Vitesse price

micmak

4 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Would this also apply to the 13/60? If so do you have a photo, please, as mine doesn't have any type of fixing.

Ignore this as I've just looked at the handbook and there is a photo of it. Must think how I can fit a strap - boot has a carpet fitted 🤔

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Would this also apply to the 13/60? If so do you have a photo, please, as mine doesn't have any type of fixing.

There should be two captive nuts for setscrews in the boot floor to one side; I'll photograph mine when I'm next out there, but the photo shows where the jack should sit:

jack.thumb.jpg.f5e5a7331e8f08ebbec8a5cb21489aeb.jpg

On 25/01/2023 at 14:38, NonMember said:

Probably running weak and at high load, which is the same conditions that caused VSR on my Toledo.

Was that the only damage?. Interested as running Jap 2 stroke Motorbikes years ago, if running a  bit weak/or maybe timing a bit out?, at usual/higher occasional revs could sometimes cause holed/melted pistons. ( has since made me a bit paronoid about running weak). Hopefully, this is not such an issues with an old cast iron 4stroke engine, such as ours?. 

4 hours ago, Chris A said:

Can't do that with my 13/60 as there is a bolt that goes through one of the wheel stud holes so it can be fixed in place to stop it being thrown up in case of a rear impact.

Yes I note that on Mine, it will have to be "modified" I think, will know when I get that far.

Pete

1 hour ago, daverclasper said:

Was that the only damage?

Yes, unless you count the (somewhat subsequent) big end failure that may have been seeded by the thrashing. The pistons on our cars are fairly sturdy and much less likely to melt than a motorbike engine, especially in the very mild Toledo tune.

I was partially responsible for about half a dozen cars with all four pistons melted through, some years back. A software bug that made the ECU react to a failed turbo boost control pipe (not fitted properly on the production line) by whacking up to huge overboost but only fuelling for the expected level. But that was a 200HP (when running normally) 16V turbo engine.

Yesterday and today, I actually DROVE the Vitesse for the first time.  I got the road tax and insurance all sorted so out on the road I went.  I had not driven the car prior to buying it, and in fact I had never, driven any Triumph in my life!  But I wasn’t born yesterday and I knew that I was getting into a 55-year-old car which was built on technology from the 1950s.  I have a modern car as my daily driver, but I also have a 1980 car and a 1983 car, so I was expecting a few knocks, some whirring, clackety clickities, and the odd rumble.  

I got what I expected.  As I drove, I was very mindful of the fact that it has just been rebuilt, so I was driving very gently.  My round trip was about 17 miles yesterday and about 26 today.  The car drove quite nicely.  Allowing for the fact that it is a convertible with what might be described as a “flimsy” convertible top, there were the expected “whistles“ and air/wind sounds, that you would reasonably expect.  

Aside from the expected, there were a few sounds that I wondered about.  

There was a general “whine” from the rear area.  Now, before everyone starts with horrible death trap stories, I need to remind you that this is a NEWLY rebuilt car.  Could the whine be normal, but I am not yet used to it?  I am guessing it’s probably normal, and actually it seemed less noticeable today.  I dunno if I am getting used to it or if it is going away as more miles are put on the car.  

There was also a recurring “whom, whom, whom” which came from the back area. I figured it was consistent with the revolution of the wheels.  The faster I drove, the faster the noise became.   If there was a bend to the right, the sound went away.  Going straight it was there and on a left bend, it was louder.  It was there regardless of whether I was accelerating or coasting in neutral.  I lightly pressed the brake pedal thinking that it might be a loose brake shoe, but the sound remained.  It seemed to be on the passenger side rear area, but I couldn’t be sure.  Is this sound normal?  I would guess that this is not normal.  But what could it be? When I got home, I jacked up the passenger side rear, and looked for signs of anything rubbing against the wheel.  Nothing!  I spun the wheel, but there was no unusual sound.  I took the wheel off.  There was nothing to be seen.  So Guys, before your comments, please remember that it is a recently rebuilt car, with almost no miles on it, so maybe I need to allow for all that, and drive it for a few hundred miles, to let everything settle in, before I get too concerned. But still, I’d be interested in your thoughts.

A few noises are to be expected. In particular, a bit of whine from the diff is quite normal.

However, the "whom whom whom" isn't normal, and the fact that it changes with the bend suggests wheel or half shaft. It very much depends what sort of "whom" - I had a noise on a Mk1 Vitesse that could fall into that (at the time it reminded me of the Enterprise's warp drive) which turned out to be wheel bearing failure.

does sound like a N/S wheel bearing   as it is more pronounced hanging Right which adds load to the N/S

if you apply some brake does it reduce ???     which may point  to  the front   

at the rear there is hub bearing and diff output shaft bearings   

the output shfta are easy removal ( not so easy to swap a bearing) but these short shafts take all the side thrust 

just an idea

Pete

20 hours ago, micmak said:

Yesterday and today, I actually DROVE the Vitesse for the first time.  I got the road tax and insurance all sorted so out on the road I went.  I had not driven the car prior to buying it, and in fact I had never, driven any Triumph in my life!  But I wasn’t born yesterday and I knew that I was getting into a 55-year-old car which was built on technology from the 1950s.  I have a modern car as my daily driver, but I also have a 1980 car and a 1983 car, so I was expecting a few knocks, some whirring, clackety clickities, and the odd rumble.  

I got what I expected.  As I drove, I was very mindful of the fact that it has just been rebuilt, so I was driving very gently.  My round trip was about 17 miles yesterday and about 26 today.  The car drove quite nicely.  Allowing for the fact that it is a convertible with what might be described as a “flimsy” convertible top, there were the expected “whistles“ and air/wind sounds, that you would reasonably expect.  

Aside from the expected, there were a few sounds that I wondered about.  

There was a general “whine” from the rear area.  Now, before everyone starts with horrible death trap stories, I need to remind you that this is a NEWLY rebuilt car.  Could the whine be normal, but I am not yet used to it?  I am guessing it’s probably normal, and actually it seemed less noticeable today.  I dunno if I am getting used to it or if it is going away as more miles are put on the car.  

There was also a recurring “whom, whom, whom” which came from the back area. I figured it was consistent with the revolution of the wheels.  The faster I drove, the faster the noise became.   If there was a bend to the right, the sound went away.  Going straight it was there and on a left bend, it was louder.  It was there regardless of whether I was accelerating or coasting in neutral.  I lightly pressed the brake pedal thinking that it might be a loose brake shoe, but the sound remained.  It seemed to be on the passenger side rear area, but I couldn’t be sure.  Is this sound normal?  I would guess that this is not normal.  But what could it be? When I got home, I jacked up the passenger side rear, and looked for signs of anything rubbing against the wheel.  Nothing!  I spun the wheel, but there was no unusual sound.  I took the wheel off.  There was nothing to be seen.  So Guys, before your comments, please remember that it is a recently rebuilt car, with almost no miles on it, so maybe I need to allow for all that, and drive it for a few hundred miles, to let everything settle in, before I get too concerned. But still, I’d be interested in your thoughts.

Firstly, a totally rebuilt car may not mean that everything on it was totally rebuilt. The whine is most likely the differential, but my gearbox whines in all but top gear. The 'Whom Whom' is, probably, related to wheel rotation. It could be a wheel or differential bearing. Ideally, you need to put it on a rolling road with somebody watching it underneath.

As a young man, I watched it whilst a trusted 'Mate' sat in the driving seat with the rear on stands. It did not get under it, just watched from the rear bumper zone lying on my back.

My 1600/6 always made a noise similar to yours. I could not hear it above a radio and it stayed the same for over 100k miles.

Sometimes, bearings can be damaged during assembly by people using hammers. This can 'Brunel' the bearing races. The stationary part of a ball race will grumble constantly and worsen when turning right or left. This usually worsens over about 10k miles until it is unbearable. The rotating part will grumble once every revolution and worsen more slowly than the fixed one.

U/J's can make odd noises too, but this usually changes with loading. Easily diagnosed by foot on then off the loud pedal.