Bought an Eezibleed

Steve P

15 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Bought an Eezibleed after a recommendation,i have been struggling to bleed my Heralds rebuilt braking on my own and...the cap options don`t include one to fit mine.

(Vitesse Master cylinder).Anyone need an Eezibleed for their non Triumph?.

S

I may have a suitable lid (oe lids) amongst my stuff. What type do you need?

But I should add that I usually just open the bleed nipples (with tube attached to all 4) and let them bleed by gravity.

25 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Never tried that Clive. How long does it take, if say, changing the fluid. I guess you would have to hang around to chec the MC level doesn't get too low and to keep topping up?  

10 mins? I don't open them up very much and yes, you need to keep an eye on the MC level. 

19 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Thanks. Wow, thats quick. Will give a go

Don't use a stopwatch, I am only guessing! 

What I have found is that using some clear tubing and a bit of copper tube in the end to weigh it down is helpful. For some reason the bleed tube is always curly and never seems to hang in the right place. I think my tube is washer tubing, pushed into some 1/4" fuel pipe at the nipple end, and about a foot of copper brake pipe at the other. 4 of those and an easy job, or do 1 or 2 at a time. 

As mentioned it has a Vitesse master so larger than the spares that came with it,glad it was only £20. Might try and improvise somehow.

So after reading the instructions, it just pumps fluid with air from a tyre and constantly tops up from the bottle with fresh fluid in?. So topping up the MC not needed?.

S

If your using the Ezibleed, reduce the tyre pressure to about 15-20psi. Too much pressure will result in fluid leaks! It works fine if you follow the instructions properly. I also discovered the kit of caps didn't have one suitable for the Vit. I modified an old MC cap to fit. 

4 hours ago, Steve P said:

As mentioned it has a Vitesse master so larger than the spares that came with it,glad it was only £20. Might try and improvise somehow.

So after reading the instructions, it just pumps fluid with air from a tyre and constantly tops up from the bottle with fresh fluid in?. So topping up the MC not needed?.

S

That is correct.

Is yours an all alloy MC? 

Thanks UK, new one delivered this morning, quality looks pretty good so i will compare it with the original one, I am a bit loathed to drill the original so I will probably use the new one for the Bleeder, car is in a lockup so i will check it later today,.

Steve

I do like an eezibleed, but definitely test with the pressure you are going to be using first before adding brake fluid to the reservoir. Getting a seal on to the master cylinder depends on the cylinder and cap, and if you don’t get a good seal you will make a real mess regardless of fluid type!

Never remove the air line from the wheel while there is pressure and some brake fluid in the system, brake fluid will spray out of the airline. Happened to me but fortunately silicone brake fluid but still messy to clear up.

Always found it difficult to get an airtight seal on the unit, so as said above check before adding brake fluid.

Regards

Paul 

Steve, you might find you will need extra fibre washers or O ring to get good seal on the pipe connector that you fit to your drilled cap. IIRC it's because the Girling cap is slightly convex shape and the Gunson lids are flat top, so easier to seal. As already mentioned- pressurise first without fluid and check for air leaks!

I decided to use the old cap to drill as the new one looked better and fits perfectly, there is a dimple in the centre of the cap with an air hole in it, I drilled just off centre and fitted the pipe there, it has 2 copper washers either side of the cap and nut, I will try it to make sure it seals. I sealed the air hole with mastic.

When I visited to lockup to get the old cap off I noticed the master cylinder was empty, a week ago when I adjusted the handbrake cable and put the drum back on I filled the MC up. Bugger, where that has gone I will have to investigate, I suspect the rear wheel cylinder might be leaking as I stupidly pumped the pedal not realising I still had the drum off and the cylinder piston popped out of the body. Pushed it back with swan neck grips.

Steve

Trust it all goes  well, Steve.

Had a review of my My Eezi-bleed parts - various bits acquired over a few years.

The “original”kit  ( they were cheaper then  … £4.50! ) came with  a “multipurpose” top ( up to 67 mm dia .) with a strap arrangement to hold it on and have a few others and the original instructions.. “ plus details of how to get other sizes FREE”

F2C89A45-202B-4045-B086-231C543C9450.thumb.jpeg.7d70245d258037dc6431a670a2cd95bd.jpeg10EEDBC1-4065-48E9-9460-B02BB09DC5DA.thumb.jpeg.8496fbbf344a2096ff71a8b8d1a3e62e.jpegFEFE682D-E591-4F76-A50A-35650FFD6F66.thumb.jpeg.921b3621840988887a7d556110371829.jpeg

Gunson still sell an updated version of their multipurpose cap. However some users report that its hard to get a good seal. So modifying an original Girling cap is prob still the best solution? What's puzzling is why Gunson didn't do a suitable size cap in their kit years ago? After all, there must have been loads of BL cars etc that used the same size Master Cylinder?