Resale colours

Sws999

•  
  •  

•  

I’m in the process of buying my first TR6 and I’ve narrowed my choices down to three. A red, blue, and white one. What do you all think would be the easiest one to sell in the future when I eventually come to move on? Or I pop my clogs and my daughters have to sell it. 
SWS 

Thanks for a really rude reply. Very helpful. Your assumption that all I care about is the colour just shows what type of character you are. 
I have just joined this group after joining the TR Register forum where I have had some very helpful responses. If this is what I can expect from this group I will immediately leave. Let’s just hope that you are number one in a field of one. I will give the forum the benefit of doubt for now. 

• Like 1

Sws,

If you expect us to advise you on your choice between three vehicles based only on their colour, you ignore our hard won knowledge of cars.    It is the many experts on this site and I,  who are insulted.

Tell us about the cars, and maybe we can help you, but red, blue or white?   Sur, it is you who insult us, by asking such a shallow question.

John

The three cars are pretty similar in cost, body work and mechanics. Obviously there are some differences but I’d be happy with any of them. I’ve looked at about a dozen now, always in great detail and always on a ramp. I’ve been studying TR6s for about a year after having Porsches for many years , but now I’m having trouble getting in and out of  them.  The reason I’m asking is that some of the cars I’ve been looking at have been on sale for quite some time. 
Anyway, thanks for a sensible reply. 
SWS 

as everyone has there own preference for a car colour  there will always be a peculiar mix of results 

the colour should be what you like not what the members  decide  , i do wonder  why  you are dreaming of selling it before you have bought a car 

if you fall in love with the car it has to be a colour you like  if you buy to sell on or leave in your estate then the colour is less important 

some like red some like yellow and some actualy like brown    they all sell well 

Pete

16 minutes ago, Sws999 said:

The three cars are pretty similar in cost, body work and mechanics. Obviously there are some differences but I’d be happy with any of them. I’ve looked at about a dozen now, always in great detail and always on a ramp. I’ve been studying TR6s for about a year after having Porsches for many years , but now I’m having trouble getting in and out of  them.  The reason I’m asking is that some of the cars I’ve been looking at have been on sale for quite some time. 
Anyway, thanks for a sensible reply. 
SWS 

Then it all comes down to personal taste. You could keep it safe - go for red, red always sells - or stand out from all the red ones, go for white. Blue depends on the shade, light or dark, but in the end comes down to the individual car; I like blue with tan interior, but black isn't as appealing to me personally. (Apologies to all blue Triumph owners!!) Each car will have its' own merits, you just need to decide if you want to stand out from the crowd or not. I've probably, in my time, seen one in each of your colours that I'd love to own.

BTW I've also seen some lovely wallpaper in my time, too.

DSC_0011.thumb.JPG.8b4f15c8b7c0b50fc15fbf64f46612d4.JPG  DSC_0012.thumb.JPG.59222e440711fdbd6acafe27e7511b95.JPG

Dougbgt6, that’s the sort of response I’d expect. Thanks.  From what you’ve said it’s red ones which are easiest to sell. One dealer I went to in Bristol told me that red, blue or Green sell the easiest. Magenta can take a while and brown can take years. Although I’m not intending to sell any car I get soon , as I’ve said, all the three cars are very similar apart from the colour, so it would be a bit short sighted of me not to take into account the relative ease of selling in the, hopefully,  distant future.  Although you don’t know me, I am in my mid 70s so it’s not as if I have 20 or 30 years left to me driving. 
Thanks for your input. 
sws

Once again, accused, condemned and sentenced by a TSSC/ NKVD secret court.  In this case for "Inappropriate language".  In replying to SWS.

I have receive a critical message from "a moderator", and penalty points.  These will not expire in two years as those for the Malvern dispute will but are everlasting!  My posts have been removed so how can I defend myself?  I can't anyway, as this is in the hands of a single officer of the NKVD/TSSC, but I used no 'language' if that means swearing.   I was critical of someone who valued the technical expertise of the many gurus here, among whom I am a humble apprentice, so little as to ask which colour car he should buy. 

The TSSC does not like strong opinions.    But among adults those are not "Inappropriate language".

John

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KevinR said:

The GT6 is not a Sports Car, its a "Grand Tourer", the clue is in the name !

Kevin,

You are having a giraffe! The GT6 a Grand Tourer?!! I did 80 miles to Duxford and sat in a chair for 2 hours to recover. The Grande Turismo may have been sold as such, but, it ain't!  

Doug

My initial post was as to which of the three colours were of the most commercial  with regards to the resale popularity. I’m actually going to go with the white one but I just wanted to hear the forum’s thoughts on colour with TR6s. I appreciate all of the comments recd, barring one, and the opportunity to explain why I wanted to know without being judged prematurely on whether or not my knowledge was “up to the level of the self styled experts”. 

Thank you all and I will be happy to continue with this membership and as soon as I take ownership of my new car I will post some pix and info. 
If anyone from this neck of the woods would like to contact me I would be more than pleased. 

• Like 2

Oddly I know several TR6 owners, and the nearest to a red one is Damson. White, royal (dark) blue,green. But no red. 

I think people are over the "sports cars should be red" thing. And yes, avoid brown, a very aquired choice. Saffron/magenta not everybodies cuppa either. But either of the 3 colours you are looking at should be acceptable to most buyers. Afraid I cannot help beyond that. 

• Like 1

Course its all academic really because you'll probably pay more for the 'right' colour now and hopefully just recover this extra later when the cars sold! However I know colour fashions can change over time so if you feel lucky you could buy an unpopular colour now which then becomes sought after in a few years and you can cash in👍

1 hour ago, clive said:

Oddly I know several TR6 owners, and the nearest to a red one is Damson. White, royal (dark) blue,green. But no red. 

I think people are over the "sports cars should be red" thing. And yes, avoid brown, a very aquired choice. Saffron/magenta not everybodies cuppa either. But either of the 3 colours you are looking at should be acceptable to most buyers. Afraid I cannot help beyond that. 

I’ve got a red one!

One day you may get to drive it if you are lucky and don’t mind a lingering afterthought of  “eau de unburnt hydrocarbon”

Damson looks good, white needs to have a black interior, blue or red looks wrong,

Dark blue looks good as well. 

Very fresh magenta is different. Less so as it ages.

And final bit of advise for SWS, avoid chrome wire wheels unless you are a masochist with a fetish for polishing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clive said:

I think people are over the "sports cars should be red" thing. And yes, avoid brown, a very aquired choice. 

That's not fair!! Brown cars need love too. They may be slightly cheaper, for some reason... :) Remember the member who had the 2000 in 'Gusset Brown' a few years back?

Re Colin's post above, white looks very well with tan interior too.

14 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's not fair!! Brown cars need love too. They may be slightly cheaper, for some reason... :) Remember the member who had the 2000 in 'Gusset Brown' a few years back?

Re Colin's post above, white looks very well with tan interior too.

Brown cars need respraying (personal opinion) My spitfire bodytub was brown. Zero appeal to me, or indeed anybody I know. I am sure there are some people who lke brown cars though.

I agree with Colin. A white TR6 must have a black interior. Tan is ok on white herald etc, but a TR6 is a different kettle of fish, and needs the strong contrast. 

Aologies to Colin, I have yet to see his TR6. And I forgot Mr Helms red TR6. If I were to buy one (very low chance) I would go white by choice. But availability/condition/value would be bigger infuences. Still no brown, or indeed beige.