Is it worth fitting one of those glass inline fuel filters?

corbo62

Is it worth fitting one of those glass inline fuel filters?

I have a 1969 Herald 13/60 that is currently running well.

When I first bought the car there was quite a bit of large black floaty detritus in the fuel pump that I cleaned out. However since then nothing new has appeared in the past 12 months.

Installing a glass inline fuel filter before the fuel pump seems to be quite a popular thing to do nowadays, but I'm wondering if it's worthwhile. My fuel pump has a wire mesh in it that seems to prevent any nasties getting to the carburettor, so is the glass fuel filter a good idea? Does it catch other contaminants that the fuel pump filter would miss?

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

I also use the cheap version just before the pump. I change it when the plastic becomes discoloured, i cut open the last one I removed to see what the state was - pretty clean.

At least with the glass/plastic filter you can see if there is any deposit rather than having to open the pump up to have a look.

club shop have been selling the glass /cleanable filters for years ive not heard of any problems 

plastic filters can reduce fuel flow if the pipe stub collapse under hose clip pressure 

and with all filters do check they have the correct bore pipe stubs to suit your hose 

and most fueling debris seems to be introduced after any filter  especially the dreaded rubber slivers you make every time you disturb a fuel hose 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

I think the plastic ones are tacky and quickly look rough. I've had a glass one or 10 years, it still looks good, you can see inside it, you can clean it out and plastic are just as easily punctured as glass to break. 

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

29 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I also use the cheap version just before the pump. I change it when the plastic becomes discoloured, i cut open the last one I removed to see what the state was - pretty clean.

At least with the glass/plastic filter you can see if there is any deposit rather than having to open the pump up to have a look.

Have you got the paper type filter in the right way? The flow is best towards the cone of paper so you can see whats stuck to the outside of it and no need to cut open...

32 minutes ago, johny said:

Have you got the paper type filter in the right way? The flow is best towards the cone of paper so you can see whats stuck to the outside of it and no need to cut open...

The filter was mounted the correct way, there were markings on it. I was just curious and as the plastic was discoloured it wasn't possible to see if there was any debris.

When I changed all the flexible fuel hose on my Vitesse to gates barricade, from the club shop, earliest this year I moved the glass type filter from just after the tank to just before the carburetors. Started getting problems restarting the engine when hot after the car stood for a short while, no problems when the engine was cold, moved filter back to just after the tank and the problem disappeared.

Regards

Paul.

Have used the glass type on a couple of very ancient non Triumph cars.

No problems at all and completely solved some problems which were caused by petrol  debris from aged tanks.

A little care needed  setting them  up  - to avoid  over-tightening  the  ends  as it can scrunch up the black rubber seals which might leak I suppose, - and  to ensure the components are assembled in the  right sequence for it to filter properly

I haven’t worried about  breakage given the sort of use these cars  receive and careful installation should mean they are not subject to mechanical stress.The old glass bowl AC types were  certainly very  tough but I suppose  they might break if dropped from a height onto concrete.

A gadget that combines a fuel pressure regulator and a good  paper filter element in a glass bowl which is very easy to change (  and might even act as a sort of fuel reservoir  for cars that stand unused for a while )is the Malpassi  Filter King.

Mounted on the bulkhead should mean it doesn’t get  all hot and bothered and get a touch of the vapours or vapour locks.

4429E9B4-5BCA-4674-884A-908AC80056E6.thumb.jpeg.b32a81a86c8175750e5a175a451e2742.jpeg

Edited by Unkel Kunkel

Digressing  a bit…I have also used the widely available  type ( as  suppled by the club shop) on two very old non Triumph cars  (1921 and  1924  ABCs - air cooled flat twins  )that I and my fellow volunteers look after.

The filters seem to work very well, solving the cars’ fuel problems, that despite repeated cleaning and de-rusting and repairing the 100 year old tanks had caused frequent breakdowns  and starting issues.

This version of glass filter here have  threaded ends for metal pipe unions but otherwise identical.

The big black thing is the petrol tank.towards the bulkhead the tank incorporates a separate compartment for engine oil ( that is the other tap)

The filters are easily serviced and their appearance  doesn’t  look too out of place   - not too   ‘modern’, like a disposable plastic  one .. perish the thought… 73DE115F-C7FA-4D47-8AAF-5DBBE8CA188D.thumb.jpeg.cb8e77dae486193d30203451de39683e.jpeg

I've used the glass type on a Spitfire but secured inside the boot with a section of old rubber water hose, slit along its length around it. Conveinient to check and clean out any rust particals from the tank. Personally I wouldnt feel comfotable with it exposed to the elements, under the bonnet etc. Just in case road debris, stones etc were to hit it. Very unlikely but sods law etc. 

Edited by Mark B
  • Like 1

Me too cheapie plastic but I get the one with the nozzles stepped for 2 pipe sizes and cut off the smaller also the one with a right angled outlet as it fits the pump suction pipe work very neatly.

No chance of breaking the plastic and condition of filter and debris easily seen and don’t have to bother cleaning also filter medium 

Buy them when there’s a shop 30% special off half a dozen at a time only $20 all up, does  the 3 cars a couple of years

I bought a pack of filters, all see through plastic. One fitted at the tank outlet and the other just before the glass bowled pump. I can see if fuel is present and the condition of the filter. The glass bowled pump remains clean. Had loads of blockages before fitting them. No problems since.

JohnD raced his car, so glass is a No there.