Dòor hinges

Pdv

Has anybody refurbished the hinges on our cars ie ďilled our and fitted oversized pins, the pins for sale are original size so would have to cut new ones from steel rod.

Want to do mine, a Herald, and was thinking that whilst doing it I would drill a hole to fit a tapered grease nipple, tapered rather than tap a thread.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

I recently replaced the pins on a couple of hinges. I pressed and belted the old pins out and pressed in standard sized replacement pins. In my case most of the wear was to the old pins and not the two parts of the hinge. There was no ovaling or obvious wear to the actual hinge parts. There is minimal play in the refurbed hinges, but now the doors are back on the car it's difficult feel. I suppose it depends on where the hinges are worn and how badly, which determines weather you can get away with just replacing the pins, like in my case,  or need the hinges machining and oversized pins fitted.

Passenger door on the 13/60. had a "headache", Drilled out the holes and fitted O/S pins cut from Stubb`s steel, I`ve had since the 60`s. Quite simple and no real engineering feat, vastly improved the door fit. Used to do this regularly on Mini`s with the external hinges back when.

Pete 

36 minutes ago, Josef said:

Getting the pins out is a job for a shop press, but they hopefully won’t put up too much of a fight. 

I replaced the pins on the 1200 a few years back, In-Laws removed and fitted them for me using their machinery, and the hinges have been great ever since. Couldn't have done it easily by myself.

way back we drilled oversive  and fitted oversived pins   cant think where from but pushed out the old with a vice and redrilled with a small pillar drill 

it might even have been a cut down long shank bolt    but too many years ago now !!!

does need   accurate sizing or you could end up with more play than you started with 

Pete 

• Like 1