Is it worth fitting one of those glass inline fuel filters?

corbo62

Hi All,

While browsing through the club shop ordering a few bits and pieces, I saw the glass fuel filter and thought that looks smart i’ll have one of those!

l’ve since read though the fors and against regarding these filters here! 🤦‍♂️

Discovering the filter outlets are 1/4” dia. and the fuel pump lines are 5/16” dia. Do you guys fit brass type barbed reducers or is it possible to get away with either a 1/4” or 5/16” fuel hose alone?

Note to self do a bit more research next time!

Thanks in advance.

I’d use a reducer. You don’t want a loose fuel pipe where you’re relying on squashing it together with a hose clamp, and you don’t want to force a smaller hose over a larger diameter pipe (it’ll be a struggle, and you then risk a split hose somewhere down the line). 

• Thanks 1

eBay list glass fuel filters with either 6mm or 8mm connection, had one fitted in the boot on tank outlet for years. Moved it to under bonnet just before the carburetors earlier this year, then had restarting problems when engine was hot, moved it back to the boot problem solved.

Moved it when fitting gates barricade fuel pipe, classic l should have left what was working alone, car Vitesse 2L.

Regards

Paul

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Straightsix said:

Discovering the filter outlets are 1/4” dia. and the fuel pump lines are 5/16” dia. Do you guys fit brass type barbed reducers or is it possible to get away with either a 1/4” or 5/16” fuel hose alone?

I'm sure I bought my glass filter from carbuilder solutions as they sold one with a 1/4 one end and 5/16 the other. I fitted it by the tank outlet which in my car is 1/4 to the fuel line which is 5/16.part number is FFGLKIT 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T
  • Thanks 1

I've used the glass filters inside the boot on spitfires, but decided against fitting one under the bonnet, very unlikely to get hit by a flying stone, road debris, but, sods law etc. Didn't want to take a chance. I know the early fuel pumps had a glass dome, but decided to go with the plastic filter before the pump on the Vitesse.

• Like 1

I have a (secondhand) Filter King after the pump as despite extra gaskets the pressure is still too high according to my gauge. Unfortunately despite servicing and new parts it appears to have adjustment between 'on' and 'off' with the slightest tweak of the adjuster screw cutting off the fuel entirely, with pressure measured on a 'tee' at the carburettor dropping to zero. It didn't stop the needle valve getting clogged numerous times in the last week either.

IMG_20220524_191125.jpg

Are you measuring the pressure from the regulator while fuel is still entering the float chambers? This is what its intended to control as its very difficult for any regulator to control pressure against a dead end... And keep on adding spacers if you want less pressure from the pump👍 

• Like 1

and the more you play with the fuel hose the more rubber slivers breed .

I agree with Johny   dead end pressures are not controllable get the pump under control by spacing from the block and simplify the filtering 

they lasted 50 years before paranoia filtering got into the aftermarket 

unfortunate but  most problems of debris are the now  aged fuel tanks and fake rubber hose let alone whats been pumped in via the filler over the years 

Pete

On 28/08/2023 at 17:58, Colin Lindsay said:

I must be a cheap sod, I use the plastic filters and replace once a year. :)

I must be even cheaper, still on the plastic one which was on the car when I bought it 10 years, 25000 miles ago. Its still clean though and carry a spare in the boot.

Any need to change it yet.

Clear Plastic for me they come with stepped pipe barb each end to fit either 1/4 or 5/16 in pipe for the larger pipe just cut the smaller diameter length off they also have a right angled piping centre at the inlet or bottom and side outlet at the top which makes for a very neat fitment at the pump inlet.

so cheap I replace every couple of years and. Carry a spare

Must try and get a few spares as I bet the Motor Factors don't stock them any more as modern cars are fuel injected with high pressure metal filters and there's little turn over for the older style classics types!

Plastic Fuel Filter.JPG

Edited by Peter Truman
photo added
  • Thanks 1

On 16/10/2023 at 05:47, Peter Truman said:

Clear Plastic for me they come with stepped pipe barb each end to fit either 1/4 or 5/16 in pipe for the larger pipe just cut the smaller diameter length ff they also have a right angled piping centre at the inlet or bottom and side outlet at the top which makes for a very neat fitment at the pump inlet.

Must try and get a few spares as I bet the Motor Factors don't stock them any more as modern cars are fuel injected with high pressure metal filters and there's little turn over for the older style classics types!

Plastic Fuel Filter.JPG

Well before I take the Spit back up to my daughters 350klm away, after seeing the debris in the old filter I decided to replace it with a similar right angled inlet to outlet pipes. How I wish I hadn't bothered!

Went to 3 Motor Factors first only had filters with inline pipes, second only a Cooper with 5/16in piping OK for the Vitesse so I got it, the third had a box of Ryco units with stepped pipes on both inlet and outlet so both 1/4 and 5/16 hoses could fit, so I brought 3 of them.

Got home and thought I'd fit one, what a Bug**r of a job, I cut the 1/4 in pipe off the filter outlet using 8mm hose it fitted the filter outlet pipe and the fuel pump inlet nice and tightly, so all good, went to fit the inlet 1/4in hose onto the 1/4in pipe barb, no way would it push on, yes the 1/4in inlet hose is old and a little hard with age but still fit for use? so I checked the Outside diameters of the old and new Ryco fiilter, the old original dirty noname unit the 1/4in pipe was 6.3mm , and the 5/16in 7.9mm, whereas the new Ryco was 7.3mm for the 1/4 in pipe and 8.4mm for the 5/16in pipe, nearly 1mm difference in OD for the 1/4in pipe? the Cooper was 7.8mm OD for the 5/16 in pipe OK.

So I had to make a 1/4in to 5/16in reducing adapter, I had pulled apart an old Vitesse Fuel pump eons ago and pulled out the male swetted in 5/16in brass pipe tits, I also had a length of old fridge brass piping which was 6.3mm OD, 4.5mm ID so I drilled down a short length of the 5/16 in brass tit and soldered in a 1.5 inch length of the fridge piping I now had a 5/16 to 1/4in reducer, the 1/4 in length fitted the old hose snugly and the 5/16 in end with a short length of 5/16 or 8mm hose joined up to the filter inlet. Job done all tight no leaks but I did need another 2 pipe clips, and a little waste of time of which I have ample nowadays.

It's the old story things ain't made to the same quality as the oldens even if they have a reputable name?

Ryco vs Cooper Plastic Fuel Filters.JPG