Remote bleed hose for clutch slave cylinder

haggis

Hi all, Looking for a remote clutch bleed pipe thing. Seen it on a few cars, means you don’t have to take the interior out to bleed it. Basically a braided hose you can mount in the engine bay and bleed from there. 
Anyone got a link to one I can buy? 

thanks

hag 

49 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

I would get a flexible pipe, the slave's attached to the bell housing and the bell housing's attached to the engine and the engine moves about. I know two people who've had a pipe go brittle and break.

Doug

My Vitesse clutch pipe is solid and never broken though... 

• Like 1

I only know this as I had a pipe in the loft had too few mounting points. rising mains made it vibrate and eventually...... WOOSH!

I told the lads about my pipe burst and they said "Same thing happens on the clutch master/slave connection"  So I replaced my GT6 master/slave connection with a flexible pipe. Bleeding the clutch on a GT6 isn't the pain it is on a Spitfire. My brother put in a flexible bleed extension pipe.

Doug

6 hours ago, johny said:

maybe it comes down to the pipe metal brittleness or more likely the run of it as it has to be installed to allow relative movement but without waggling around... 

Copper pipe is NOT allowed on Aus Car brakes under ADR (Aus Design Rules) for exactly that reason work hardening and fracture, I brought a set of Automec copper brake pipes to fit on the Vitesse I was advised it would fail the RXC had to switch to steel bundy pipe

On 22/04/2023 at 14:06, Pete Lewis said:

the mostly used for this would help more on the 6 cyl which is a contortion to bleed with the tunnel in place 

I used a longish brake flexi hose witha female end to fit a bleed nipple in  tagged to the baulkhead witha P clip 

That's the approach I took a GT6 front brake hose.  If it helps, a photo:

image.thumb.jpeg.4921ab8a56764a18066640ff30a7fcd3.jpeg

• Like 1

I found it one of the best mods I have done. Never had a problem with copper pipe from Master to slave, I believe there should be a loop in the copper behind rocker cover that takes out the stress. There is no problem with the bleed copper as its attached to the bell housing. 20230126_113035.thumb.jpg.26877cee8b8f1cde033f81099e28c614.jpg20230126_112811.thumb.jpg.8145e7c83fddd084631169c22086c74f.jpg

Great minds and all that!  Did my own just recently, on the Vitesse.

Merlin Motorsport (other suppliers are available, but Merlin are good and quick) made up a length of Aeroquip with suitable connectors (fixed at one end, swivel at the other) and a bracket on the bulkhead.   I've added a length of split rubber hose to prevent abrasion on the bulkhead edge, and as shown it makes bleeding a doddle.  Wish I'd done it years ago!

John

remote clutch slave bleed.jpg

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

Gosh JohnD. Not much under your bonnet is as produced. Guess that's because you raced it. When my car arrived, it had track day numbers in it. There is also a strange non standard engine torque spring on the offside one piece on the engine block, the other on the panel bolted to the chassis. I have a picture somewhere, so will try to find and post it, or take another.

Do you have any pictures or videos of yours racing?

Do I have racing pictures?  Just a few, here's one:

SnettertonRelayraceOct2011.jpg.a4f7aa135a97f92aa992996f8af70482.jpg

And another:

WaterSplash3Sisters29July18.thumb.jpg.26fde54d4b3007d61080cc85a9679b1b.jpg

But a "torque spring" Wagger?   Your pic shows an engine, installed in a Vitesse/GT, that still has the Saloon engine mount attached.     That is part of the front engine plate, and if there is a folded strip of metal between it and the engine valance, where a rubber pad should be, then it certainly isn't providing any torque for the engine to react against as the valance is a flimsy panel.

John

I have had no luck finding out 'Who did it' John. PO's deceased. I am too feeble now even to start my Hayter mower, so have made a list of all to do for my son. I am amazed at the short cuts done with this.

Thanks for thr pictures. Looks like you have had some real fun.

Edited by Wagger

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

But a "torque spring" Wagger?   Your pic shows an engine, installed in a Vitesse/GT, that still has the Saloon engine mount attached.     That is part of the front engine plate, and if there is a folded strip of metal between it and the engine valance, where a rubber pad should be, then it certainly isn't providing any torque for the engine to react against as the valance is a flimsy panel.

Yes the folded metal strip looks like the coolant overflow bottle support. As the bottles not present another location or alternative system must have been found to accomodate system coolant expansion...

Actually, the other side is hideous, but a rubber block and several turns of bungee tie it really tight. As it is, the saloon sump clears the rack by 2mm, and front carb clears bonnet by 2mm. It is a bodge but it is useable. It is beyond my physical capabilities to do any more except minor cosmetics. I did the drive shafts and left front link that was all Herald instead of Vitesse.

If I ever win the lottery, its a body off restoration for son and grandson to take on. They are both petrol heads. I can be the 'Director'.

Sorry to cause thread drift again. Seems to be inevitable.

Edited by Wagger

3 hours ago, johny said:

Yes the folded metal strip looks like the coolant overflow bottle support. As the bottles not present another location or alternative system must have been found to accomodate system coolant expansion...

It is, actually, spring steel. and the panel is pretty thick. However, when I watch it with my son pressing the loud pedal with the brake on tryng to pull away, it is doing nothing. The other mounts are doing their job, miraculously.

Edited by Wagger