To Resist(or) or not to Resist.......

ludwig113

Ok, I know i'm going to open a can of worms here but it has to be asked.

GT6 mk3 1972

I'm starting out with all new wiring and electrical componants, so do i go with a Ballast Resistor or just a Resistance Wire loom...

Are there any advantages to either one? or dis-advantages?

cheers paul

Ford. Used the Resistive wire a lot, and it was a frequent fail fault, to the extent that I by-passed them every time I had a different car wether working or not!. Could never understand the "philosophy of thinking" behind it.?

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ludwig113 said:

it can always be bypassed to fit an electronic ignition

There's no need to bypass it. Electronic ignition works absolutely fine with ballasted coils, as long as you wire the EI supply to the right place. The only type that doesn't want it would be a programmed ignition with variable (closed loop) dwell, for which a quite specific coil is needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

There's no need to bypass it. Electronic ignition works absolutely fine with ballasted coils, as long as you wire the EI supply to the right place. The only type that doesn't want it would be a programmed ignition with variable (closed loop) dwell, for which a quite specific coil is needed.

thanks for the extra info.

Don't know if this helps copies of my 2 used systems for my Trumps showing the Manufacturers Wiring Diagrams for Ballast Resistor using Accuspark and Luminition Magnetronic Electronic Ignition, offtake for their systems is from the 12v Ignition before the Ballast

AccuSpark Wiring, with Ballast Ignition.jpg

Luminition Magnetronic Wiring.jpg

• Like 1

from some years back the modules would run 6 - 18v  and with a poor battery state and a ballast feed would often drop below the 6v threshold 

and things didnt work well  with misfires and non starts     hence the need to jump the module feed to a 12v source which they all seem to advise in beneral 

ive not looked at current requirements 

Pete

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

hence the need to jump the module feed to a 12v source

Think the other way round. Like the Lumenition page that Peter posted says "red wire can be connected to coil positive if". That's a lazy man's shortcut - the fundamental requirement is that the EI supply feed is from a good 12V source. On some applications (those without ballast and without current-sensed tacho) the coil positive is also connected to a good 12V source, so you can, under those conditions, use that. But that's the "jumped" alternative - a direct connection to the ignition switch is the fundamental requirement.

52 minutes ago, Gully said:

In Peter Truman's first diagram, I'm confused by the 12v 1.5 ohm coil after the ballast resistor - would have thought it would be 6v 1.5 ohm?

Thanks,

Gully

I think the manufacturer is saying it is for a 12V car that also has a ballast resistor. All very confusing, but maybe a lot of people don't understand the 6v coil thing?