Reversing lights warning light

Jeffds1360

I have fitted a reversing light (and a warning light) which is operated via a relay and just had a thought.....not easy these days ;)

The warning light will tell me that the relay has power BUT.... do I need another warning light to show the actual light has power?

If, for example, the bulb blows, the warning light will be on but the reversing light may not be.

I know I can go and look but my befuddled mind tells me the warning light should only be on when the reversing light is on. Am I over thinking??

a failed bulb would be obvious when reverse is engaged, I do a regular check of all my lights incl brake and reverse by testing with ignition on to see if they show against the garage door. Your existing tell tale is a good idea for the comfort of following drivers some reverse lights can be high wattage. 

Thanks guys, I manually installed a switch as the 13/60 does not have a reversing light as standard. I could have rigged one up on the g'box I suppose, but just went for a manual switch on the dash which feeds the relay. It has its own built in light when on.

I suppose I could also put a warning light on the feed from relay to the r'light. 

Is that right, as Danny says, just to put it in series? Does that not reduce power to the actual r'light?

Should it not be in parallel?

No, parallel and the warning light would still come on even if the reversing light was blown.  How about having two reversing lights, like Spits and GT6s, unlikely both will blow while driving and one blown can be seen when you do your periodic light check.

Doug

You only need a warning light in parallel to show that the reversing light is on so you do not annoy others by dazzling a following car.  If the bulb fails you will soon realise when you try reversing in the dark and cannot see where you are going.  Placing a warning light in series will severely affect the light output of the reversing light unless you incorporate some electronics to detect the voltage drop due to current flow to the bulb.

4 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Am I over thinking??

Yes

59 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Mmmmm. I thought ( :) ) the 'regulations ' stated a warning light was compulsory?

I've never seen a car with a reversing light warning light. Fogs, yes, that's a requirement... but it's a requirement to warn the driver that they're turned on. There's no requirement to warn if the bulbs are blown.

My modern's reversing lights don't work. At first they were intermittent. I knew perfectly well when they were working and when they weren't, without any need of a repeater light, as GrahamB said.

this is solved by the many who just dont do backwards  

as for any warning seems if its automatic switched from the gearbox its not of much use  but if you have driver controlled switch then 

you need a warning to remind you forgot to switch it off    would make a sensible result   ???

Pete

o, if it is not automatically operated by the gearbox, then, like mine

(b) Any other motor vehicle first used on or after 1st July 1954:

A circuit-closed tell-tale shall be fitted

So ! circuit closed means to the r'light itself, NOT to the relay.

Mine is therefore wrong as it only confirms the relay is live and............under some possible 'short circuit' malfunction, the r'light could be on without a telltale!

I need to fit another warning/telltale light into the relay to r'light circuit as I originally perceived.

Do I not ?

41 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

circuit closed means to the r'light itself, NOT to the relay.

No, I believe you are misreading the rule. They are mandating a tell-tale that the switching circuit is closed - which yours does. The fact that the rule ONLY APPLIES to MANUAL SWITCHES shows that the intent is to alert the driver to his own mistake. It is NOT intended as an onboard diagnostic for the vehicle electrical system.

You could fit one of those towing current sensing relays that caravanners use. It beeps when indicating, so would beep only if the reversing light was drawing current. You would, definitely, want to turn it off. The 'Squawking' during my caravanning days drove me nuts.

:)

yes. It was fitted only as a reminder to switch it off and is located so I bump it with my fingers when going into first. I also have just fitted a damn annoying american woman, now lying in the boot who says 'attention please, this car is backing up' wired to the r'light so I am doubly covered now :)