Classic parking

Puglet1

Now that we have the Vitesse, we are wondering if it’s generally safe to park overnight when staying away from home?

Are they generally on a thief list or does it need to be parked off road in a secure place?

What if any precautions do you take?

Pete

I've parked my gt6 on the road for 18 years. I've a battery disconnect, + cut outs, I remove the rotor arm, steering and hand brake locks, plus loud alarm if the car were to be knocked lifted etc. I've always done this, but now the values of all Triumphs have gone up, I think you need to be cautious. Nothing worse than seeing a space where your car should be, scratching your head wondering if you had parked it somewhere else. Had a motor bike stolen a few years ago, and a couple of cars probably 30 years ago, so maybe Iam just paranoid. 

With Peter James, the agreed value dictates how secure your night-time parking arrangements need to be. From recollection, anything over £15k needs to be garaged at night and you won't be insured after 10pm if you are within half a mile of your registered address and it's not in the garage.

Out and about (pubs, friends houses) I simply use a disk-lok. If your car is going to be left unsecured all the time, it might be worth considering a remote battery isolator switch. However, nothing will stop mindless vandalism, or the more organised tow away / flatbed lift.

Gully

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Paul H said:

I use a visual deterrent with a steering lock bar , plus a led flashing away , discrete switch to operate .

Paul 

This is my method. I don’t always lock the doors and leave nothing of value in he car. Only in the boot. 

7 hours ago, Gully said:

With Peter James, the agreed value dictates how secure your night-time parking arrangements need to be. From recollection, anything over £15k needs to be garaged at night and you won't be insured after 10pm if you are within half a mile of your registered address and it's not in the garage.

Mine are both valued under that figure and have the same clause. Might be a function of my post code though which is “bad” despite being deep in the countryside. 

Thank you ALL for your input. I will use the steering wheel lock, ignition and battery cut outs, alarm and try to park off road. 
I’ll be mighty peeved if it gets vandalised but I guess it’s a risk that we all have to take.

Pete

25 minutes ago, Paul H said:

If you want more security this alarm is great value and works . It’s a vibration alarm with just 2 connections and I think 5 levels of sensitivity . I fitted mine in the drivers bulkhead .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165530859542?

Great price as well

Paul 

Hi Paul. I’ll order one now👍

Many thanks.

Pete 

I stopped using my old steering lock because it was scratching the spokes of the steering wheel, be careful to chose the right one!

I have heard of a classic being collected from a pub car park by a break down truck, no one took any notice until the owner came out the pub looking for his car. East Berks new home has a TV above the bar, no entertainment, but 5 cameras outside the pub. 

Doug

On my TR6 I have a battery isolator and a steering wheel lock. However, it has an original petrol tank cap which is not lockable. Leaving it anywhere frightens the heebie-geebies out of me. So a lockable version is high on my list. I agree with Colin, the greater risk is from vandalism rather than theft.