Sump plug leak

Iain T

I seem to have developed a small weep from the sump plug. It's not bad just annoying. When I change the oil next can i use something like Permatex 59214 thread sealant to seal? The plug is a correct taper thread magnetic type. I'm not happy tightening any further as I don't want to crack the boss to oil pan welding. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

1 minute ago, Iain T said:

I seem to have developed a small weep from the sump plug. It's not bad just annoying. When I change the oil next can i use something like Permatex thread sealant to seal? The plug is a correct taper thread magnetic type. I'm not happy tightening any further as I don't want to crack the boss to oil pan welding. 

Iain 

I had the same issue and reverted back to the tapered plug 

Paul 

It is a new 'Gold' taper plug. The one that came with the car was very loose and felt like a straight thread with copper washer. I believe the thread should be tapered? 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

If you have time, drain the oil out, leave overnight, then tip the car so that the bung is not the lowest point. Dry the thread thoroughly, maybe wash in petrol first, then generously cover your new tapered plug in Hylomar and refit it. Refill with oil. That has always worked for me except when the sump exit had been cracked by a gorilla.

It is possible that you have the wrong thread on the new "gold" taper plug.

Lots of traders make the same mistake and sell the wrong plug.

Small Chassis triumph cars use a 3/8" NPT (or possibly NPTF) threaded sump plug.

Other cars use a 3/8" BSPT threaded sump plug.

The two are NOT compatible - use the wrong one and you will get a leak.

https://wavelen.com/2018/03/15/painful-lesson-of-the-day-npt-vs-bspt/

Also, it is ONLY the threads of the PLUG that are Tapered.  The thread of the fitting in the sump is NOT tapered.

10 hours ago, KevinR said:

Small Chassis triumph cars use a 3/8" NPT (or possibly NPTF) threaded sump plug.

The paperwork and packaging definitely said 3/8 npt. The manufacturer Gold make lots of sump plugs. I did check it was tapered but had to trust it was the right thread. As I said the one that came with the car wasn't a taper thread so rattled around and used a copper washer to seal. That weeped as well. So it's either crud in the thread or as you say they put the wrong plug in the packet. The oil has only been in for less than 500 miles but I might be able to drain it into a clean bowl. As to the plug??? 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

I'm not sure you'd want to use a thread sealent on a sump plug, sounds like you'd just be making your next oil change harder!

If it's just a slight weep I'd try wrapping the plug with a few loops of PTFE tape and refitting it.  PTFE tape is a thread lubricant so lets you tighten the plug more than it is now but using less force than you already have, so it goes in tighter but with less risk of damaging the sump.

15 minutes ago, Chris A said:

That is a Triumph design feature to protect the chassis from rust 😉,

It's not the only leak the chassis will still be rusrproofed! 

I only found the issue as I was tidying up and cleaned the catch tray then saw a few spots on my next inspection. 

Iain 

13 hours ago, Iain T said:

I thought Hylomar was a gasket sealant and not suitable for threads? 

Iain 

It won't stick it solid like Loctite and is usd for gaskets against oil. It will allow you to remove the plug in future too.

1 hour ago, Gully said:

The tapered sump plug on mine has some hemp on it to assist - been there for at least 10 years and numerous oil changes without a leak.

Gully

Now there’s a blast from the past, until, and even after, the introduction of ptfe tape, the old pipe fitters used nothing else but hemp and white lead paste “boss white” was a staple on ship engine store orders. I still have a tin in the garage?

Pete

2 hours ago, Wagger said:

It won't stick it solid like Loctite and is usd for gaskets against oil. It will allow you to remove the plug in future too.

The Permatex thread sealant is I believe non hardening, I suppose a bit like Wellseal, so you can disassemble. 

Iain