Vitesse price

micmak

3 minutes ago, Pimp my Vit said:

I also fitted a set of minilites, don't be put off by the purists telling you they are not standard, they are period and back in the day we all wanted a set.

My 13/60 convertible came with a set fitted plus the steels in the boot. I went back to standard as I prefer the look. Don't rush into changing the wheels, drive the car, look at it and photos of cars with the Minilites then decide. If it is of any help I have Accuspark fitted since 2015 without any problems.

41 minutes ago, micmak said:

IMG_4570.jpeg

Very nice. No overdrive but I personally dont miss it in my Vitesse (I would have thought its even less of a benefit in a convertible) but might change my diff ratio at some stage to lower the revs when cruising....

They can suffer from overheating especially in traffic on hot days so your cooling system needs to be as good as possible.

1 hour ago, micmak said:

We agreed on a price to do the build, and he asked for money to buy materials.  I gave him €4½K

As you learned the hard way, never do that. A reputable builder will never ask for money in advance, only staged payment for work completed so far.

1 hour ago, micmak said:

It’s a 68 Vitesse, and I have seen write ups saying that changing to electronic ignition is best.  Others say no, that all you need is a good set of points not cheapies, and you will be ok.  Any thoughts on this?

My '67 Vitesse is running points, as the previous owner had taken the Lumenition off, presumably due to it failing. It's the only one of my three that is on points, and it's consistently the easiest to start and smoothest running. Go figure.

Also, it's back on a mechanical fuel pump, because I had no end of trouble when running on an electric one.

its most important you spend some time driving and getting to know your car before you jump into any changes 

learn its foibles and any antics , they do sit out in the cold and listen to you talking about them and then they are out to get you 

so drive it , get the smile   make a list of wishes thoughts and avoid any Must Haves 

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johny said:

No overdrive but I personally dont miss it in my Vitesse

I definitely missed it when I had a Vitesse as my only car. Best upgrade I ever did. But if you only ever potter around on minor roads or in town, then you don't need it.

1 hour ago, johny said:

They can suffer from overheating especially in traffic on hot days

I've had two Vitesses (both 2L Mk1s) and the only overheating I've ever had with either (apart from when there was a crack in the block and the coolant was all leaking out) was a 4 hour traffic jam on the M25 on the hottest day ever.

Oh, and when I temporarily had a Herald fuel pump on it because the proper one was missing, but that was fuel vapourisation - the coolant temperature remained fine.

55 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I definitely missed it when I had a Vitesse as my only car. Best upgrade I ever did. But if you only ever potter around on minor roads or in town, then you don't need it.

I've had two Vitesses (both 2L Mk1s) and the only overheating I've ever had with either (apart from when there was a crack in the block and the coolant was all leaking out) was a 4 hour traffic jam on the M25 on the hottest day ever.

Oh, and when I temporarily had a Herald fuel pump on it because the proper one was missing, but that was fuel vapourisation - the coolant temperature remained fine.

Yes I admit I like 50 - 60mph max so in my Vit find wind noise more intrusive than engine. Well done on having your cooling systems in such great condition👍

This is great Guys.  Thank you.  I think Pete Lewis is right;  I will get the car, drive it, and get a feel for it, before I start changing anything.   I’m impressed by the Vitessesteve site.  Lots of info there.  I am unable to download the Vitesse 2 litre PDF.  Is that a problem at my end or is there something at the website that is stopping me?  I got a copy of the carb tuning PDF.  Very handy to have.  

Fantastic!  I am enjoying this already and I don’t even have the car yet!  Thanks Everyone.

The PDF of the manual should download ok it certainly did for me. Otherwise it might be available elsewhere online.

Really useful although some of the photos are very dark (they are even in the paper version) and it makes great bedtime reading😁 Its best to try to get your answers from it first and then if you have any queries or doubts ask as there are shortcuts to some jobs and also I think there are a couple of misleading errors in the manual...

Hi Guys, ok on to my next series of questions!  I’ve been casually looking at minilites online.  I am not going to run out tomorrow to buy a set — I’ll wait until I get the car and drive it for a while first.  I’m just getting an idea of price and availability.  I was confused by the details on the web page below.  There are several 13x5 wheels.  Can anyone tell me which one is best suited to the Vitesse, and why? How do you decipher these different dimensions:   https://www.johnbrownwheels.com/tyres/13-alloys

I clicked on one of these wheels and these are the technical specs.  What is Fitment, Offset, Poke, Backspace etc.

Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 6.31.25 p.m..png

Just beware I think with a 5.5in wide wheel you have to use a 165 or larger width tyre.

We have 5.5in wide by 13in dia Minilite replica's on the daughter's Mk2 Spit and I've always used 165/75/13 Michelin tyres, why Michelin as I get them free, but there NLA/made. I don't want to go 175, as I think there too wide, and 155 are to narrow for the 5.5in rim, so I might have to buy some other brand that hurts!!!! I haven't brought a tyre for any of our 3 classics plus daily drivers in 20 years? Reality is going to bite I think.

the head casting holds years of lead memory and unless you recut the valve seats will do thousands of miles with unleaded pertol 

you are best  to use E5  97+ ron fule as these were designed to run on 99/100  super of the day and for optimum performance use as close to the orig as possible 

to run on 95 you need to retard the timing loose pwer and run hotter ( whilst fuels have changed over the years 95 **  was for side valves and lawn mowers )

i would avoid bying any must have addatives that do more for emptying the wallet than any help to the engne 

use a best grade you can get use the saving to  drive with a smile 

Pete

• Like 1

On a cost basis, I saw a recent article, which claimed the E10 was actually giving as much as 2% less MPG than E5 (super). Even with the price difference of up to 10p/litre in some places, the extra cost of "Super" in terms of Miles/£  is closer than some would have us believe?. Add the cost of "additives" and it could even be a race of equals?.

Might stand further investigation?.

Pete