaller quantities will be paying more per litre than the supermarket down the road. Then there is the VAT that will vary according to the price unlike the flat rate taxes that are fixed per litre. then of course there will be VAT to pay on the taxes, if the structure is anything like that here. . .

Bl**dy complicated!

Two local supermarkets, same company, were charging 10 centimes different for 98 E5 on Friday, usually if there is a difference of 1 it is a big gap. I needed to fill up the Herald for my day out and if was worth it to do a dog leg detour to go to the cheaper one . .

Mind you it is still cheaper than beer or wine . . . Lucky car!

54 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Are you comparing prices at a supermarket with those at a small independent garage

A friend's in-laws ran a garage and taxi business, they filled the taxis at the local supermarket, the supermarket retail price for fuel was below what they had to pay for fuel for their garage.

Regards

Paul.

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Are you comparing prices at a supermarket with those at a small independent garage?

No; the cheapest was a small independent roadside garage, 200 yards down from a large franchise garage who was next highest. The £1.99 was one of those unmanned stations (Called 'Go' over here) where there's no shop, you pay at the pump by card.

When the fuel smuggling was in full swing over here ( one of the reasons certain people don't want a 'hard border' over here at present, makes smuggling it more difficult...) you could fill up your car for embarrassingly little and the shop would give you a free bag of potatoes and a box of chocolates as well.