Vitesse price

micmak

yes Im sure it exists but we just dont see much of it on here

its not a problem to get paranoid about it 

we have a good few Not  a real Problem  problems we could start a book  

Im still waiting for the effects of E10 to disolve the cars overnight ,(when we should be using E5 )  and must stop the millenioun clock in the 2000 

before the world ends   Ha !!

Pete

53 minutes ago, johny said:

My mk1 2L suffered rapid closing of some exhaust valve tappet clearances after driving on the continent with badly leaking carb spindles (one worse than the other).

Probably running weak and at high load, which is the same conditions that caused VSR on my Toledo.

• Like 1

Hi Folks, well I got the Vitesse on Friday evening.  I had a busy weekend, so today was the first chance I had to take a closer look at it.  It really IS a little beauty.  I am attaching some pics of it when up on a ramp before I got it home on Friday.  Also, I am attaching a little “report” that the previous owner compiled.  This is as close to a new car as you can get, as far as I can see.  There is a TON of paperwork with the car including lots and lots of receipts and a workshop manual, and even an owners handbook.  

IMG_5068.jpeg

IMG_5069.jpeg

IMG_5070.jpeg

IMG_5071 2.jpeg

IMG_5076.jpeg

IMG_5104.jpeg

Looks very nice. I see its fitted with new EBC Greenstuff pads which many on here, myself included, have found to be very poor probably because the pad material is intended for more modern vehicles. As stated in your notes they do need miles to bed in but if you still find them inadequate Mintex M1144 have a very good reputation...

Looks immaculate, nice colour too! I see it's fitted with a stainless exhaust system, which from what I can see in the pics looks like the correct pattern for a 2L Mk1. No criticism implied, but the rear silencer appears to be fitted 90 deg to normal? If so, surely, the tailpipe is poking out, at a funny angle. Or is it a non-standard box?

8 minutes ago, trigolf said:

I see it's fitted with a stainless exhaust system, which from what I can see in the pics looks like the correct pattern for a 2L Mk1.

Actually it looks "not quite right" to me. It has the centre silencer but it appears to be further back than it should be, and the rear part of the exhaust then all sits too far to the right.

Congratulations!

It looks to have been restored to a good standard with a lot of sensible upgrades.

Looking at the write up, don't forget to oil those Trunnions with EP90 Gear oil before you go out in the car and get the tracking checked and adjusted

Also, be sure to check for any loose bolts on the Suspension/Steering and an Oil and filter change after 500 miles, with a re-torque of the cylinder head would be prudent too

Good luck and Enjoy.

Gary

Thanks for the comments Folks.  There is no jack in the car.  The seller says it didn’t have one when he got it.  So what do you guys have as a jack?  A traditional cheapie scissor jack, or something more substantial?  I have my trolley jack in the garage, but I am not too comfortable driving around with no jack in the car.

He did a full service before he sold the car to me.  I asked him about the trunions.  He said that he hadn’t oiled them, but they would be ok until the first oil change in about 1,000kms.  Just for peace of mind, I might do them myself.  It would be good to get familiar with such things anyway.  Johny, can you elaborate a little on your syringe and tube solution, please?

As for the exhaust on the car, I have no idea if it is correct or not, but I did notice that it hangs rather lower than I would have expected.  I will play with that and try to get it a little higher.

Also he did the tracking when he was doing the overall service.

I have a sissor jack in the car but do carry folding axle stands as well for any roadside work.

For the trunnions I get the front wheels off the ground and check the grease nipple sealing ball is clean and free  (you can push it in with a piece of wire). Then I suck up some gearbox oil in a large plastic syringe and squirt it in using a flexible pipe. This does require a fairly low resistance and Ive had no problem but I know some people remove the grease nipple and then pump the oil in sometimes with an oil squirt can...  

I have a 2t, small trolley jack (Lidle I think) in an ABS case. Might be just the thing? Most Vitesse, could do with a bit of "Rear Mass". Back in the 80`s I kept 1Cwt (50-kg in new money) of bagged sand in the boot of Her Indoors "comuter" Vitesse!. It helped stop her backend stepping out when her lead foot hit the loud pedal.😁 On the Frimley 8-30am Grand Prix.

Pete

tracking      the spec for vitesse is 150lbs on each seat to set the staic ride height 

you dont need anything super  have a read of 

and  a trolley jack would work but you have to lift in the centre of the diff /engine  Xmember to get the height to allow entry 

and add a good bit of timeber to stop jack sink on soft ground 

then ask when ddi you last get a puncture    Pete

I salvaged a semi scissor jack from one of my German cars when it was scrapped. It is very sturdy and has a cup that will fit over the bolt heads on my Vitesse. It is very capable and has a folding handle. Good enough for a roadside wheel change. I wind it gently between the fuel tank and the rear boot floor lip so that it does not rattle. I use a trolley jack and axle stands at home.

Strangely, some cars with Run Flat tyres do not have a jack or a spare wheel. I added both to my modern.

You have a very nice car. The exhaust is hanging just as mine does. You will struggle to get it much higher.

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

there should be a strap in the boot floor rh side  where you loop over the scissor and wind it up the trap the hack in its strap loop 

Pete

Would this also apply to the 13/60? If so do you have a photo, please, as mine doesn't have any type of fixing.

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

I used to put my spare wheel(s) in upside down, and drop a jack inside the wheel?.

Pete

Can't do that with my 13/60 as there is a bolt that goes through one of the wheel stud holes so it can be fixed in place to stop it being thrown up in case of a rear impact.